Thread: Holland Town Tax rate to TRIPLE IN 2007!!!

Holland Town Tax rate to TRIPLE IN 2007!!!

i CAN'T BELIEVE IT!! The Town tax rate for the Town of Holland will be TRIPLED !!!! in 2007 There is going to be a lot of property going up for sale next year. That is, if people can find a buyer . No wonder people move out of this State.

The tax rate tripled? Was there a reval there last year/this year?

They have been doing a yearly property assessment revaluation every year for the past 2 or 3 years. They are going to be doing the same for at least the next 2 years. The Town went to 100% FULL VALUATION and then did the yearly reval thing.

The Town went to 100% FULL VALUATION and then did the yearly reval thing.
    That's what I was kind of figuring. Do you know what the equalization rate was before?
    This is important - because it means the taxes aren't actually tripling.

I think it was around 80 % . The Town tax rate is around $2.99 Per Thousand. They are talking about the Town taxes tripiling. That would mean that the Town Tax rate would be around $9.00 a thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    The tax rate tripled? Was there a reval there last year/this year?
    I thought tax rates tended to drop when there was a reval, at least when the community goes to full market value. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    I thought tax rates tended to drop when there was a reval, at least when the community goes to full market value. What am I missing?
    Yeah, you're right. I realized that last nite, after posting. That's why i'm trying to keep quite now, and let this thread go to sleep.
    Shhhhh.

Had the meeting tonight. The current Town tax is .40 per thousand. The new budget is expected to raise the town tax up to $1.20 or $1.28 per thousand. A house assessed at 100,000. will see the town portion of their tax go up $80.00 to $90.00 . This is not counting any increase in the County property tax for 2007.
    Last edited by farmall806; September 13th, 2006 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall806
    I think it was around 80 % . The Town tax rate is around $2.99 Per Thousand. They are talking about the Town taxes tripiling. That would mean that the Town Tax rate would be around $9.00 a thousand.
    In a VERY nice part of Alabama, where it looks like East Amherst and Clarence... all over ... We pay $400 on a 1700 sq. ft. new home - a year in taxes.

You want to ask where this money is going to go, and transmography what it looks like by putting it on a 24"x36" poster in a Pie Chart format.

Gas where I am at is at $2.50 and under a gallon.
    Activity + Opportunity = Success

Quote Originally Posted by farmall806
    Had the meeting tonight. The current Town tax is .40 per thousand. The new budget is expected to raise the town tax up to $1.20 or $1.28 per thousand. A house assessed at 100,000. will see the town portion of their tax go up $80.00 to $90.00 . This is not counting any increase in the County property tax for 2007.
    Sounds like Holland's esteemed leaders practically emptied your town's surplus last year to keep this year's tax rate down. Was there an election in Holland town government this year?

Read this in The News:

HOLLAND
    Huge tax hike in preliminary budget
    By EILEEN WERBITSKY
    Southtowns Correspondent
    9/14/2006

Holland taxpayers can expect a dramatic increase in their tax bills for 2007 based on a preliminary budget approved by the Town Board Wednesday.
    The preliminary 2007 tax rate per $1,000 of assessed valuation will be $1.29, up from 40 cents this year - an increase of more than 300 percent.

Spending is up only 0.6 of a percent, or $4,000.

Why will next year's $744,000 budget impact taxpayers so much more than this year's $740,000 spending plan?

Supervisor Michael Kasprzyk said last year's budget relied on using the unexpended fund balance. Under the leadership of then-Supervisor Gordon Hessel Jr., the board used almost $250,000 of reserve fund balance to ease the tax burden.

This year, the board plans to use $50,000 of the unexpended fund balance to offset some of the town's expenses. With only $140,000 remaining in the emergency account, Kasprzyk said the board was not comfortable using more money.

"It has resulted in a significant increase in taxes without a significant increase in spending," he said, "but we concluded there was nothing else we could cut without significantly affecting the services in the town."

For a house assessed at $100,000, taxes will rise about $90, he said.

A public hearing on the proposed budget is scheduled for 8 p.m. Oct. 11 in Town Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    When Lancaster did their reval to full market value, my taxes went up 45%. I now pay a couple thousand extra for the same services.

Quote Originally Posted by 1964
    In a VERY nice part of Alabama, where it looks like East Amherst and Clarence... all over ... We pay $400 on a 1700 sq. ft. new home - a year in taxes.
    I'm not condoning high taxes, far from it, but in this case I suspect you're getting what you pay for. What part of Alabama is this? What services do you get for that $400? Snowplow? Obviously no. Trash pickup? What about the education? Police? Just curious. Any 'hidden' taxes like personal property, car registration,etc?

And, FWIW, my taxes in Lancaster went up over 66% after the reval.
    "At a minimum, a head of state should have a head."- Vladimir Putin

and i am quite sure they will go up again.....but after the elections...they will have to after giving away that so called extra cash they have on hand to give everyone before voting season

Thread Information