Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New town board addresses development strategy

New town board addresses development strategy

Kudos to the newly elected town board for its management of the first official town board meeting for 2016 - which included a lengthy organizational meeting. Appointees to various board and committee positions dispelled many of the rumors that had been circulating the town in recent weeks.

Most noteworthy to this individual was the exchange that took place between resident Mike Fronczak and newly elected Supervisor Johanna Coleman regarding town development strategy and especially traffic along William Street.

Fronczak: It may be a little premature to ask right now but could you give some idea as what direction the town is going to take regarding building, infrastructure, etc; especially paying attention to the William Street corridor? We have recently tried to get ditches filled between Transit and Aurora.

Coleman: Mike, I can only speak for myself but I know I have had number of conversations with the other board members, particularly in the south end of town and especially William Street because I live in that neighborhood. I ride William Street often and it is congested. It is not the sleepy little farm road it used to be. And so, this board needs to take a close look at any development that is going to be coming and critique it; not just there but everywhere in town. You can’t try to get square pegs in round holes. There might be some developments in other communities that work there but do not fit in Lancaster.

So yes, that will be looked at on individual basis. And we trust that (John Abraham) who is going to be the liaison with the planning board, who has been going to their meetings, will keep us informed.

Councilman John Abraham: One of the things we have been looking at is the town code. We don’t have a classification IV for patio homes. We are restructuring the code to do those in one form or another. They have come along in the past 10 – 15 years. So just to give you an idea, we are reviewing the code to get the code to fit into the town needs.

Fronczak: Do we know if we ever got the funding that Legislator Ted Morton was looking for to fill in the ditches along William Street?

Coleman: I haven’t heard about that from him. He has indicated that he is looking forward to working with us; and we will work with him. Today is the first day in the office, so… I am spending a lot of time transitioning files, etc. so I can’t see myself jumping into anything in the month of January. My dance card seems to be full right down.

But as time goes on and spring comes we are going to have more developers come and they will want to get started. We understand what the pain is. I don’t dislike developers but there is a place for everything. You have to understand that developers are property owners and have a constitutional right to petition their government; and that’s what we are. And when we take away their rights, we lose those same rights. So they will come. They will ask and we have to be careful in saying no.

Comments

I appreciate Mrs. Coleman’s acknowledgement that she travels William Street, that she recognizes it is an overburdened two-lane county road, and that she feels the pain of residents living on William Street and in subdivisions along William Street who travel this congested road. She and Abraham speak on some code changes in the master plan under review – a master plan that has not been reviewed and updated since its adoption in 2002 – a review and updating that was called for by then council member Dan Amatura in 2008 and by residents thereafter.

Unfortunately, the barn door has been closed after the horses had been let out. For years residents living along William Street have petitioned the town for traffic and traffic safety relief and have been told that William Street is a county road and the town can’t do anything about it. So, development continued unabated throughout the years with the only road improvement coming with turning lanes and signalization at the intersections of Penora, Aurora and Lake Avenue.

Not only did residential development continue along a two-lane county road that was considered at max capacity in 2008, but commercial development took place at Aurora and with the added development of a Wal-Mart and several other retail business at the intersection of Transit and William – the great majority of them possible because of town approved rezones.

William Street has been improved to the point that it’s as good as it is going to get. The town can’t even manage to get the open drainage ditches piped and filled – a very unsafe condition. And yet the building goes on and once the new county sewer line goes into operation Windsor Ridge South will be able to complete its next phases in building another 200+ homes that are in the pipeline; and which allow for further construction and more traffic on William.

Good luck Supervisor Coleman, I wish you well. Your intent may be sincere but unless building along William is curtailed or another major east-west corridor is constructed conditions will only worsen. As you declared, “you can’t put a square peg in a round hole.”

You have inherited a mess that should have been dealt with years ago when the county had the resources and where there was political will for parties to come together and act in the best interest of the community; and not the best interests of today’s political parties and/or their personal agendas.

As for developers having constitutional property rights, isn't protecting the safety and property rights of its constituents the primary responsibility of the town?

I truly appreciate a response from a neighbor of mine who read my post. We live in a townhome subdivision just east of the Wal-Mart complex and the individual voices concerns that we should heed; and more importantly Cheektowaga residents who live in the area closest to the blasting taking place to remove the bedrock that will allow for the new county sewer line hookup from the Lancaster Aurora Street pumping station to the Borden/Losson Road main.

