Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Drive-By Shooting In Amherst -- It's True!

Quote Originally Posted by |- Amherst Stakeholder -|
    John Moslow lived on Springville. I
    I went to school with his son, played in his back yard and it was not on Springville. Maybe 30 years ago but for the last 30 he has be in the village.

The real issue is that the Amherst Police do not yet know how to address the problems of an aging community like Eggertsville. Their pattern so far has been to deny that issues exist. I've heard that and seen that with my own senses. It should have been embarrassing to John Moslow when he tried to didge the facts presented to him at the meeting I referenced before. But I think that he believes nobody will catch him. The facts are the facts. Allenhurst is a crtime magnet that the APD cannot find a way to foil. Peterson is too good at controlling Amherst politicians like Moslow.

This nonsense about more patrol cars in Eggertsville that the rest of the town combined is pure crap! I'm in Eggertsville on a regular basis. Maybe what you mean is that there are more police responses at Allenhurst that the rest of the town combined. But according to the police, that's not true. Of course the facts don't support the police. I remember that police call statistics were posted by the Eggertsville Community group a few years ago. It was quite compelling. They were posted only after soo many on this very message board tried to deny that there was a problem. Then, faced with the facts, many of those deniers simply clamed up.

I still would like to know the facts of how you consider APD low caliber. I take great offense to your term "Hollywood" cops. My wife's father was an officer in a town like Amherst. I say was because he was killed in the line of duty. On a domestic disturbance call in a middle class neighborhood. Probably like the one you live in By some hot head who was drunk and beating his wife. Dare I draw the line?
    Now over the course of his 15 years, he did not deal with Gangs. He did not have drive by shootings every night.
    He did have Fatal DUI's to attend to. Like the one that happened on the Blvd two weeks ago. He did have beaten wives to deal with. He did have beaten children to attend to. He saw it every day and did not bring it home. He did not bring it to the papers because he was paid to keep that SH*T out of the neighbors home. Your reference to any officer as Hollywood is an insult. I would love to have you say that in person to me. I am a computer programmer not an officer. I have attended a funeral of a fallen officer and would like to share with you some emotions. How about the next time I am home we meet up for a beer. Maybe the creek view. We can talk and you can say officers are Hollywood like a man to another mans face. Then you can call the APD and hope they are prepared to handle the situation.

What do you do stakeholder? What is noble about your life. If for example you were killed by a drunken driver today, who would remember you?
    You can have the opinion that they are overpaid. You can say that you think there are too many for the town. But I really dare you to say to my face or imply that they are Hollywood!

Quote Originally Posted by communicator
    ............. Your the poster child for it. ..........
    Hey, Commumicator, here's an apostrophe free of charge ---> ' .... I think you meant "you're", not "Your". Communicator? OK.

About your fact 1 and fact 2... I heard John Moslow say that there were two patrols in Williamsville and one for Eggertsville. Maybe he was wrong. Maybe he changed things around... but why would he do that... according to him, there's no problem(s) in Eggertsville.

About your fact 3 and fact 4.... So, how many patrols and/or cars are there and to which areas are they assigned and who's paying for them??

About your fact 5... maybe so. I am in Eggertsville daily for, oh, the past 40 years. Only once --- that's once in 40 years!! -- did I cross a "checkpoint" of ANY kind... on Bailey near Bocce Pizza... and that was (I'm rather certain) by a murder suicide that had just occured in Buffalo off of Bailey. And, just for the record, my travels in the area are at all times of the day & night... weekdays... weeknights...weekends... hol.idays. Coincidence like that for fourty years is quite remarkable.

About your fact 6... No other residential area has as high a crime count as Eggertsville. None. But, actually, according to Moslow, crime in Eggertsville is virtually non-existant.... and certainly nothing to be noteworthy... not even at Allenhurst.

The fact is there has now been a drive-by shooting in Amherst. There's no denying it! It happened. Apparently, crime is escalating... since I believe that most people in the area would consider a drive-by shooting to be more intense a "crime" than a drowning or auto accident or bicycle theft or elderly falling out of bed (is that even a 'crime'?... maybe to hollywood cops it is? wow.).

I've fallen and I can't get up... please don't arrest me!

Actually, this isn't the first drive by shooting in town and the first wasn't in Eggertsville.

Second, there is no period in the middle of the word holiday.

Next you spelled the word "fourty" WRONG...it is spelled "forty" Mr. glass house dweller.

The fact is that all of these crimes and assist the resident calls have to be answered. The officers don't pick and chose which calls they are going to respond to. Contrary to what you think, they answer ALL of them professionally and as quickly as possible.

PS... you also spelled Communicator wrong (Commumicator)

Maybe one day soon, and I hope it is really soon, you'll need assistance getting off the floor and will call begging for help and the "Hollywood" cops will be too busy to help you.

Where is the reply stakeholder.....

Come on, I see you are online and looking at this thread. How about my offer. Want to grab a beer and talk about things?

I heard John Moslow say that there were two patrols in Williamsville and one for Eggertsville. Maybe he was wrong.
    Maybe you need a miracle ear. I hear Bill O'Reilly is looking for some fact checkers. You'd fit right in.

In rethinking your comment about Eggertsville being the most crime ridden area in town. I would probably agree and I have no way to prove you right or wrong. But I would think that is largely due to the fact that Eggertsville has the most shopping areas in town. Eggertsville runs from the Ridge Lea to Main St. and from Niagara Falls Blvd. to Millersport.

