Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Public Schools

Buffalo Public Schools

As heard on the Sandy Beach radio show

Sandy claims that the administrative expenses cost about 47% of the school budget. This seems very high if true.

Can anyone tell me what the administrative expenses are for the Charter Schools and the Catholic Schools in the city of Buffalo?

Is it the teachers salary that is the main reason the administrative expenses are so high in the Buffalo School System?
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

keep in mind that the COB schools do a lot of the account and state aid distributions.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the administrative expenses are for the Charter Schools and the Catholic Schools in the city of Buffalo?
    I will tell you what it is for the school my kids go to - ZERO! I can educate six of my kids for 12 years for what it takes NY state to educate 1 student for 1 year. I will put my best up against their best any day.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

That is extremly high but i don't doubt it's not true.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

BPS Salaries

Mr. Lackawanna
    Is it the teachers salary that is the main reason the administrative expenses are so high in the Buffalo School System?
    That's a big part of it Mr. L. The following is information from NYS www.seethroughny.net website. It should blow your socks off :

The top 100 people on the BPS payroll average $ 101K/ yr.
    The top 1000 average $ 77 K/yr.
    The next 1000 average $ 59 K/year.
    The next 1000 (2000-3000) average $ 46 K/yr.

This is for 182.5 school days per year (taken from the BPS website calendar) and this does not even count snow holidays or sick time days. Also the above figures do not include charter schools since that data is separate. Also not included in the above salaries are the cost of health care and retirement.

BTW, James Williams makde $ 227K and Crystal Barton (McKinley HS) made $ 116K in 2008.

A good job in private industry has 10 paid holidays per year and maybe a combined 3 weeks sick and vacation time off. That amounts to 235 working days per year whereas a teacher works 182.5. So a teacher works 78% of the time and gets paid the above salaries.

And we have a 50% graduation rate. These people are robbing the piggy bank and still Rumore complains.

The data is incontovertible and is from the office of the state comptroller for 2008.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

And thanks to Williams, barton and other bureaucrats salaries the children are suffering.

The focus of Buffalo schools should be how to get parents involved but instead it's how to make Dr. Williams look like he is doing something by pooling all the money into a few token programs and lining the pockets of bureaucrats.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Buf, are those number strictly their salaries or do they include, pension and HI???
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by bflonum1fan View Post
    Mr. LackawannaThat's a big part of it Mr. L. The following is information from NYS www.seethroughny.net website. It should blow your socks off :

This is for 182.5 school days per year (taken from the BPS website calendar) and this does not even count snow holidays or sick time days. Also the above figures do not include charter schools since that data is separate. Also not included in the above salaries are the cost of health care and retirement.

BTW, James Williams makde $ 227K and Crystal Barton (McKinley HS) made $ 116K in 2008.

A good job in private industry has 10 paid holidays per year and maybe a combined 3 weeks sick and vacation time off. That amounts to 235 working days per year whereas a teacher works 182.5. So a teacher works 78% of the time and gets paid the above salaries.

And we have a 50% graduation rate. These people are robbing the piggy bank and still Rumore complains.

The data is incontovertible and is from the office of the state comptroller for 2008.
    The first two categories you listed are not teachers. The highest salary a teacher in Buffalo can make with three degrees and at the end of his/her career is only around 77k.

The first two categories must consist of administrators, community superintendents and God knows who else the Board hires for special projects or programs.
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Quote Originally Posted by bflonum1fan View Post
    Mr. LackawannaThat's a big part of it Mr. L. The following is information from NYS www.seethroughny.net website. It should blow your socks off :

You're bitching about a guy running an almost billion dollar organization making $227k? Wanna guess what that guy would make in the private sector?

And yes, there's a 182 day school year. That includes snow days. There are also regular sick days. But the hours of those days are more than the 6 you'd like to believe in, and frequently more than the 8 I have to put in most days. And those are school days with students, which don't include conference days, development days, prep days, etc.

In a 'standard' private sector job I have 140 days off between weekends, holidays, vacation/sick days. That means I work about 210 days. Most teachers will actually work closer to 200 days per year, counting all the above extra days you'd like to conveniently forget about. Teachers are also required to have an advanced college degree. So someone who has a better education that I do, who does an admittedly more important and involved job than I do, and has to work slightly fewer days that I do (though with frequently longer hours)...that person has a salary a little more than mine (on average)?

Big frickin deal. Why should it be any different?
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Don't many teachers buy their own supplies?

Why don't they quit?

If the teaches think the pay is poor and the hours are to long. Why don't they quit. Or are the benefits to good to quit?
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    Don't many teachers buy their own supplies?
    The Board buys all the paper, chalk, tape, paper clips, rubber bands, and dry erase markers that I need. They also supply textbooks and workbooks.

I buy everything else. I get reimbursed $35 a school year for the things I buy.
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna View Post
    If the teaches think the pay is poor and the hours are to long. Why don't they quit. Or are the benefits to good to quit?
    No one on this thread said their pay was poor.

I just pointed out that it's not as nice as presented here.

Math Problems

run4it
    In a 'standard' private sector job I have 140 days off between weekends, holidays, vacation/sick days. That means I work about 210 days. Most teachers will actually work closer to 200 days per year, counting all the above extra days you'd like to conveniently forget about.
    Maybe this is the problem we face in our schools :

Even if a private sector job has 140 days off (incl weekends, holidays, vac/sick days) the way I subtract it comes to 365-140 = 225. How do you get 210 ??

Also 182.5/225 = 81 %.

And no Mr Lackawanna, the salaries I quoted do not include retirement and health insurance. The taxpayers of Buffalo subsidize that in addition. If the teachers had any balls, they would change things but they are too comfy cozy in the status quo. Sorry pal, that's the way I see it !
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

These salaries are obviously ghastly, legalized theft really. Only the recipients can't see that.

If you want to know what your labor is worth, the free market awaits your resume.

How many of these people would make more in the private sector?

I suspect maybe one-half of one percent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information