Thread: Democrats line up 60 votes for pivotal health care vote

Democrats line up 60 votes for pivotal health care vote

Democrats have hit the magic number of 60 to move ahead on historic health care legislation.

Arkansas Sen. Blanche Lincoln said on the Senate floor that she will vote with her party, hours before the 8 p.m. roll call.

She said it was important that the Senate begin debate on a critical issue.
    The centrist Democrat was the lone holdout. Facing unanimous Republican opposition, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid needed the 58 Democrats and two independents to vote to move forward on the sweeping bill to remake the nation's health care system.

Shortly before 1 EST, another centrist fence-sitter, Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, said she would vote yes.

The Senate's 40 Republicans are unanimously opposed.

A largely overlooked provision in the Senate bill would send $100 million to Louisiana to help it cover costs for Medicaid, the federal-state health care program for the poor. In her speech, Landrieu rejected the notion that she was voting to advance the bill simply because of the money.

"I am not going to be defensive about asking for help in this situation," she said, recalling the devastation inflicted on her state by Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and her Republican governor's support for the provision. "I'm proud to have asked for it. I'm proud to have fought for it. And I will continue to."

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/868791.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Shortly before 1 EST, another centrist fence-sitter, Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, said she would vote yes.

A largely overlooked provision in the Senate bill would send $100 million to Louisiana to help it cover costs for Medicaid, the federal-state health care program for the poor. In her speech, Landrieu rejected the notion that she was voting to advance the bill simply because of the money.

"I am not going to be defensive about asking for help in this situation," she said, recalling the devastation inflicted on her state by Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and her Republican governor's support for the provision. "I'm proud to have asked for it. I'm proud to have fought for it. And I will continue to."

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/868791.html
    Nothing like legally BUYING a vote!! They have officially put pork infront of our health care system!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Nothing like legally BUYING a vote!! They have officially put pork infront of our health care system!
    You mean - they have officially put pork in front of pork.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Thread Information