Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spree Panel Invites Bloggers, SUWNY missing

Unregistered

Spree Panel Invites Bloggers, SUWNY missing

This is an important forum in an environment in which newspapers are struggling & ever more engaged citizens are getting their 'real news' on-line.

SpeakUpWNY was not invited. Why?

http://www.buffalorising.com/2009/10...l#SlideFrame_0

Spree Panel Invites Bloggers Buffalo Rising October 27, 2009 11:47 AM

Buffalo Spree Publishing, Inc. will present a special panel discussion, "Journalism on the brink: When the daily paper becomes the daily blog, who wins and who loses?" on November 5th, at 7PM, in the Peter and Elizabeth C. Tower Auditorium at the Burchfield Penney Art Center. The event is free and open to the public.

The panel is a spin-off of a Spree article in the November 2009 issue entitled "WNY's churning urn of online news and comment: good, bad, or just confusing?" by Spree associate editor Christopher Schobert. Spree is billing the discussion as "a rousing dialogue between some of Western New York's most notable and important online news figures."

Confirmed panelists include:

- Sharon Bailey, politics blogger (So Sharon)

- Alan Bedenko, a veteran blogger (Buffalo Pundit)

- Elena Buscarino, Managing Editor for Buffalo Rising Online

- Brian Connolly, web editor for the Buffalo News

- Jim Heaney, blogger and columnist for the Buffalo News

- Geoff Kelly, editor and blogger for Artvoice

- Newell Nussbaumer, co-founder of Buffalo Rising Online and a blog veteran

- Ben Siegel, editor for Block Club

- Marc Odien and Chris Smith, co-founders of WNYMedia.net

The invitation states the following: The issues presented in the article and the panel, reach far beyond Western New York. Should online content be free? Are news blogs "fair and balanced," and is that even desirable? What do blogs and online news sites mean for both the reader, and the writer? Can local news sites complement each other, or are they invariably opposed?

This event is in cooperation with the Burchfield Penney Art Center at Buffalo State College and Buffalo Spree Publishing.

Look under the "web extras" tab for extended interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by kernwatch View Post
    This is an important forum in an environment in which newspapers are struggling & ever more engaged citizens are getting their 'real news' on-line.

SpeakUpWNY was not invited. Why?
    Because it's not a blog.
    This website makes money off of a depraved and idiotic conspiracy theory.

Quote Originally Posted by buffalopundit View Post
    Because it's not a blog.
    It is always the obvious answer that bites so hard.

This is a message board or forum for discussion, not a blog.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Yes, the difference is that on a forum people other than the owner get to express their opinions as first instance posts. A blog is basically expression of the owner's opinion with possibly some comment allowed.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Yes, the difference is that on a forum people other than the owner get to express their opinions as first instance posts. A blog is basically expression of the owner's opinion with possibly some comment allowed.
    So what makes one more qualified to answer these questions?

The invitation states the following: The issues presented in the article and the panel, reach far beyond Western New York. Should online content be free? Are news blogs "fair and balanced," and is that even desirable? What do blogs and online news sites mean for both the reader, and the writer? Can local news sites complement each other, or are they invariably opposed?
    What qualifies someone considered a "blogger" to know the answers to should content be free?

You would think the panel would be made up of experienced media people.

Mr. Kern:

How come I never see your name on any list of important WNYers?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So what makes one more qualified to answer these questions?

What qualifies someone considered a "blogger" to know the answers to should content be free?

You would think the panel would be made up of experienced media people.
    Jim Heaney is a veteran writer for the Buffalo News. Elena Buscarino and Geoff Kelly have been professional writers for years. Marc Odien is a professional photojournalist. Chris, Newell, and I have been writing for several years. That's a lot of experience.

Of course, one would need to read the Spree article to see the premise of the panel discussion. It's not about message boards. It's about blogs, which are different from message boards. Not better - just different.

Unregistered

Has SUWNY failed?

SUWNY has not even been mentioned in the gathering of high profile bloggers scheduled for next Thursday on Elmwood Ave. That is quite a slap in the face for a blog reported in late 2003 to be "ranked 2nd in Western New York regional news and media"

Here is the report of its birth in early 2003:

http://www.speakupwny.com/article_588.shtml

Local WNY Websites
    ACTIVIST WEBSITE GALVANIZES WESTERN NEW YORK RESIDENTS

By Gary S. Howell, Nov 13, 2003

Early this year, Tony Fracasso went to a Cheektowaga town board meeting. What he saw there made him mad. Afterwards, when he read about the meeting in the newspaper, he couldn't believe how many important issues went unreported. He decided that it was time to do something about it.
    A few days later, Tony met with Buffalo Sports maven Art Wander. They started discussing local politics, a subject Mr. Wander takes great interest in. Tony raised the idea of starting an alternative website for local residents to report on issues that are important to them. . . .

