Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Drive-By Shooting In Amherst -- It's True!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by |- Amherst Stakeholder -|
    If the overall Town Of Amherst crime volume and proportion of unsolved crime was what it is in Eggertsville, would Amherst have the same "Safest City" ranking? Would it? If not, would it be higher?
    Last I knew Brick Township, NJ was recognized as "the safest city in America," Amherst was closely behind them, ranking as the second safest. Regardless of who's number one, you know your question is silly. Unless Amherst was hit with an A-Bomb, your hypothetical is virtually impossible. I'm sure the wealthier neighborhoods do have their fair sure of burglaries but with the lack of the criminal element residing within their general vicinity, I can't see the same type of crimes happening there as that of which takes place in Eggertsville and Looney Acres.

Like I've mentioned previously, APD may not have shown a strong presence in Loony Acres, but when dispatched to the area, you couldn't ask for better service. Okay, maybe you could. By the way, don't kid yourself by thinking a bigger police presence will stop the criminal minded. It only delays their crimes for the moment. Once the "po-po" are out of sight, the gig goes on.

I think you need to go visit another town similar to Amherst and compare police services. I think you'd find Amherst to be top-notch in comparison to nearly any other police force.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA

Like I've mentioned previously, APD may not have shown a strong presence in Loony Acres, but when dispatched to the area, you couldn't ask for better service. Okay, maybe you could. By the way, don't kid yourself by thinking a bigger police presence will stop the criminal minded. It only delays their crimes for the moment. Once the "po-po" are out of sight, the gig goes on.
    The Kansas City Police experiment in 1972 backs you up on this point as far as presence...Here is a summation of that experiment conducted in Kansas City, Mo.

[edit] Design
    The experiment was designed to answer the following questions:

Would citizens notice changes in the level of police patrol?
    Would different levels of visible police patrol affect recorded crime or the outcome of victim surveys?

Would citizen fear of crime and attendant behavior change as a result of differing patrol levels?

Would their degree of satisfaction with police change?

The design took three police beats in Kansas City, and varied patrol routine in them. The first group received no routine patrols, instead the police responded only to calls from residents. The second group had the normal level of patrols, while the third had two to three times as many patrols.

Victim surveys, reported crime rates, arrest data, a survey of local businesses, attitudinal surveys, and trained observers who monitored police-citizen interaction were used to gather data.

[edit] Major findings
    Citizens did not notice the difference when the frequency of patrols was changed.

Increasing or decreasing the level of patrol had no significant effect on resident and commercial burglaries, auto thefts, larcenies involving auto accessories, robberies, or vandalism–crimes.

The rate at which crimes were reported did not differ significantly across the experimental beats.

Citizen reported fear of crime was not affected by different levels of patrol.
    Citizen satisfaction with police did not vary.

[edit] Conclusions drawn
    The Kansas City Police Department drew the conclusion that routine preventive patrol in marked police cars has little value in preventing crime or making citizens feel safe and that resources normally allocated to these activities could safely be allocated elsewhere.

Obviously there was no "Kansas City Stakeholder".
    You can observe alot just by watching.
    Yogi Berra, Berra's Law

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by The Constable
    Obviously there was no "Kansas City Stakeholder".
    Ba-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

That study generally supports Satish Mohan's comments of some months ago.

Do you really want to rely on a study that was done over a quarter century ago. How many cell phone transmissions were studied during that evaluation? I see no reference to in-car computers... why? I see no reference to any specific demographic that would approximate the Allenhurst Apartents.

BTW, I am already familiar with the KC evaluation. Why don'y *YOU* post the two opposing studies that were condusted in 1978 and 1993?

Oh and I failed to see any reference to the future in the KC study.

It's old. It's outdated. But you want to hang your hat on it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Constable
    ...routine preventive patrol in marked police cars has little value in preventing crime or making citizens feel safe and that resources normally allocated to these activities could safely be allocated elsewhere....
    So, we could save money by 'staging' police cars at various locations (such as parking lots) like some ambulance services do? Why doesn't the APD do this? Wouldn't it be smart?

