Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Civility reigns at Lancaster town board meeting

Civility reigns at Lancaster town board meeting

It was the last town board meeting for Supervisor Dino Fudoli and Council member Donna Stempniak. Fudoli lost his seat in the recent election to current Town Clerk Johanna Coleman and Stempniak retired after 38 years of public service – the last twenty years as a town board member and liaison to the Town Planning Board. Stempniak served on the Planning Board before becoming a town board member. Several residents addressed the board.

Lee Chowaniec

Mr. Fudoli, as it is your last meeting I would like to commend you for the positive things you brought to the town; more transparency and openness not only at town board meetings but in the development and updating of the town web site and LIDA website and with your constant vigilance in trying to maintain fiscal responsibility. I thank you very much for your service as supervisor.
    Mrs. Stempniak, through the years we may not have agreed on everything, but much we did share like opinions on. I want to thank you for the respect you showed me over the years and I don’t believe we ever had any serious altercations.

Ms. Coleman, to you and the new board members who will be taking over at the next meeting, I again offer my congratulations on all your election victories. I only hope that in the future you have as your priority the best interest of the residents in mind above all else.

Dan Beutler

I also compliment you Dino for your service to the town. Ms. Coleman I will say a prayer for you. Mrs. Stempniak, we have had our disagreements and have not seen eye-to-eye at times but I wish you good luck in the future – whatever that may be.

Carmen Hangauer

Donna (Stempniak), I wish you well. Dino, it’s been a great four years and I also wish you well. Ms. Coleman, I will still be coming.

Ms. Coleman: That will never be a problem.

David Hangauer

I would like to thank both Supervisor Fudoli and Council member Stempniak for her years of service. I know it is not always easy when you have a divergence of opinions. It is not always easy to deal with that. Congratulations to supervisor elect Johanna Coleman and the newly elected council members who are here tonight.

Richard Stempniak

I am Donna’s husband and I want to congratulate her for 38 years of public service for the Town of Lancaster. No matter what some of these minions said over the year this woman bleeds Lancaster. She has been a resident of the town for 56 years. I am very proud that she is my wife and she has dedicated 38 years of public service for this town. And for anyone that doesn’t think that she doesn’t give her heart for this town shame on you.

Liz Cardwell

Mrs. Stempniak, I too thank you for your years of service. Mr. Fudoli, I would personally thank you bringing openness to the public. You have welcomed me into your office and have been gracious and professional. You have been open-minded to my concerns and discussed possible solutions. I thank you for being committed and dedicated in showing compassion for the town residents. I wish you well.

Board members speak

After the closing of the public comment session council member John Abraham commented that although Fudoli and he did not always see eye-to-eye, he thought the one thing they could both agree on was the restructure of the Parks Department.”It was a thing that worked very well and we both worked together on it.”
    Donna (Stempniak), my buddy Donna, I am going to miss you. Thirty-eight years of service is a lot of dedication to the town; especially when it comes to planning and zoning.

Councilman Ron Ruffino: It is not easy being up here. There is always tension here. Four years, eight years, regardless, stepping up to the plate and putting yourself in front line to serve the residents of Lancaster you are still trying to do public service for the good of the community.

Town Clerk Johanna Coleman: Donna, I don’t want to get too personal but you are the zoning expert so don’t be too surprised if you don’t get some phone calls. There is an open zoning board position.

Stempniak: For now I want to go over all my notes and pass them on to John (Abraham).

Fudoli: I just want to reach out and thank the residents; the people who come to every board meeting and keep the government in line by paying attention to what they do. I wish more people would pay more attention to what the government was doing and we probably wouldn’t have the problems we have today; whether it is on the town level, the county or the state and federal levels. I would like to thank the taxpayers who put their trust in me over the years. I am going back into the private sector and get away from government for awhile, but I want to say thank you again to the taxpayers who put their trust in me. I enjoyed myself. It has been a pleasure. There was some going back and forth with the board. John (Dudziak – Town Attorney), it was a pleasure working with you. Johanna (Coleman), I wish you good luck; as well as John (Abraham) and Ron (Ruffino). It was an honor and a privilege to serve the town and residents over the past four years.

Stempniak: I would like to thank the residents of Lancaster as well. It’s been a wonderful ride and I am going to miss the job. I am not going to miss the politics but I am going to miss the work. Even those calls on Christmas Eve when someone called to say their street wasn’t plowed.

Bittersweet, and a new direction will unfold.

Don't you think it was a bit inappropriate for Mr. Stempniak to take a jab at what did he call everyone "minions?" Couldn't he have just kept it nice

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Town Clerk Johanna Coleman: Donna, I don’t want to get too personal but you are the zoning expert so don’t be too surprised if you don’t get some phone calls. There is an open zoning board position.
    To think, someone posted that it was confirmed that Donna was to be chairman of the planning board.

Posted by shortstuff:
    That's interesting, we have confirmation that Donna will be given that seat
    In regards to this-
    Posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    What about the rumor that daddy Giza is trying to get a position in town?

Then again, rumors are just that. Planning Board Chair Connelly is rumored to be leaving the planning board to open up a spot for retiring council member Stempniak. Yet Connelly submitted a letter of intent stating he would like to be reappointed to the planning board, and once more as Chair. We shall see. Connelly deserves another term - and as Chair.
    Was that confirmation or speculation?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post

Don't you think it was a bit inappropriate for Mr. Stempniak to take a jab at what did he call everyone "minions?" Couldn't he have just kept it nice
    He sounds like Breezy. Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    To think, someone posted that it was confirmed that Donna was to be chairman of the planning board.

In regards to this-

Who are you addressing your question to?

