Thread: Beleaguered Elmwood block is showing signs of change

Beleaguered Elmwood block is showing signs of change

The block of Elmwood Avenue between West Utica Street and Hodge Avenue in Buffalo that has looked beleaguered this past year, with empty storefronts and building construction, is showing signs of change.

A shop with a modern twist on preppy fashions just opened. Sleek new loft apartments are nearly ready for rent. A beautification plan has been hatched for a bleak parking ramp. And there is talk of new life for a former Pier 1 store.
    All are heartening developments for one retailer who has worried about the profusion of for-rent signs on the block, half a mile from the more prosperous seeming Auburn Avenue intersection.

"I thought when I moved over here . . . I was taking such a big risk," said Jetaun Jones owner of the eight-month-old BeYouTiful boutique at 513 Elmwood.

With Lu Modern Classics' opening last week in the newly complete four-story building at 504 Elmwood, along with other new businesses in the works, Jones expects her own trade in women's designer dresses and street wear will do better. "When people have more options, they're more likely to come," she said.

The short block has attracted millions of dollars in investment in the past year in spite of its high proportion of closed stores.

Elmwood's reputation for drawing shoppers and diners from the suburbs along with urban professionals has made it one of the city's most vibrant districts.
    "It's intense. Everyone wants to be here," said Frank Crowe, a project manager with Johnson & Sons, an owner of the building at 504 Elmwood.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...11/1060279.asp
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Too trendy an area for me, Steven.

Clue me in on whether C&K Auto Care is closing or whether the Toro dealership on Main & Minnesota is expanding and I'll weigh in.

But I just can't hope to keep up with you hip cats.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

^ speaking of Toro...

I think the buffalo snews overly dramatizes the problems on that block. It did have a lot of For Lease signs come up at once, but it was hardly "beleagured"

That block also has Toro restaurant/bar, Faherties bar, Louies hot dogs, and Casa Di Pizza. All those places are very popular. (and Biker, the only real trendy one is Toro! )

The big losses were Pier One and Sweet Tooth, but I'm sure those stores will be rented again soon.

There are just as many vacant stores (plus mostly crummy old homes) at the Bidwell-Forest end of Elmwood, but that isn't "beleagured". Odd choice of words.

btw - the "NIGHTMARE ON ELMWOOD" sign has been taken down, revealing the old Don Apparel sign. That place is almost gone - the hotel is soon to come.

Quote Originally Posted by ForestBird
    btw - the "NIGHTMARE ON ELMWOOD" sign has been taken down, revealing the old Don Apparel sign. That place is almost gone - the hotel is soon to come.
    I noticed that, seems they have given up the fight
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Thread Information