Thread: Largest Police Union Cautions Quentin Tarantino: We've Got a Surprise Coming For You

Largest Police Union Cautions Quentin Tarantino: We've Got a Surprise Coming For You

In a veiled threat, the largest police union in the country says it has a "surprise" in store for Quentin Tarantino.

Jim Pasco, executive director of the Fraternal Order of Police, would not go into any detail about what is being cooked up for the Hollywood director, but he did tell THR: "We'll be opportunistic."

"Tarantino has made a good living out of violence and surprise," Pasco says. "Our offices make a living trying to stop violence, but surprise is not out of the question."

The FOP, based in Washington D.C., consists of more 330,000 full-time, sworn officers. According to Pasco, the surprise in question is already "in the works," and will be in addition to the standing boycott of Tarantino's films, including his upcoming movie The Hateful Eight.

"Something is in the works, but the element of surprise is the most important element," Pasco says. "Something could happen anytime between now and [the premiere]. And a lot of it is going to be driven by Tarantino, who is nothing if not predictable."

"The right time and place will come up and we'll try to hurt him in the only way that seems to matter to him, and that's economically," Pasco says.

When asked if this was a threat, Pasco said no, at least not a physical threat. "Police officers protect people," he says. "They don't go out to hurt people."

The director of the upcoming Hateful Eight has drawn the ire of unions from the largest police departments in the country, border patrol and other law enforcement organizations.

Last month while marching in New York for a rally against police brutality, Tarantino called police "murderers." He has since gone public to clarify his remarks, saying that he is not anti-police, but against unarmed men and women being killed by them.

At this point, most box-office analysts don't think Hateful Eight will be hurt at the box office by the dust-up.

"Tarantino is no stranger to controversy. At the end of the day, this publicity only has people talking about the film more. I don't think it will negatively impact the box office," says Phil Contrino of BoxOffice.com. Adds Jeff Bock of Exhibitor Relations, "I think audiences can separate the auteur from the activist since most people who buy a ticket to a Quentin Tarantino film show up to hear what his characters say, not the filmmaker. "I mean Star Wars is about to take over the known media universe. This is just white noise."

Rentrak's Paul Dergarabedian has a different opinion. "Quite simply, there's no way to know whether it will affect box office. Even after it opens, you can't quantify whether or not a boycott ultimately had an impact. But it has to cause a headache. It's not the kind of thing you want surrounding your movie, especially in the crowded Christmas frame when it will be going up against movies like Joy. And this situation is gaining traction. The idea that there's no such thing as bad press isn't necessarily true here."

TWC didn't immediately respond to a request for comment on the FOP.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

I don't know the backstory but it sounds the police intend to go after him to punish him for things he's said. Sounds like a first amendment violation waiting to happen. At the very least it's the kind of thug behavior many people feel police regularly display
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

The PBA is using the bully pulpit just like Tarantino did. I don't like or agree with either party, but both of them are allowed to be stupid and/or uninformed blowhards.

Embattled director Quentin Tarantino, facing police boycotts of his upcoming movie The Hateful Eight after speaking out against police brutality, didn’t back down during his appearance on HBO’s Real Time With Bill Maher Friday, saying that recent accusations made against him by police unions are slanderous. “They’re saying that I’m a cop-hater,” Tarantino said, “which is slander because I didn’t say that. They’re implying that I meant all cops are murderers, and I wasn’t.”

The director went on to say that police too often “protect their own as opposed to putting themselves at the betterment of citizenry.”

“I think it’s inside the institution itself,” Tarantino said after Maher suggested that police departments need to “do a better job of weeding out” the individual personalities that make bad cops. Tarantino countered that that problem is the institutional “blue wall” that protects its own.

Tarantino, repeatedly flashing the peace sign as he walked onstage, made his appearance two weeks after his participation at an October 24 anti-police-brutality rally in New York, during which he told the crowd “when I see murder I cannot stand by. And I have to call the murdered the murdered and I have to call the murderers the murderers.”

Police unions quickly took issue, to say the least, pledging to boycott Tarantino’s Hateful Eight (arriving Christmas day) and branding the director a “cop-hater.” Earlier this week, Jim Pasco, exec director of the Fraternal Order of Police, made the ominous-sounding statement that “something is in the works” against Tarantino.

“Tarantino has made a good living out of violence and surprise. Our offices make a living trying to stop violence, but surprise is not out of the question.” Pasco said the “right time and place will come up and we’ll try to hurt him in the only way that seems to matter to him, and that’s economically.”

Maher commiserated with Tarantino’s recent tribulations, drawing a comparison to his post-9/11 vilification when conservatives labeled Maher as anti-troops. Said Maher, “They lied, and (now) the lie is that you think all cops are murderers, which is not what (your) statement said.”

Tarantino seemed particularly exasperated over the prospect that the controversy will preclude important debate about police brutality. “We need to talk to cops about this,” he said. “We need to get to the problem, we need to bring it to the table.”

The director did manage to inject some humor into the discussion. Reflecting on his beloved 70s-era TV shows like Adam-12 and The Rookies, Tarantino quipped, “They got into fights all the time. If they’d just got out a gun and shot the hippie we would have said, Whoa, what’s going on?”
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

That's not necessarily true. Cops were a lot freer to shoot people back in the day. Even on TV. I recall watching a movie once. An undercover cop was meeting with his handlers in a closed factory. One of the bad guys saw the meeting and when the good guys saw the badguy who saw them. They all opened fire on the bad guy.

BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM....!

b.b.

That said, the notion that Tarantino, given his perspective art, perceives any sort of public conscience over any sort of killing, is laughable.

b.b.

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post
    That said, the notion that Tarantino, given his perspective art, perceives any sort of public conscience over any sort of killing, is laughable.

b.b.
    He sure is fond of the N word. I'd bet a buck he was doing damage repair for his gratuitous use of "******" throughout his movies, at the expense of black people's favorite boogeyman, the po-po.

I don't know what the police union is planning to do with their boycott, but so far all they've accomplished is giving free publicity to Tarantino's upcoming movie.

Thread Information