In regards to this-

It was confirmation gorja. That's what I stated. A change must have occurred.

Loftus is replacing John Dudziak, he is the attorney for the Planning Board. Thank goodness, he does a fair job and is very good. I do not think he is part of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Funny, I see the similarities. LOL
    Just kidding

Shortie. I thought maybe Coleman was trying to throw people off track by indicating the Zoning board and not the planning board since shortie had said it was confirmed prior to the meeting. But as she stated, something changed

Georgia L Schlager

Originally posted by shortstuff:
    Loftus is replacing John Dudziak, he is the attorney for the Planning Board. Thank goodness, he does a fair job and is very good. I do not think he is part of the system.
    You mean Dudziak is out. Wow, love it. I didn't see Loftus's Letter of Interest.

Georgia L Schlager

I agree. Normally, I think "minions" are cute but I don't think cuteness was how it was meant to be interpreted.

Georgia L Schlager

Funny, I see the similarities. LOL
    Just kidding
    I always thought you two were siblings,

Georgia L Schlager

Shortie. I thought maybe Coleman was trying to throw people off track by indicating the Zoning board and not the planning board since shortie had said it was confirmed prior to the meeting. But as she stated, something changed
    Shorty was right in her confirmation declaration and then saying something must have changed. Several of us had heard the same ‘rumor’ that a movement was underway to get Stempniak appointed to the Planning Board as Chair.

As I stated earlier, a rumor is just a rumor until the event plays out and becomes final. Whatever the reason for Neil Connelly being reappointed Planning Board Chair it is my opinion he deserves that reappointment. Neither Mrs. Stempniak nor Ms. Coleman gave any indication last night that Stempniak was interested in pursuing the planning board position.

Thanks Lee.
    Did Fronczak address the board at all last night? I thought he would question Coleman regarding her pension.

Georgia L Schlager

Thanks Lee.
    Did Fronczak address the board at all last night? I thought he would question Coleman regarding her pension.
    Fronczak did indeed approach Coleman on the pension matter s well as other questions and comments. Here is the exchange:

Fronczak: Ms. Coleman, now that you will be moving into the supervisor position what will your salary be?

Supervisor Fudoli: Same as mine.

Fronczak: What about the stipend paid for being budget officer?

Councilman John Abraham: There is nothing in the budget to change what is called for now.

Fronczak: I have asked Mrs. Coleman about her taking a car (town provided). She said she is not taking a car. Are we going to compensating her for gas?

Fudoli: Yes, and it has been budgeted for.

Coleman: If I will be travelling out of town, yes. Around town I never have and never will.

Fronczak: Some people think you will be double-dipping when you retire; taking your pension and continuing to work. I know that it is not illegal to do but in my private sector job we are not allowed to do, nor are the officials.

Coleman: Are you telling me that if you take a new job you can’t collect your pension?

Fronczak: I can’t work for anyone who…I cannot work for a signatory contractor. I can go work elsewhere doing some else but I cannot work for my past employer doing a job. The IRS stopped us from doing that.

Council member Donna Stempniak: Could you be a plumber on your own?

Fronczak: I am not 100% sure of that. The answer I would go for is no because I belong to a local plumbers union. I would have to start a union job. I find it very disheartening that in my circumstance where I have a son 27 years of age with Down’s Syndrome. He gets SSI of $700 a month and recently because he is a high functioning kid he job a job and works two days a week. He is making $9.37 per hour. Since he has been working, for every $2 he earns $1 is subtracted from his SSI. So here he is getting penalized for working.

In my eyes once you (Mrs. Coleman) start working the retirement benefits should stop.

Fudoli: If you want to change it, it has to be at the state level.

Fronczak: I know there is nothing illegal with it, but I just don't buy it. I am 54 years of age. If I were dating an eighteen year old it would be legal but it sure wouldn’t be too moral.

Fronczak did indeed approach Coleman on the pension matter s well as other questions and comments. Here is the exchange:

Fronczak: Ms. Coleman, now that you will be moving into the supervisor position what will your salary be?

Supervisor Fudoli: Same as mine.

Fronczak: What about the stipend paid for being budget officer?

Councilman John Abraham: There is nothing in the budget to change what is called for now.

Fronczak: I have asked Mrs. Coleman about her taking a car (town provided). She said she is not taking a car. Are we going to compensating her for gas?

Fudoli: Yes, and it has been budgeted for.

Coleman: If I will be travelling out of town, yes. Around town I never have and never will.

Fronczak: Some people think you will be double-dipping when you retire; taking your pension and continuing to work. I know that it is not illegal to do but in my private sector job we are not allowed to do, nor are the officials.

Coleman: Are you telling me that if you take a new job you can’t collect your pension?

Fronczak: I can’t work for anyone who…I cannot work for a signatory contractor. I can go work elsewhere doing some else but I cannot work for my past employer doing a job. The IRS stopped us from doing that.

Council member Donna Stempniak: Could you be a plumber on your own?

Fronczak: I am not 100% sure of that. The answer I would go for is no because I belong to a local plumbers union. I would have to start a union job. I find it very disheartening that in my circumstance where I have a son 27 years of age with Down’s Syndrome. He gets SSI of $700 a month and recently because he is a high functioning kid he job a job and works two days a week. He is making $9.37 per hour. Since he has been working, for every $2 he earns $1 is subtracted from his SSI. So here he is getting penalized for working.

In my eyes once you (Mrs. Coleman) start working the retirement benefits should stop.

Fudoli: If you want to change it, it has to be at the state level.

Fronczak: I know there is nothing illegal with it, but I just don't buy it. I am 54 years of age. If I were dating an eighteen year old it would be legal but it sure wouldn’t be too moral.
    Thank you

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information