Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancaster to revisit and update Master Plan

Lancaster to revisit and update Master Plan

Resident Dan Beutler, Lancaster Zoning Board of Appeals member, addressed the town board this past Monday and declared he heard Supervisor Fudoli (at the earlier SEQR meeting) encourage the planning board members to look at and update the master plan.

Beutler thanked Fudoli for doing so. “It is time this document was reviewed and updated it. Al we are doing is building more and without direction on what’s best for the community.

Comments on the master plan by the writer

Chowaniec: Council member Stempniak, you have said what is most important in my mind – to focus on land use and zoning codes. I don’t believe residents come before the board to complain so much about development in general. In fact, they openly state they recognize the importance of development and the revenue it brings and favor it,

But what really irks residents on occasion is the promise made by developers to do things and where such promises don’t happen; like the construction of a buffer to ensure their privacy, storm water and sanitary sewer controls, making sure drainage is done properly and no water is shed onto their properties, where developers shoe horn in as many building lots as possible, where the property lines impact the quality of life of the established neighborhoods, and traffic controls not put in place to handle the increase in traffic and traffic safety issues.

I see the biggest issue taking place when a rezone is petitioned for. However, if residents impacted by the rezone don’t come before this board and make their concerns known, shame on them. Rezones for apartments, patio homes and townhouse complexes are the most troubling for residents living in established subdivisions; regarding character of the neighborhood appropriateness, whether such developments provide buffering, traffic controls with added development density, impacts on property values, etc.

Mrs. Stempniak I have read the master plan in its entirety. When you recently presented the findings for the denial of the one patio home project rezone petition, the reasons for such denial are already in the master plan. It is a matter of enforcement. However, the board has to hear from the residents as well. No resident opposition means the rezone petition is justifiable applicable.

Stempniak: Zoning is a double-edge sword. If something is zoned properly we cannot stop it. And some time you want to rezone because then you have a chance to review a process; like the apartments. If that was zoned properly you wouldn’t be having this argument, it would have been built. You kind of have to be careful… maybe you want the most restrictive zoning and then have many rezones; or does that show that the master plan is not updated. It’s kind of a balance that you have to weigh up.

Chowaniec: I agree that the master plan needs to be updated but I disagree with those declaring that we need to start all over.

Stempniak: I agree.

Chowaniec: Something needs to change on land use complexities and compliance to alleviate resident complaints.

Stempniak: As I said, a lot of the uses in the zoning code might have to be changed. Something that made sense in the past may not make sense today.

Chowaniec: I had no problem with the Harris Hill senior apartment / patio home complex being built. It is the traffic that will be generated here and traffic safety issues that will arise because the developer got a pass to not have to install a turning lane or to put in signalization.

Stempniak: That’s the county as you know; it’s a county road.

Chowaniec: Indeed it is a county road, but it is Lancaster residents who will most impacted and it is disturbing and disingenuous when I heard at the SEQR review the MRC declare that traffic impact will be ‘small to medium’. It is the town’s primary responsibility to protect the safety and best interests of its residents. Too often it has been the best interests of the developers and builders that have been served.

Comment

Thirteen years since adoption and the master plan is just now under review - despite the fact that then town board member Dan Amatura requested such review.

Council members Stempniak, as well as others on the town board, refer to the 2002 Comprehensive Plan as the Master Plan. And well they should because this plan was far from being comprehensive when adopted. It was then described as a ‘living document’ where land use and environment concerns would be dealt with as the town developed. Comprehensive plans differ from master plans in that they incorporate more quality of life aspects outside of infrastructure and land use, taking into account things like public health and safety and community character.

Prior to and especially after its adoption rezones were handed out like candy to a baby with an approval rate in the high 90’s. Land segmentation and bogus wetland delineations resulted in later drainage issues and need for DEC approvals to use wetland or 100-ft wetland adjacent property for usage.

The town continues to develop with developers now petitioning for rezones to infill smaller pockets of undeveloped land that do not meet the criteria of the master plan. But today residents are doing research, becoming informed and appearing at planning and town board meetings in large number to voice their opposition to rezones that adversely impact their privacy and quality of life.

There is ample town land to develop apartment, patio and townhome homes without having the developer seeking rezones in residential neighborhoods that do not favor such development – and where developers squeeze in as homes as possible without accommodating relief for neighbor privacy and quality of life; and where the land next to them was appropriately zoned R-1 (Residential District One).

The master plan already has the teeth to stop such intrusive rezones. It is a matter of the town being reticent to enforce its own codes. The residents deserve better.

Has anyone looked at Elma? I know absolutely nothing about thier town politics but development there is very slow and deliberate .You don't have 6 developments going in at once. Maybe we should look at thier master plan plan and zoning policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wow in lanc View Post
    Has anyone looked at Elma? I know absolutely nothing about thier town politics but development there is very slow and deliberate .You don't have 6 developments going in at once. Maybe we should look at thier master plan plan and zoning policies.
    I agree. Elma is a beautiful town and has always been a favorite of mine.

Its your choice !

What many Towns and Villages have - besides a growth plan/master plan is a Government that honestly realizes the need to use that plan.

Not Party Players who use it as a selective tool or campaign fluff !

Unlike Lancaster, other Towns have planning, zoning, Town Board Members/Liaisons who all have the same goals/agenda "Preserve green space and while building appropriate infra structure to accommodate slow planned growth"

These other Towns don't allow roads built by developers that don't meet standards
    - they don't allow subdivision infra structure, drainage systems to be built substandard and inadequate.

They have a Engineer (in the past we had Party/family members) that can actually do their job to insure proper building techniques are used and are built in proper areas/soils.

They have inspectors that aren't just doing spot checks, while out building their own business.

