Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would it take to dissolve the NFTA?

Just remember that even without the NFTA running the bus system, it will still need to be supported with public funds.

I disagree with that.

What we need to do is to deregulate transportation, get rid of inefficient public monopolies and let the market work.

Right now, it's a crime to compete with the NFTA. How stupid is that?

well said Jim
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Where is there an unsubsidized bus/train system?

I sure hope that nothing else gets "deregulated" the way the electric industry was, in New York. The rates have done nothing but rise, since that happened. Sometimes "the market" stinks.

I'd rather fix the inefficiencies in a system than toss the whole thing out.
    Last edited by Edisonic; September 2nd, 2006 at 08:50 PM.

Sometimes people call something deregulation when it isn't, as in California's allaged energy deregulation. That way, they can blame the free market for what the government did.

Quote Originally Posted by Edisonic
    Where is there an unsubsidized bus/train system?

I sure hope that nothing else gets "deregulated" the way the electric industry was, in New York. The rates have done nothing but rise, since that happened. Sometimes "the market" stinks.

I'd rather fix the inefficiencies in a system than toss the whole thing out.
    Unsubsidized public transportation disappeared around the early '60s. That was the point at which people made the choice to utilize other methods of transportation making public transportation unprofitable.

You can't blame electric rates on the market when there there is a high degree of government manipulation in the service. Think "NEW YORK STATE POWER AUTHORITY!"

By default the market can't "stink" unless it is not truly free. People do not spend more for goods & services than the perceived value. It is the combination of value and competition that keeps the market honest and prevents over-charging.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski
    Because the Bills are mainly market driven (except for the socialized statium costs), the NFTA is not. They're a bureaucracy.

Leave aside the people involved, the NFTA is political becasue that's the nature of authorities. They're unaccountable because that's the nature of authorities. They move like snails because that's the nature of authorities.

GET RID OF AUTHORITIES!

Abolish, privatize, or make them part of the democratically-elected executive branch so at least we know who to blame if they screw up.

I've said a lot more at freebuffalo.org--News Alerts and Policy Reports.
    I'm not going to disagree with you about the authorities, but what would you do as an alternative???? Who would provide Water, manage transportation, etc.???

I am not comfortable putting it back in the true governmental level to be completely run by elected officials.

Quote Originally Posted by LAsurvivor
    I'm not going to disagree with you about the authorities, but what would you do as an alternative???? Who would provide Water, manage transportation, etc.???

I am not comfortable putting it back in the true governmental level to be completely run by elected officials.
    Other cities have put their water systems in the hands of private business to run. They put it out to bid, the key is having a good performance contract that includes maintenance and improvement standards.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    And so with gods and men

[QUOTE=DelawareDistrict]Unsubsidized public transportation disappeared around the early '60s. That was the point at which people made the choice to utilize other methods of transportation making public transportation unprofitable.

this is a good point the people chose to not use them and they went out of business. but our leaders did not listen to the people and took controll and its been a political football ever since.
    maybe fisher could run it.
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by DelawareDistrict
    Unsubsidized public transportation disappeared around the early '60s. That was the point at which people made the choice to utilize other methods of transportation making public transportation unprofitable.
    But not everyone can afford cars.

So ya think the entire bus system should just be dismantled?

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel ready
    But not everyone can afford cars.

So ya think the entire bus system should just be dismantled?
    When I look at figures like 12% of workers in Buffalo utilize public transportation to go to work and 26% of people live at or below the poverty level, i question whether all the money subsidizing it would have yielded better benefits by lowering taxes and spurring private investment that creates jobs.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    And so with gods and men

When I look at figures like 12% of workers in Buffalo utilize public transportation to go to work and 26% of people live at or below the poverty level, i question whether all the money subsidizing it would have yielded better benefits by lowering taxes and spurring private investment that creates jobs.
    You're forgetting all the people unemployed and on welfare

And I would assume the money saved in NOT subsidizing the bus system would only be a drop in the bucket as far as providing more money to spur private investment.

Much of WNYs employment problems are due to state, national, and global issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel ready
    You're forgetting all the people unemployed and on welfare

And I would assume the money saved in NOT subsidizing the bus system would only be a drop in the bucket as far as providing more money to spur private investment.

Much of WNYs employment problems are due to state, national, and global issues.
    I'm not forgetting anybody. WNY's unemployment is due to lack of private investment. Taxation eats up money that would otherwise be available in the private economy. That is the pool of money the investment originates from. Consumers will spend more, creating more investment. And Investors will have more money to invest.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    And so with gods and men

WNY's unemployment is due to lack of private investment. Taxation eats up money that would otherwise be available in the private economy.
    Taxation is one of many factors behind our lackluster economy.

dont dismantel the buses privatize them and run only the routes with enough riders to pay the way. we subsidize everything and raise taxes to do it. stop all subsidies and let the economy run with out government interference
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information