Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supervisor race gets heated

Supervisor race gets heated

Lancaster supervisor race heated: Fudoli versus longtime town clerk from prominent Lancaster family

Differing styles vie in race for Lancaster supervisor

Republican Dino J. Fudoli pulled off an unexpected victory four years ago, unseating Lancaster’s longtime Democratic town supervisor Robert H. Giza in a heavily Democratic town.

Now Fudoli, 44, billing himself as a fiscal watchdog for taxpayers, is on a roll, hungry for another four years as supervisor. Some privately say he will crush his Democratic challenger, longtime Democratic Town Clerk Johanna Metz Coleman.

But as Tuesday’s election draws closer, the race has grown increasingly heated, with political observers saying Coleman – whose late father, Artel Metz, was a town councilman – is well within striking distance to unseat Fudoli and become Lancaster’s first woman supervisor.

Fudoli is a former Erie County legislator who has an aggressive, feisty management style. He hammers his record of lowering taxes during his tenure, preaches a message of transparency and insists he is not the problem with long-outstanding town employee union contracts.

“I’ve done a good job of keeping my promises to taxpayers, offering the same services while keeping taxes down,” he said. “What’s there to complain about? I’ve brought common sense to Town Hall.”

Coleman, 67, a Lancaster native with deep family roots in the community, is one of eight children.

“Many came begging and pleading with me to run. I thought about it long and hard,” she said. “It was my family that convinced me that it was the right thing to do for the community and me.”

“I’ve sat here for 29 years biting my lip. I have a lot of ideas and would like to put them to use,” said Coleman, a familiar face around Town Hall, 16 years as town clerk and 13 years as tax receiver. “I don’t like what I see happening, and I feel at this point in time, I’m the one person who can change that.”
    She and Fudoli are as different as can be, both in style and character.

Standing 5 feet 2 inches tall, the dark-haired, soft-spoken Coleman has a polite, but no-nonsense approach.

Her father’s political career inspired her interest in local government. Describing herself as “strong and determined,” Coleman says she’s a blend of her Italian and German heritage.

Fudoli is short, too. His head is shaved and he has an obvious love of bodybuilding. He is a personal trainer at his gym. Energy drinks are a staple by his side at town meetings. Often unscripted, he speaks his mind, even if it gets him in trouble with critics and supporters alike.

Fudoli and Coleman sit side-by-side at board meetings. Fudoli doesn’t mince words, while Coleman typically remains poised and quiet, speaking only when asked questions. But when interviewed about town government, she speaks her mind.

“My intention is to be a full-time supervisor and treat everyone with the courtesy and respect that I expect to be treated with,” Coleman said.

“I want to see civility restored to town government,” she said. “I don’t throw out shots. That’s not my style. I’m here to work for the people.”

As town clerk, Coleman makes $84,070, including various stipends.

Both candidates have raised considerable money for the campaign – Coleman, nearly $15,000; Fudoli, just shy of $10,000.

Unresolved town employee union contracts and development top the election banter.

Coleman wants to see town union contracts that expired four years ago resolved.

“It’s unfortunate not only to employees, but also to the taxpayers,” she said. “I’ve heard that he,” Fudoli, “is unwilling to negotiate. We need to get union contracts settled. I think it was inappropriate that there are no provisions made for retroactive pay in the budgets for four years” or to pay for contract negotiations.

Fudoli admits the union bosses are “mad” at him.

“The unions are acting as if I’m stonewalling the raises, making it like I’m the bad guy,” he said. “I think town employees are not fully informed by their union bosses and I don’t believe the union bosses are taking my offer back to the members for a vote.”

Fudoli also said Democrats do not have a strategy to save money.

“Every time there’s a vacancy, they rush to fill it with one of theirs,” he said.

Fudoli has come under scrutiny for his finances.

County property records show Fudoli has a combined total of $18,764 in unpaid back taxes in his name for two Transit Road properties in Cheektowaga, one nearly 12 acres of vacant land.

“The property is worthless and the town keeps raising taxes,” he said, claiming he paid $150,000 in legal fees to challenge Cheektowaga on the property’s value. Much of it is wetlands and has limited development potential, he says.

“At some point in time, I’ll pay them,” he said, before quickly adding, “I don’t think I will.”
    Coleman said she wants to encourage development but also weigh the impact on infrastructure.
    “Future development needs to be guided to certain areas and must be consistent with existing housing and commercial/industrial patterns of usage,” she said. “Development for the sake of development is not advisable. Commercial and light industrial belong in our Walden Avenue corridor.”

Fudoli said he is pro-development, but with an eye toward “smart growth.” “I don’t want unfettered growth,” he said, noting there needs to be close master plan review.