APD and reality

Here are a few facts: 1) Although the Amherst Police are exceptional police officers, they are NOT the "super cops" so many posters laud them as. 2) It is VERY POSSIBLE that there is a LOT of crime in Amherst that is NEVER reported JUST MAYBE to keep Amherst high in the safest city rankings 3) If elite Amherst wants to be proactive and keep its magical city safe from a crime wave, I honestly think that they should hire TWO DOZEN more police officers NOW (never thought I'd say that!), despite what the town board says about budget problems. 4) It isn't fair to expect the mighty Amherst or any police force to be ubiquitous-Unless you literally have a police car on every single corner, crime wil happen. Its just a matter of WHAT CRIMES MAKE THE NEWS and the LAW ENFORCEMENT STATISTICS. No. I'm paranoid. The APD and town board would NEVER "cover up," "hide" or "hold back" crime reports that would have an effect on Amherst's safe city status which translates into investment dollars in Amherst and that's the truth, nothing more. WHY has the APD never had any major police corruption scandals/infractions like the Buffalo Police? EVER? Are Amherst cops issued halos and harps? No, I'm NOT "anti-cop." Just have been on the receiving end of the APD's "professionalism" too many times. I didn't kiss posterior the right way, I guess.

Unregistered

Another Study that proves otherwise.

Please follow the link provided below. It's too long to post here, but very interesting. The study goes into way more depth than the Kansas City one, and, it's more up-to-date.

Please follow the link provided below. It's too long to post here, but very interesting. The study goes into way more depth than the Kansas City one, and, it's more up-to-date.
    Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Micheal

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded
    Here are a few facts: 1) Although the Amherst Police are exceptional police officers, they are NOT the "super cops" so many posters laud them as. 2) It is VERY POSSIBLE that there is a LOT of crime in Amherst that is NEVER reported JUST MAYBE to keep Amherst high in the safest city rankings 3) If elite Amherst wants to be proactive and keep its magical city safe from a crime wave, I honestly think that they should hire TWO DOZEN more police officers NOW (never thought I'd say that!), despite what the town board says about budget problems. 4) It isn't fair to expect the mighty Amherst or any police force to be ubiquitous-Unless you literally have a police car on every single corner, crime wil happen. Its just a matter of WHAT CRIMES MAKE THE NEWS and the LAW ENFORCEMENT STATISTICS. No. I'm paranoid. The APD and town board would NEVER "cover up," "hide" or "hold back" crime reports that would have an effect on Amherst's safe city status which translates into investment dollars in Amherst and that's the truth, nothing more. WHY has the APD never had any major police corruption scandals/infractions like the Buffalo Police? EVER? Are Amherst cops issued halos and harps? No, I'm NOT "anti-cop." Just have been on the receiving end of the APD's "professionalism" too many times. I didn't kiss posterior the right way, I guess.
    You're implying that the police brass don't report every call they get? That is ridiculous. You must be related to 'stakeholder'.
    As for corruption, does every police department have corruption?
    You must have been obeying the law huh? So due to the "professionalism" of these officers you weren't allowed to break the law and you're complaining.
    "Only an idiot would wait in a backed up line for Tim Horton's coffee." Stevenco

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded
    The following is a list of what's taken into consideration when calculating the safest cities in America.
    The source: http://www.morganquitno.com/citytab13.htm

CITY CRIME STATISTICS (for cities larger than 75,000 population)

