Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U. S. cannot nullify treaties with Indians

I have a couple of thoughts about Indians and treaties.

As far as I can tell New York cannot make any treaties with Native American Indians as only the Congress can make treaties with any sovereign nation. So only the US Congress can make any of these treaties.

I understand that the Indians cannot be taxed, but those US citizens that purchase from the Indians can be taxed. The only way that I can see that New York state could even hope to collect tax from the citizenry is if they were to set up "border crossings" on roads leading to and from Indian territory similar to those leading to Canada or Mexico. I suppose that they would have to look in to whether it would be fiscally sound to do so. These crossings would have to be built and staffed 24/7.

The way I see it, the Indians have nothing to worry about. How long has the wrangling been going on about building a new Peace Bridge? getting Bass Pro downtown? This State would take about 100 years in order to properly plan, build and staff these "crossings" if they would be able to get this done at all.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by anyones neighbor View Post
    The idea that the government can just rewrite treaties to bring anything more into line with non-Indian viewpoints neglects the very concept of what a treaty is —an agreement between two or more sovereign nations. It cannot be nullified or abdicated by one party without the consent of the others.
    Treaties can be abolished. They are agreements, not hard laws. It's unfortunate, but it's the truth.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150 View Post
    Treaties can be abolished. They are agreements, not hard laws. It's unfortunate, but it's the truth.
    Not without an Act of Congress.

And how soon do you think THAT'S going to happen?
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Roll call....Murray...Present

Money talks and b.s. walks. That's the name of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Roll call....Murray...Present

Money talks and b.s. walks. That's the name of the game.
    Eh, a lot of money could be had by disolving reservations and taxing the land and people.

It'd be political suicide though. I think THAT'S the "name of the game."
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    Eh, a lot of money could be had by disolving reservations and taxing the land and people.

It'd be political suicide though. I think THAT'S the "name of the game."
    Even if we kept the land and Indians untaxable just abolishing the Bureau of Indian Affairs will reduce the federal budget by approximately $2.5 Billion. (see: http://www.doi.gov/budget/2010/data/..._Greenbook.pdf )
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    The biggest issue is soon to be facing us REPARATIONS.If the African American "slaves" get theirs LOOK OUT.
    OOOOOOO!!!! African Americans have been asking for reparations since the 1860s and aren't any closer to getting them now than they were 130 years ago.

FTR, why do you have "slaves" in quotes? Are you questioning that most American blacks today are the descendents of slaves? There were about 4 million slaves or desendents of slaves in the US in 1860, which would have been just about every black person in the US at the time. Since then, there has been significant migration of blacks from the Caribbean and from Africa, so there would be some blacks who wouldn't qualify, but I bet that the number of African Americans in the US today who are not descendents of American slaves is probably less than 10%. How can actually prove their lineage is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    OOOOOOO!!!! African Americans have been asking for reparations since the 1860s and aren't any closer to getting them now than they were 130 years ago.

FTR, why do you have "slaves" in quotes? Are you questioning that most American blacks today are the descendents of slaves? There were about 4 million slaves or desendents of slaves in the US in 1860, which would have been just about every black person in the US at the time. Since then, there has been significant migration of blacks from the Caribbean and from Africa, so there would be some blacks who wouldn't qualify, but I bet that the number of African Americans in the US today who are not descendents of American slaves is probably less than 10%. How can actually prove their lineage is another matter.

I highly doubt it is less than 10%. I would say less than 60%.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

There have not been any slaves in the United States since the Civil War (very shortly after the end of the war).

So, first of all, I don't believe any reparations are due anyone. But even if there were supposed to be reparations for slaves, there are no former slaves alive and therefore no reparations due. Many people come from lineage of people who were oppresses at some time or another. To expect reparations for something that happened to ancestors hundreds of years ago is a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    There have not been any slaves in the United States since the Civil War (very shortly after the end of the war).

So, first of all, I don't believe any reparations are due anyone. But even if there were supposed to be reparations for slaves, there are no former slaves alive and therefore no reparations due. Many people come from lineage of people who were oppresses at some time or another. To expect reparations for something that happened to ancestors hundreds of years ago is a fantasy.
    There are many slaves in the United States today. The current form of slavery is not the chattel slavery you may think of. Todays slavery is a very insidious form where the slaves are free to do some things but they all have to give the master a tribute and obey the master, the slave master of today is the government. The government demands you give it tribute i.e. taxes, fees, and you better obey the task master or they will punish you by arresting you and throwing slaves that do not beg for forgiveness in to a jail cell.

The new plantation is huge it is the country and is even broke up in to smaller plantations called states, counties, cities, and towns. If you are a good salve and wish to visit other plantations you can beg for a passport to visit other plantations.

Chaining people up is not feasible because of the overhead to keep watch over the slaves, if the slaves manage themselves and give a tribute to the master that is fine because the master can reap more profit from the slaves.
    If you walk around in a forest with your eyes closed you will eventually walk in to a tree.

2 + 2 = 5

Jesus died for your sins I do it for your mere entertainment dollar (Doug Stanhope)

Quote Originally Posted by Slim.fsp View Post
    There are many slaves in the United States today. The current form of slavery is not the chattel slavery you may think of. Todays slavery is a very insidious form where the slaves are free to do some things but they all have to give the master a tribute and obey the master, the slave master of today is the government. The government demands you give it tribute i.e. taxes, fees, and you better obey the task master or they will punish you by arresting you and throwing slaves that do not beg for forgiveness in to a jail cell.

The new plantation is huge it is the country and is even broke up in to smaller plantations called states, counties, cities, and towns. If you are a good salve and wish to visit other plantations you can beg for a passport to visit other plantations.

Chaining people up is not feasible because of the overhead to keep watch over the slaves, if the slaves manage themselves and give a tribute to the master that is fine because the master can reap more profit from the slaves.
    I understand what you mean and I want my reparations!!!

A simple piece of land of around 150 wooded acres with a small 2 bedroom cabin with electric, running water, would be sufficient. LOL

!

Congress, mainly this current Congress, thinks it can do anything, and it has shown America that it can do what it wants without opposition. Treaties are a piece of paper, a contract, and a contract can be redrawn which this current Administration is doing on everything it sees fit to change.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information