The full-time supervisor’s post pays $67,000 yearly.

Georgia L Schlager

Since Coleman has been in office 29 years, she could have done a double dip at the end of 2007 or 2011. She had her time in.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...amily-20151030
    Last edited by gorja; October 31st, 2015 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Forgot to add link

Georgia L Schlager

Very biased editorial, in addition to that Robinson give the height on Coleman , but her description of Dino is stated that he is short. Poor choice of words, but it's liberal reporting.

Most find Coleman at town board meetings rolling her eyes when people speak at the podium or nodding off.

Rubio was right the worst problem we have is mainstream media with liberal reporting.

Happy Halloween

Originally posted by shortstuff:
    Very biased editorial, in addition to that Robinson give the height on Coleman , but her description of Dino is stated that he is short. Poor choice of words, but it's liberal reporting.
    I agree. Physical descriptions shouldn't be a a part of the article. It has nothing to do with their platforms.

PS
    To be politically correct, it is vertically challenged, not short.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Since Coleman has been in office 29 years, she could have done a double dip at the end of 2007 or 2011. She had her time in.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...amily-20151030
    Not factual and earlier would have meant less ! Why would she have left earlier and risk a lower monthly pay check ! You need to "Max out your credits" to get the big payday. Plus if she did it earlier - she would then have to answer to the voters when seeking election !

Look, we know you want to see the good in her - everyone does ! But she is a victim of the game she was schooled in. If she has no intentions of double dipping why has she not stated that publically - she has avoided and not answered that question/issue. Her Party Supporters wont touch the double dip issue as well.

She was raised in the "Game" and if she has been as she claims: "I’ve sat here for 29 years biting my lip" then its her own people who have held her back - its their Party agenda she supported while holding her self back - her new line is, "I am woman - hear me roar - softly"
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Isn't it funny how the comment section goes down when they write about Lancaster Politics ! The Dawn Gaczewski comment section went out - now this one ! Just coincidence I guess the Bufnews would never stifle open debate !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Of course Johanna's family wanted her to run for office! From what I hear, the prominent Lancaster families are pissed off that they may finally lose control of our town.

On another note, one of the town employees (also a very good friend) told me that Johanna told the employees and union(s) "help me get elected and I will give you whatever you want in your contract."
    Yes, I realize this is just rumor but it is exactly how Supervisor Giza handled the union contracts. I will take my chances with Dino's team.

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Isn't it funny how the comment section goes down when they write about Lancaster Politics ! The Dawn Gaczewski comment section went out - now this one ! Just coincidence I guess the Bufnews would never stifle open debate !
    It went down again? It was working good this morning. I wonder what was said that prompted that?

Just looked. The comments aren't shut down

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post

Most find Coleman at town board meetings rolling her eyes when people speak at the podium or nodding off.

Rubio was right the worst problem we have is mainstream media with liberal reporting.

Happy Halloween
    Biased indeed.

This race should never have become close. The DEMS and their minions once again at the eleventh hour have flooded the media with manipulative, untrue, fear and smear tactics to cloud the minds of uninformed voters.

Case in point is the political ad taken out in the Lancaster Bee by the PBA Cayuga Club. Riddled with inaccuracies and unfounded accusations it led Fudoli to posting the following on his FACEBOOK:

Let me start by saying I fully appreciate and respect the service our police department provides to our great community. They do a great job keeping us safe. With that being said I am deeply disappointed in the PBA for stooping to the low levels that they did by purchasing an ad to print vicious lies about me in the Lancaster Bee.

This all because the town board. ..yes the entire town board did not give in to their extremely lucrative pay increase requests in negotiations. ...I am but 1 vote of 5 on the town board, at any time they made an offer the 4 Democrats could have over ridden my vote and approved their contract. But they didn't because obviously they felt it was too much as well. But for the PBA to lie about me and my management of this great town has got to be the lowest they have ever been in Lancaster history. Towns and unions are supposed to engage in fair negotiations, free from intimidation and extortion.

I have been unnecessarily harassed by police officers for no reason I have been pulled over for no reason. I have had vicious rumors spread by these same individuals with no regard whatsoever for my family at all. I do this job because I believe that the government is here to serve the people. NOT TO SERVE PUBLIC EMPLOYEE UNIONS!! Where did the PBA forget about that in their mission statement? It is absolutely disgusting what the unions have done to me and my family all for doing the job I was voted in by a large majority to do. We are here to serve the community, not the needs of a greedy union that has no regard for taxpayer money and how hard they work for it.