41. Crimes in 2005

42. Crime Rate in 2005

43. Percent Change in Crime Rate: 2004 to 2005

44. Percent Change in Crime Rate: 2001 to 2005

45. Violent Crimes in 2005

46. Violent Crime Rate in 2005

47. Percent Change in Violent Crime Rate: 2004 to 2005

48. Percent Change in Violent Crime Rate: 2001 to 2005

49. Murders in 2005

50. Murder Rate in 2005

51. Percent Change in Murder Rate: 2004 to 2005

52. Percent Change in Murder Rate: 2001 to 2005

53. Rapes in 2005

54. Rape Rate in 2005

55. Percent Change in Rape Rate: 2004 to 2005

56. Percent Change in Rape Rate: 2001 to 2005

57. Robberies in 2005

58. Robbery Rate in 2005

59. Percent Change in Robbery Rate: 2004 to 2005

60. Percent Change in Robbery Rate: 2001 to 2005

61. Aggravated Assaults in 2005

62. Aggravated Assault Rate in 2005

63. Percent Change in Aggravated Assault Rate: 2004 to 2005

64. Percent Change in Aggravated Assault Rate: 2001 to 2005

65. Property Crimes in 2005

66. Property Crime Rate in 2005

67. Percent Change in Property Crime Rate: 2004 to 2005

68. Percent Change in Property Crime Rate: 2001 to 2005

69. Burglaries in 2005

70. Burglary Rate in 2005

71. Percent Change in Burglary Rate: 2004 to 2005

72. Percent Change in Burglary Rate: 2001 to 2005

73. Larceny and Theft in 2005

74. Larceny and Theft Rate in 2005

75. Percent Change in Larceny and Theft Rate: 2004 to 2005

76. Percent Change in Larceny and Theft Rate: 2001 to 2005

77. Motor Vehicle Thefts in 2005

78. Motor Vehicle Theft Rate in 2005

79. Percent Change in Motor Vehicle Theft Rate: 2004 to 2005

80. Percent Change in Motor Vehicle Theft Rate: 2001 to 2005

81. Police Officers in 2005

82. Rate of Police Officers in 2005

83. Percent Change in Rate of Police Officers: 2004 to 2005

84. Percent Change in Rate of Police Officers: 2001 to 2005

After reviewing the above, please let us know just how many categories you think APD could possibly "cover-up." Maybe rapes, murders, assaults, or even armed robberies? Are the dispatchers that log all calls dispatched to PO's in on this big cover-up? If so, why do they give the officers a set of numbers for each and every call prior to responding to the next call? If you don't believe what I say, go purchase a scanner and find out for yourself. They seem to document EVERY CALL no matter how important or ridiculous they may be. They're even assigned incident numbers for something as-simple-as asking kids not to get too close to the cranky neighbor's yard. Point is, APD officers must document such nonsensical issues, they probably have to document if they picked their noses, and if so, what nostril.

Let me guess... you don't think Americans have ever landed on the Moon... Do you? I'll bet you think the events of September 11, 2001 were staged by our own government.... Don't you? Do elephants fly in your world? They do.....Don't they?

I'ds expectthe APD to report every call.

However, if you utilized the criteria abopve and calculated those states for eggersyvliie (NFB/Longmeadow/Blaley/Main-Kenmore)... and utilized the results as if it were for the entire TOA... where would Amherst ranbk? Would we be #3? Don't think so. But there's no difference in police effectiveness in Eggertsvuille, right? You lie.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this information.
    You can observe alot just by watching.
    Yogi Berra, Berra's Law

Stake holder does it again

Boy stake, wish you'd learn how to use spell check. Everyone misspells once in a while but you abuse the privilege.
    dono

Over six months ago the Amherst Police were aware of a drive-by shooting in Eggertsville. I believe that the APD is supposed to protect and serve the people of Amherst (INCLUDING EGGERTSVILLE).

The crime is now continuing it's travels to being one year old. To my knowledge the APD has not solved this crime. In that respect they have failed. They have not fully served the people of Eggerstville.

Why hasn't the APD Ppolice director chief advised the people of Eggertsville where this matter stands in a truthfull manner?

Hey Stake is rationalizing

Stake says if you just consider Eggertsville, the crime rate in Amherst is astronomical. I got another point of view. If we leave Eggertsville out of the equation, Amherst crime rate is down there where the giant squid live.
    dono

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread Information