But Tony doubted that he could find local residents who would be willing to write for the site. Tony Fracasso, Gary Howell, Lee Chowaniec, and James ******* met together in late May to form the nucleus of Speakupwny. The website went online July 1st, and has been covering politics in Western New York ever since.

. . .Speakupwny is now one of the most visited sites in the area. According to Alexa.com, Speakupwny is the second most visited site in the region. For instance, on the day this article was written, Speakupwny received hundreds visitors. Ninety-seven percent of visitors go straight to the news articles.

Based on Alexa's data, Speakupwny is ranked 2nd in Western New York regional news and media, with an average review rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. It is also ranks 2nd in New York State regional activism.

Many people feel that they can't change the political landscape by themselves. Tony Fracasso is not one of them. His simple idea gives residents a venue to express their thoughts on what is really happening in Western New York. The success of Speakupwny proves that individuals can make a difference.

However, it is very difficult to get serious discussion on SUWNY of important topics, let alone any effective action to reform failed policies or "make a difference".

For example, there has currently been vigorous discussion of need for change at marine Drive apartments, heavily subsidized public housing on Bflo's waterfront.

SEE: "Only in Buffalo"
    http://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sho...051#post565051

After 71 posts, and 771 views, "Only in Buffalo" has gotten very far off topic, riddled with typical 'shots-from-the-hip', one-liners, & a grand finale of "scumbag" & "stalker"

Hardly 'making a difference'.

Has SUWNY failed?

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    Mr. Kern:

How come I never see your name on any list of important WNYers?
    Has Mr. Kern failed?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalopundit View Post
    Jim Heaney is a veteran writer for the Buffalo News. Elena Buscarino and Geoff Kelly have been professional writers for years. Marc Odien is a professional photojournalist. Chris, Newell, and I have been writing for several years. That's a lot of experience.

Of course, one would need to read the Spree article to see the premise of the panel discussion. It's not about message boards. It's about blogs, which are different from message boards. Not better - just different.
    Jim Heaney is the only one out of the group I would say is qualified due to the fact he probably worked for he News before the internet took off. He watched how advertising has changed in the paper once the internet took hold. Change of classifieds usage, how money was being spent differently etc...

Elena Buscarino and Geoff Kelly seeing they make their living from writing would have a valid opinion about "free content" etc... and how revenue is produced from written content.

I"m not saying bloggers opinions are not valid but I would assume and actual media person would have more insight. Like the guys that run entercom, citidel, one of the local tv stations.

I look at SUWNY as a blogging forum in "Real Time". Sure the software may not be wordpress but everyone here is considered a blogger. I find many that have a tremendous amount of talent and insight.

Are we to assume the self appointed panel has more credentials and credibility? I don't think so. Or because they came out of the closet with their names?

I rarely read the spree "at my dentist office" or for that matter "wnymedia".. I guess this is a media grab for recognition..
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Only thing different on word press versus here is "who" starts the thread off. ONe person starting a topic versus multiple people starting topics.

The community is made up of people.... it's a community blog.

Jim Heaney is the only one out of the group I would say is qualified due to the fact he probably worked for he News before the internet took off. He watched how advertising has changed in the paper once the internet took hold. Change of classifieds usage, how money was being spent differently etc...

Elena Buscarino and Geoff Kelly seeing they make their living from writing would have a valid opinion about "free content" etc... and how revenue is produced from written content.

I"m not saying bloggers opinions are not valid but I would assume and actual media person would have more insight. Like the guys that run entercom, citidel, one of the local tv stations.
    But the panel's title is

Journalism on the brink: When the daily paper becomes the daily blog, who wins and who loses?"

Not "when the radio show becomes the daily blog".

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Thats why I made the statment

I consider the paper a form of media no different than radio or TV. Information sources. The internet effects all of them.

Thats why I made the statment

I consider the paper a form of media no different than radio or TV. Information sources. The internet effects all of them.
    They're critically different. When news breaks, a blog post can go up with as little effort as a news break on TV or radio. The paper has to wait until tomorrow or go to its website. They're altogether different media.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information