Quote Originally Posted by communicator
    In rethinking your comment about Eggertsville being the most crime ridden area in town. I would probably agree and I have no way to prove you right or wrong. But I would think that is largely due to the fact that Eggertsville has the most shopping areas in town. Eggertsville runs from the Ridge Lea to Main St. and from Niagara Falls Blvd. to Millersport.
    Interesting point about the concentration of shopping in Eggertsville. Is the concentration greater than along Transit Road? Just wondering. We may not hear about whatever crime occurs there because Clarence is on the other side.

And Tonawanda is on the other side of NFB. But that's probably irrelevant. The higher rates of crime are related to the proximity to Buffalo. I believe it's what the politicians refer to as "spill over" crime.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    Interesting point about the concentration of shopping in Eggertsville. Is the concentration greater than along Transit Road? Just wondering. We may not hear about whatever crime occurs there because Clarence is on the other side.
    I think the amount of shopping centers on the Niagara Falls Blvd side is greater. Transit has many also but many are car dealerships and office complexes.

|- Amherst Polesmoker -| still waiting to hear from you.....

Response to Stakeholder

First I must admit perhaps the 48 hour prediction was knee jerk however I still believe the Department will make an arrest on this incident.

As far as being pro-active the Police Department has many more personnel working in the Eggertsville area than anyone here may realize. For instance in addition to the regular patrols (4,5, and 9) there are Traffic Cars, unmarked cars being worked by plain clothes and uniformed officers (car 15), and the Detective Cars. Additonally Narcotics officers are working ongoing cases in the Eggertsville area; and as I recall executed search warrants in the recent past.

I have no idea when these meetings were held with Chief Moslow or what the climate at that time was as far as criminal activity. I also don't doubt your recollection of the meetings content but I do know that the Chief recently has pointed out that police officers are needed to fullfill the mission of the Department in the Eggertsville area as well as other areas of the town. The police manpower will continue to go down as senior officers are retiring unless more officers are hired.

Is Anyone Really Surprised

As a former resident of Callodine, and now a homeowner a couple of blocks away, I can't understand why anyone would be surprised about the crime rate in Eggertsville, and the drive-by that recently occurred there.

The area is the poorest in Amherst.....and yes, unfortunately there is a direct correlation to the amount of crime. Some may argue which comes first, but its not astonishing that crime and poverty find each other.

What the board can do:
    1. Continue to fund patrols in the area. Arrest and prosecute the area thugs.
    2. Make sure they support tough judges
    3. Enforce the codes - which they don't in this area
    4. Work on the rat problem -- which has improved here believe it or not. (its just moving north and east now)
    5. Fight the government subsidy that is killing this area (most government subsidies have the same effect....they breed victims and social problems)

What the residents can do while they are here:

1. Report illegal behavior when you see it.
    2. Stand up for your neighborhoods. This includes parents who try to let their kids play at Windemere while teenagers there congregate, spout obsenities, and generally ruin it for little kids. Take a stand and speak up when you see it. Most thugs are cowards.
    3. Take care of your property and push your neighbors to do the same.
    4. Get to know your neighbors; they'll be there for you when you need them.

Our plan - unfortunately - is to get out as soon as possible. Its a matter of economics, and when we can afford to move our kids to a place where it is less likely a drive-by occurs, we will.

The projects aren't going anywhere. The Town Board isn't from here anymore. The police are only doing the best they can. And, the trash ain't smelling any better as time goes on.

I think that there's a lot to be said for the relationship of both poverty and general conditions of property to crime rates. Besides the subsidized "projects", there is also a high percentage (relative to other areas) of rental properties. There are a couple of contributing factors there. First is that someone is not going to have quite the same dedication when renting vs. owning. But also very important is the type of landlords. Property owners that either are or are approaching what is known as a slumlord need to be held accountable as well. It's their property after all, even if they aren't living on that property. It can be incredibly hard to gain proper momentum, but I believe that fixing up, improving and maintaining one's property can be contageous.

On a completely different note, I have been to a few other places outside of the USA. I have seen several communities that are poor like people in Amherst have never known, but I noticed an incredible difference in those communities to what you'd see in almost any lower income area here. The residents very neatly dressed, with pressed shirts and pants, and clean shaven. The typical dwelling was a one or two room structure resembling not much more than a hut or shack, with no electricity or running water. Yet the modest amount of land surrounding their homes was neatly kept, free of debris, and generally about as attractive as one could make it. There was a sense of pride that was undeniable. They didn't have much, but they had what they had, they had their families and worked an honest living to support themselves.

I still think about that stuff years later. It's all at once depressing and inspiring.

Outside Amherst

Yes, having travelled abroad, I can agree. Of course in many other countries, the "sense of entitlement" that blankets the U.S. hasn't reared its ugly head.

Here, when you are poor, you are treated like a victim. Likewise, many poor folks act that way. America -- come to think of it -- is becoming the land of the free, the brave and the victimized.

Show me ten poor people in America and I'll show you 8 that had it coming for one reason or another. (and no, we're not counting kids.... at least not until they've grown and most likely inherited their parents sense of entitlement).

America is still the land of opportunity; unfortunately, somewhere along the way, many people began thinking that opportunity was something owed to them, not something earned.

And where there is entitlement - laziness, lack of principle, and selfishness aren't far behind.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information