Thread: Mold inspection/remediation company that can be trusted? Advice before new roof?

Mold inspection/remediation company that can be trusted? Advice before new roof?

Hi. can anyone recommend a trustworthy mold inspection company in this area to check for attic mold? After doing a little research on different message boards it seems that this industry is loaded with many companies that play on peoples fear and really try to cash in.

I am getting ready to hire someone to replace roof/gutters and properly vent soffit which is long overdue. If there is any active mold, I have been told once properly vented, it will take care of problem. Last time I was up in attic, there were some questionable sections of dark boards that may have been like that from many years ago.

Bottom line is we plan on eventually moving in the next few years and the roof/gutters is the last thing the house really needs. I would hate replacing the roof now and three years later find out that an old mold issue would require a complete tear off again because of mold issue on inside or something that would affect the sale of the home.
    Any recommendations or advice

Dark stains tend to be old water stains. If you replace the boards when you have the roof re-done it should correct the problem. Regardless, any reputable roofer will replace bad boards anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by eastsidenot View Post
    Hi. can anyone recommend a trustworthy mold inspection company in this area to check for attic mold? After doing a little research on different message boards it seems that this industry is loaded with many companies that play on peoples fear and really try to cash in.

I am getting ready to hire someone to replace roof/gutters and properly vent soffit which is long overdue. If there is any active mold, I have been told once properly vented, it will take care of problem. Last time I was up in attic, there were some questionable sections of dark boards that may have been like that from many years ago.

Bottom line is we plan on eventually moving in the next few years and the roof/gutters is the last thing the house really needs. I would hate replacing the roof now and three years later find out that an old mold issue would require a complete tear off again because of mold issue on inside or something that would affect the sale of the home.
    Any recommendations or advice
    A couple of points on some recent experience.

1 - Last fall had new blown in attic insulation put in but asked if they could give me a couple of weeks between taking it out and putting it back in. Said it was not typical but not a problem at all. If you have the option to do this I would. We took this time to rewire all of the upstairs bedrooms but in your case it would allow you to dry out and possibly paint (Kilz or similar) your attic.

2 - I also just had some water damage in my kitchen that is leading to a whole first floor unplanned remodel. Anyways, I just got the invoice that's being sent to my insurance company on the cost of their work. If you need to dry out your attic and have mold removed I would at least price out renting a dehumidifier on your own if you have to pay out of pocket. They are charging my insurance company close to $900 for use of equipment over 3 days that could have been rented for ~$300 at home depot. I am not paying for this so it's no skin off my back but figure I would mention.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    Dark stains tend to be old water stains. If you replace the boards when you have the roof re-done it should correct the problem. Regardless, any reputable roofer will replace bad boards anyways.
    That's what I am guessing what it is...but There is a large section above the kitchen that is dark from what I remember. I am guess if I were hire a home inspector to come in and check it out for my own peace of mind he could give an honest opinion, but again...who to trust..A for sale sign on the front lawn seems so much easier! lol

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    A couple of points on some recent experience.

1 - Last fall had new blown in attic insulation put in but asked if they could give me a couple of weeks between taking it out and putting it back in. Said it was not typical but not a problem at all. If you have the option to do this I would. We took this time to rewire all of the upstairs bedrooms but in your case it would allow you to dry out and possibly paint (Kilz or similar) your attic.

2 - I also just had some water damage in my kitchen that is leading to a whole first floor unplanned remodel. Anyways, I just got the invoice that's being sent to my insurance company on the cost of their work. If you need to dry out your attic and have mold removed I would at least price out renting a dehumidifier on your own if you have to pay out of pocket. They are charging my insurance company close to $900 for use of equipment over 3 days that could have been rented for ~$300 at home depot. I am not paying for this so it's no skin off my back but figure I would mention.

Good luck.
    So you had someone remove all your old insulation in attic?

My house was built in mid 50's and original old insulation is still there..its that black stuff that is only like 2 in thick. about 12 years ago I added insulation myself...the fiberglass bats over top of the old stuff. That is also when I added some ventilation to the soffit..but I'm sure not enough. While I usually never minded doing everything around the house myself in the past , I know my limits these days and this roof project is beyond me...maybe when I was younger...but not anymore! lol

That's what I am guessing what it is...but There is a large section above the kitchen that is dark from what I remember. I am guess if I were hire a home inspector to come in and check it out for my own peace of mind he could give an honest opinion, but again...who to trust..A for sale sign on the front lawn seems so much easier! lol
    You can call a home inspector and he can probably tell you if it needs remediation. He'll have no skin in the game because he's not allowed to by law, and you'll have peace of mind. Or, you can just have the roofers replace the questionable boards. if its just on the boards it is almost assuredly just an old leak. The roofing company may even be able to tell you from underneath. If you go the home inspector route, call Rick Pezzino from Accuview Home Inspections or Derek Ljiljanich from Shield Inspection Service.

So you had someone remove all your old insulation in attic?

My house was built in mid 50's and original old insulation is still there..its that black stuff that is only like 2 in thick. about 12 years ago I added insulation myself...the fiberglass bats over top of the old stuff. That is also when I added some ventilation to the soffit..but I'm sure not enough. While I usually never minded doing everything around the house myself in the past , I know my limits these days and this roof project is beyond me...maybe when I was younger...but not anymore! lol

Yes. It was step 1 of the job. It was blown in so they essentially came with a large vacuum and had everything out in a couple of hours. When they came back in they did a bunch of prep work and then blew in new stuff. That took just a bit longer.

Was told the whole thing could be done in a day.

Thread Information