By and large our police officers are the best of the best! I respect each and every one of them for what they do on and daily basis! I hope for the sake of this great community, that the smear tactics employed by the PBA are not representative of our force as a whole! This was a black eye on our community and I believe the PBA owes the public an apology for writing such filth and wasting its member donations on garbage like that.

Get the part that Fudoli is but one vote, but is being targeted alone by the PBA:

• For not caring for public safety

• For the increase in crime rate – and where the informed know that most of that increase is coming from the big box stores along Transit Road and the hotels/motels that promote drugs and sex

• The Lancaster police department is among the lowest paid and would have accepted 3% salary increase while in contract negotiations – while failing to mention the police would take that without consenting to contribute 8% to their health insurance premium.

• The PBA declares there were more officers patrolling in 2003 than today. Of course there were. That was before the merger with the Village of Lancaster went into effect. The intent of the merger was to eliminate duplicity and lower costs.

• The PBA declares in the ad that Fudoli in not only threatening police layoffs has advocated for the layoffs of Lancaster Central School District teachers. I and several others have never heard Fudoli say that. Sounds like another cheap shot fabrication to discredit the man.

• Lastly, the PBA letter claims that Tom Malecki declared while presenting the June audit of fiscal 2014 at the town board work session that, “Roller coaster manipulation of tax cuts and the inevitable increases in the future will led to havoc and crisis.” I as well as several others who attended that presentation remember hearing no such admonishment." In fact, we remember it is as another good financial report.

If in fact this race turns out close, it is only because uniformed voters will drink the Kool Aid being dispensed by a disingenuous DEM Party once again playing its fear and smear tactics to discredit its opponents and carry on its the status quo patronage policies and practices.

As is repeatedly and aptly said, “Doing things the same way over and over again while expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity.” Hello Lancaster!

The one time my Bee wasn't delivered.

Georgia L Schlager

I see 2 lies in this mailer.

1. The property taxes that are unpaid are in Cheektowaga.

2. All school taxes are paid.

Georgia L Schlager

Breezy, the LDC must follow your posts.

Why in the world would the school district allow that financial train wreck be a coach for the Academy of Finance.
    What the hell were they thinking?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Not factual and earlier would have meant less ! Why would she have left earlier and risk a lower monthly pay check ! You need to "Max out your credits" to get the big payday. Plus if she did it earlier - she would then have to answer to the voters when seeking election !

Look, we know you want to see the good in her - everyone does ! But she is a victim of the game she was schooled in. If she has no intentions of double dipping why has she not stated that publically - she has avoided and not answered that question/issue. Her Party Supporters wont touch the double dip issue as well.

She was raised in the "Game" and if she has been as she claims: "I’ve sat here for 29 years biting my lip" then its her own people who have held her back - its their Party agenda she supported while holding her self back - her new line is, "I am woman - hear me roar - softly"
    Okay, you're saying if Coleman wins, she'll do the double dip which she hasn't claimed that she would do.

If Fudoli wins, will he introduce term limits, since that is part of the Republican platform?

Can you look into your "8" ball tell me the answer to that?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    The one time my Bee wasn't delivered.

Boy, what a great read, and very well written.

What a kick in the bum for Dino, too.

Well deserved.

The author certainly lays out some fundamental Town policy arguments that would cut into the logic of several on here and paint a completely different picture of Town finances under Mr. Fudoli. here, as opposed to what some have written extensively about on here.

Very small type, though, and the PDA should have inserted this ad in a full page format, and thus, inviting reading and most likely more folks would have taken the time to read the whole thing. Frankly, I was looking for a magnifying glass until I saw gorja post this and just enlarged my screen view about a hundred times. LOL

Readers, since this is such a great read for anyone following the election, it's only fair to reprint this on a thread of its own, and of course comment.

Something for a nice Sunday/Monday read.

Great piece and with a superior writing style, too.

Great job to whoever it was who wrote the thing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    Boy, what a great read, and very well written.

What a kick in the bum for Dino, too.

Well deserved.

The author certainly lays out some fundamental Town policy arguments that would cut into the logic of several on here and paint a completely different picture of Town finances under Mr. Fudoli. here, as opposed to what some have written extensively about on here.

Very small type, though, and the PDA should have inserted this ad in a full page format, and thus, inviting reading and most likely more folks would have taken the time to read the whole thing. Frankly, I was looking for a magnifying glass until I saw gorja post this and just enlarged my screen view about a hundred times. LOL

Readers, since this is such a great read for anyone following the election, it's only fair to reprint this on a thread of its own, and of course comment.

Something for a nice Sunday/Monday read.

Great piece and with a superior writing style, too.

Great job to whoever it was who wrote the thing!!!

http://www.lancasterbee.com/news/201...F/Page_020.pdf

It's at the bottom of the page

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information