Lee,

This is an excellent posting and to borrow one of your favorite expressions SPOT ON! FYI ... Along with all of this development before, during and now addressing sewer infrastructure along Losson/William Sts. ... and while I am certainly an advocate for updating infrastructure in this Town ... I am grossly concerned with the blasting taking place. Northwood has been through this before ... and while that experience was bad enough ... this sequence of detonations is proving to be even worse.

I called our Mgt. Co. and with no return call took my case directly to the Town, the Contractor for the sewer project, blasting company and the County. All parties have been most receptive to my concerns as no one should have to be exposed to the sound of a freight train running through their home nor the building trembling. This was not a simple vibration but more of a tremor experience for myself and other homeowners around our Northwood property. And considering that my unit is beyond the 300 ft. notification mandate, I’m especially surprised at how much I felt and concerned about the infrastructure in Northwood which we all are well aware is not in good shape to begin with. As I explained to these folks, if we do not let them know what we are experiencing, they won’t know and I do not want cracks in my foundation nor does anyone else.

The County did send a representative to my lot and did take measurements which they are claiming are within the scope allowed. As I’ve explained to everyone I spoke with, it’s NOT every detonation, but helter-skelter which only makes me question even more, WHY? If we all remember back when the apartment complex was being excavated especially the retention pond on the apartment site, I complained then and the situation was investigated and closely monitored. In my former employment position, I was responsible for the federal pipeline public awareness filing for a utility and this is really serious business.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Kudos to the newly elected town board for its management of the first official town board meeting for 2016 - which included a lengthy organizational meeting. Appointees to various board and committee positions dispelled many of the rumors that had been circulating the town in recent weeks.

Most noteworthy to this individual was the exchange that took place between resident Mike Fronczak and newly elected Supervisor Johanna Coleman regarding town development strategy and especially traffic along William Street.

Fronczak: It may be a little premature to ask right now but could you give some idea as what direction the town is going to take regarding building, infrastructure, etc; especially paying attention to the William Street corridor? We have recently tried to get ditches filled between Transit and Aurora.

Coleman: Mike, I can only speak for myself but I know I have had number of conversations with the other board members, particularly in the south end of town and especially William Street because I live in that neighborhood. I ride William Street often and it is congested. It is not the sleepy little farm road it used to be. And so, this board needs to take a close look at any development that is going to be coming and critique it; not just there but everywhere in town. You can’t try to get square pegs in round holes. There might be some developments in other communities that work there but do not fit in Lancaster.

So yes, that will be looked at on individual basis. And we trust that (John Abraham) who is going to be the liaison with the planning board, who has been going to their meetings, will keep us informed.

Councilman John Abraham: One of the things we have been looking at is the town code. We don’t have a classification IV for patio homes. We are restructuring the code to do those in one form or another. They have come along in the past 10 – 15 years. So just to give you an idea, we are reviewing the code to get the code to fit into the town needs.

Fronczak: Do we know if we ever got the funding that Legislator Ted Morton was looking for to fill in the ditches along William Street?

Coleman: I haven’t heard about that from him. He has indicated that he is looking forward to working with us; and we will work with him. Today is the first day in the office, so… I am spending a lot of time transitioning files, etc. so I can’t see myself jumping into anything in the month of January. My dance card seems to be full right down.

But as time goes on and spring comes we are going to have more developers come and they will want to get started. We understand what the pain is. I don’t dislike developers but there is a place for everything. You have to understand that developers are property owners and have a constitutional right to petition their government; and that’s what we are. And when we take away their rights, we lose those same rights. So they will come. They will ask and we have to be careful in saying no.

Comments

I appreciate Mrs. Coleman’s acknowledgement that she travels William Street, that she recognizes it is an overburdened two-lane county road, and that she feels the pain of residents living on William Street and in subdivisions along William Street who travel this congested road. She and Abraham speak on some code changes in the master plan under review – a master plan that has not been reviewed and updated since its adoption in 2002 – a review and updating that was called for by then council member Dan Amatura in 2008 and by residents thereafter.

Unfortunately, the barn door has been closed after the horses had been let out. For years residents living along William Street have petitioned the town for traffic and traffic safety relief and have been told that William Street is a county road and the town can’t do anything about it. So, development continued unabated throughout the years with the only road improvement coming with turning lanes and signalization at the intersections of Penora, Aurora and Lake Avenue.

Not only did residential development continue along a two-lane county road that was considered at max capacity in 2008, but commercial development took place at Aurora and with the added development of a Wal-Mart and several other retail business at the intersection of Transit and William – the great majority of them possible because of town approved rezones.

William Street has been improved to the point that it’s as good as it is going to get. The town can’t even manage to get the open drainage ditches piped and filled – a very unsafe condition. And yet the building goes on and once the new county sewer line goes into operation Windsor Ridge South will be able to complete its next phases in building another 200+ homes that are in the pipeline; and which allow for further construction and more traffic on William.

