Poll: Think Donn is correct with his editorial?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donn Esmonde: Olmsted deal being flubbed by Brown

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Donn Esmonde: Olmsted deal being flubbed by Brown

Donn Esmonde: Olmsted deal being flubbed by Brown

If it is fixed, break it. So it goes in America’s third-poorest city. We get something that works, and the mayor insists on messing it up.
    The latest apparent casualty is the Olmsted parks.
    The true believers—most of them volunteers—of the Olmsted Parks Conservancy keep the city’s six-park legacy in fine shape. Every tax dollar it gets to run Delaware, Riverside, Front, South, Cazenovia and Martin Luther King parks basically buys twice as much in services, given the conservancy’s hundreds of volunteers and millions of dollars in donations. Last year, it also trained 300 welfare-to-work folks.
    It might be the best buy in local government, but somebody needs to inform the mayor.
    Read the full story at the Buffalo News

Unregistered

Thank you!

Tony;

Thank you for posting important commentary by one of my favorite "Bflo Liberals'.

This issue is important . . & I hope that many SUWNY readers will attend the demonstration called by the Conservancy on Sunday at MLK Park.

I visited MLK Park during my visit to Bflo in late June, impressed that the MLK statue area finally looked minimally-decent after years of shameful neglect of a memorial to a major civil rights hero, right in the middle of the Black community.

BTW: I would urge that the entire Esmonde article be posted here for easy access.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    BTW: I would urge that the entire Esmonde article be posted here for easy access.
    The paper sells advertising. They pay donn to write. People can click and read the full article on the buffalo news website and give the advertisers some views.

I generally like Esmonds column, as he calls it like he sees it. I agree with his position and most of critical commentary as to how things "operate" here.

its mayor brown wanting to have his hand in everything he should just leave it alone these parks have never looked so good maybe brownie doesnt know how they looked in the past since he is not from Buffalo
    "PAY POLICE LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT"
    "WE ARE HERE TO PROTECT YOUR ASS NOT KISS IT"
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by unioncop View Post
    its mayor brown wanting to have his hand in everything he should just leave it alone these parks have never looked so good maybe brownie doesnt know how they looked in the past since he is not from Buffalo
    Can anyone else agree with that? Are they doing a fine job?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Can anyone else agree with that? Are they doing a fine job?
    The Olmsted parks have looked great and the effort put forth by the Conservancy has been stellar. If I had my druthers, I would ask for some type of leniency in fees, though. But, with a large deposit in case of errant renters. Take before and after pics of the area rented for proof and keep the deposit if it isn't properly maintained at the end of the rental.

I believe the situation should remain the same as it was under the County. Unfortunately, the County did not do well with city parks under that agreement and who is to say it will improve under the city? But, with the transition, we'll have to see. However, Olmsted should continue as it has.

Unregistered

Olmsted Conservancy is doing well

There is broad concensus that the Conservancy is doing well, reflected in the 13 to 1 vote in the survey above.

During my visit to Bflo in June, MLK Park looked better than any time in the 20 years or so I have monitored it. Activist Rosa Gibson often organized clean-ups from her nearby CAIC offices to address shameful conditions in the park.

The Conservancy is also proud of their job in MLK Park, reflected in their scheduling the rally there on Sunday.

Remember, Byron Brown was Masten Dist Councilman, in which MLK Park is located, before going to the NYS Senate. He lived not far from the park (613 E Ferry) at the time, & certainly has campaigned there during every Juneteenth in an election year.

"UnionCop" is being unfair to Byron, calling him 'not from Bflo', where he has lived for about 25 years.

He is clearly now a "bflonian" . . unlike all the 10,000's of those "from Bflo", now gone. His problem now appears to be primarily greed for power . . . & weak ethics.

The paper sells advertising. They pay donn to write. People can click and read the full article on the buffalo news website and give the advertisers some views.
    I guess that's why you find this at the bottom of every page on their site:
    © 2009 The Buffalo News. The information you receive online from The Buffalo News is protected by the copyright laws of the United States.
    The copyright laws prohibit any copying, redistributing, re-transmitting, or re-purposing of any copyright-protected material.

not true-exactly

NY Times lost a law suit on that issue - as long as your not misleading, show who wrote it, and its for informational - to generate income - its on the internet - its free game.

these characters:
    DOCTYPEhtmlPUBLIC "-//
    are in their source code. that means its open to everyone. Right click on the bufnew website front page - here now - "view source"

it should look like this:
    DOCTYPE
    html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr" lang="en">

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />

<meta name="generator" content="vBulletin 3.7.3" />

<meta name="keywords" content="Buffalo New York NY News Politics Blog Forum Erie County hobbies" />

<meta name="description" content="Buffalo NY New York News Politics Blog" />

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Tony Fracasso - Admin

i did
    "PAY POLICE LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT"
    "WE ARE HERE TO PROTECT YOUR ASS NOT KISS IT"
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Unregistered

More need to sign!

PLEASE! Sign up!!

Byron will not be much moved by merely . . .

2433 Total Signatures
    The Olmsted Parks are a REGIONAL asset, all you suburban SUWNY city-watchers need to get inviolved!

Quote Originally Posted by kernwatch View Post
    PLEASE! Sign up!!

Byron will not be much moved by merely . . .

The Olmsted Parks are a REGIONAL asset, all you suburban SUWNY city-watchers need to get inviolved!
    Signed. I don't know how much good these petitions do, but the Olmsted Parks system is one of the best things Buffalo has going.

Unregistered

Olmsted Petition has been very serious

"fiona":

Thank you for signing.

I agree that normally such petitions deteriorate into a playground for anonymous vandals and cannot be taken seriously But not this petition, which has been signed by a cross section of obviously sincere & concerned citizens, with many thoughtful comments. It includes community leaders, many of whom even gave their addresses &/or phone numbers.

For those unable to participate in other ways, I urge you to sign:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information