Good luck Supervisor Coleman, I wish you well. Your intent may be sincere but unless building along William is curtailed or another major east-west corridor is constructed conditions will only worsen. As you declared, “you can’t put a square peg in a round hole.”

You have inherited a mess that should have been dealt with years ago when the county had the resources and where there was political will for parties to come together and act in the best interest of the community; and not the best interests of today’s political parties and/or their personal agendas.

As for developers having constitutional property rights, isn't protecting the safety and property rights of its constituents the primary responsibility of the town?
    Johanna handled the meeting very well and everyone I spoke to was impressed to say the least. I look forward to contract negotiations and hope our employees will finally help pay for their heath care. We need to keep an open mind and give new board members a chance.

Its nice to know that as we now have one "unified" Town Government (again) - they will act in unison ! Now all our Town Hall employees and Board Members can stop being obstructionists.

We can watch as they all line up and vote together - have shorter meetings and less acrimony !

They can all settle in and do what they feel is right for Lancaster - while smiling . They can fix the sewers, water issues, roads and maybe even move forward on flood control. We can hope they move away from excess patronage and refocus on infrastructure as promised in their campaign material.

Once they get past reloading every tax funded position - once they give everyone that promised increase - once they find places for the Party Loyal Players !

Lets see how they do - lets see where their "New Direction" takes us ?

I hope I'm not being overly optimistic .
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by DebLemaster View Post
    Johanna handled the meeting very well and everyone I spoke to was impressed to say the least. I look forward to contract negotiations and hope our employees will finally help pay for their heath care. We need to keep an open mind and give new board members a chance.
    It's nice to read some positive posts regarding the new town board

Georgia L Schlager

I agree, it was a nice first time meeting Johanna held. Agree also that we need to be open minded and receptive.

I think being the Town clerk for several terms afforded her excellent experience for becoming the new Town leader.

Heck, just think, as clerk, she had to review all the many different paperwork that makes the government run. That's got to be a mountain of information on God knows how many issues and proposals, like development strategy and the like.

As clerk, she must have attended numerous meetings and knows of the ones that produced some sour notes, and the sour tone were sure posted on here when things got heated.

Well, good for her. I knew she would knock it out of the ballpark at her first meeting. And beyond.

I think she'll do an excellent job for all the stakeholders in Town, even the ones who hold political stakes they want to hammer into someone's heart. And some of them are right here in this thread. LOL

We'll see.

But I can't see her not having an open door and open mind.

Everyone is saying nice things and you Breezy come on and act like a jerk. It would be nice to see you post something positive and non-derogatory.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Everyone is saying nice things and you Breezy come on and act like a jerk. It would be nice to see you post something positive and non-derogatory.
    It was just a joke!

Anyway, at least I didn't hijack your post to write mine.

I could have found another joke in your oh too sweet post pretty easily.

Say you're sorry and post nice things.

Say you're sorry and post nice things.
    Shortstuff, Have you ever heard of 4248 ????? Some of his posts, yes, I said some (I am being nice), are not positive and are very derogatory. Its funny how you use selective enforcement on this site. Just saying.

Breezy has nothing to apologize for.

I agree. Even 4248 was facetiously optimistic about the new town board

Georgia L Schlager

While I didnt candy coat every thing like the Bufnews did - I do believe I was factual and direct as to what they have been doing .

And I closed with:

"Once they get past reloading every tax funded position
    - once they give everyone that promised pay increase
    - once they find places for the Party Loyal Players !

WHAT ? ? ?

- I didn't even mention her successful "Double Dip" move or her $3000.00 tax funded weekly pay
    - or her $500,000.00 tax dollar combined salary for a four year term
    - the $800,000.00 for the Police -

What more do you want ?
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    While I didnt candy coat every thing like the Bufnews did - I do believe I was factual and direct as to what they have been doing .

And I closed with:

"Once they get past reloading every tax funded position
    - once they give everyone that promised pay increase
    - once they find places for the Party Loyal Players !

WHAT ? ? ?

- I didn't even mention her successful "Double Dip" move or her $3000.00 tax funded weekly pay
    - the $800,000.00 for the Police -

What more do you want ?
    Like I said, IMO you were facetiously optimistic. The key word is optimistic on the positive side.

Georgia L Schlager

Originally posted by 4248:
    Aren't the taxpayers saving on healthcare benefits by Mrs Coleman still working as opposed to having to pay healthcare benefits for a town supervisor as well as a retiree?

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information