This has been Lancaster's main short fall - Everything our Town Hall has focused on in the not to distant past was "Party Building Tax Funded Patronage Growth" -

Growth is natural - tax income is the life's blood of any Government. But when millions are diverted for feel good items and to fund the Lan Dem "Perpetual Friends and Family Employment Agency" there's not much being used for infra structure needs.

It appears this November may bring a positive change for Lancaster's Government
    - but that remains the responsibility of the voters !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Where is that like button,👍

Thanks Gorga!

Thanks for sending me this report from the Clarence Bee. I am surprised you did not post it. At least the Clarence Bee sees the importance of having a Comprehensive Plan in place to control development, to accommodate for future growth and to act in the best interest of the community. It appears Lancaster media are fixated on more important things like printer/copier devices and dog control than the importance of the town having a master plan in place.

New plan, expanded goals
    Preliminary version of Comprehensive Plan 2025 unveiled

by STEVEN JAGORD - Editor

Guidelines that will mold the future of Clarence for the next decade are beginning to take shape.

A preliminary draft of Comprehensive Plan 2025 was unveiled during a joint meeting of the Town Board and Planning Board on Sept. 30. The plan is meant to replace Master Plan 2015, which is coming to the end of its life cycle and has helped town governing bodies make decisions — mostly related to development — for the past 14 years.

“This plan represents a strong statement of policy by the government body,” SPG President John Steinmetz said during the draft presentation. According to Director of Community Development Jim Callahan, the Planning Board began reviewing MP 2015’s goals in 2013. It then followed the county’s One Region Forward model, hosting a mapping exercise in 2014 to guide the development of future land use. Also last year, the town entered into a contract with Steinmetz Planning Group of Rochester to assist in the development of CP 2025.

Steinmetz added that comprehensive plans strengthen a community’s legal position in regard to land use and also can assist heavily in securing funding from resources such as grants for infrastructure.

Comprehensive plans differ from master plans in that they incorporate more quality of life aspects outside of infrastructure and land use, taking into account things like public health and safety and community character.

In addition to government bodies, Steinmetz met with numerous other groups the past few months to complete a preliminary plan. They include the Clarence Senior Center, Clarence Youth Bureau, high school students, sports groups, the Historic Preservation Commission, local developers, the Clarence Chamber of Commerce, Clarence Hollow Association and Clarence Clergy Association.

Steinmetz completed a community profile while drafting the plan and came to some conclusions about things that can be expected during the 10-year life cycle of CP 2025. They include that Clarence will continue to be an affluent community with a median average household valued at $237,000, compared to the county’s average of $124,000. Steinmetz also concluded that the town will continue to maintain significantly lower unemployment and poverty rates for the foreseeable future.

But when looking at demographic age data, an unsettling trend was revealed. Residents ages 24 to 35 and 35 to 44 declined by as much as 10 percent in each segment between 2000 and 2010. Steinmetz said in his review that those figures represent a large shift toward an aging population, likely to continue through at least 2020.

“With an aging population, you certainly have an interest in drawing in young families because they’re going to be our Highway Department, our Parks Department — any one of our fire department members — you typically draw on that group,” Planning Board member Paul Shear said.

Shear said even the prices of homes in aging areas such as Clarence Hollow and Harris Hill have risen significantly in the past few years, pricing out young families. More than 50 percent of residential housing stock in the town is valued at more than $200,000.

“Should we be concerned with the lack of affordable housing and the ability to draw that demographic into our town?” he added. “We have some areas that are in the $100,000 to $200,000 range, but not a great deal today.”

Planning Board Vice Chairwoman Wendy Salvati added that the town doesn’t have much available for rentals as steppingstones for young families looking to move to town with the intent to buy down the road.
    “What we have is luxury rentals for seniors,” she said.

Other community profile data revealed that 76 percent of the town’s assessed value is attributed to residential properties less than 5 acres; 13 percent is commercial or industrial; 4 percent is community services/public facilities (parks); and 8 percent is vacant/agricultural.

When looking at the actual land acreage and not the assessed value, 61 percent of the town is vacant/agricultural land, 25 percent is residential properties less than 5 acres, and commercial/industrial and community services/ public facilities each amount to 7 percent.

“That’s a significant, significant statistic,” Town Attorney Steve Bengart said. “That’s showing that we are pretty much relying on residential to fund our town.”

After discussing town facts and figures, Steinmetz divided CP 2025 into six categories: environmental health and sustainability, agriculture and open space, transportation and connectivity, public health and safety, community character and history, and economic development and hamlet revitalization.

The group discussed pressure from developers to continue building subdivisions and how development is depleting green space in town — often cited as one of the town’s most significant quality-of-life draws.
    “You take a farmer that’s been working for the last 50 years of his life, and he has three kids and they hate [farming]. When he’s no longer here, they’re going to figure out how to get a sewer there and they’re going to put up a subdivision,” Shear said. “I don’t know how we get around that — how we control that.”

Much debate occurred regarding the future of bike paths in the town and whether or not it would be smart to encourage cyclists to share the road with motorists in order to connect stretches of recreation paths throughout the town.

Steinmetz said his firm is currently assisting another town experiencing a similar debate and it is looking toward a 5-foot shoulder for cyclists to share on higher speed roadways. He said rumble strips would be used instead of striping in order to give cyclists the 5-foot zone and to alert motorists if they’re veering into the bicyclist’s right of way.

Traffic calming in areas such as the Hollow and Clarence Center were also touched upon.

Recreation was discussed during the part of the meeting that focused on public health and safety. There seemed to be a consensus that money was spent best on items that benefited the largest possible number of residents. The Youth Bureau, Senior Center and the possibility of a new community center were all touched upon, with financing any town facility project regarded as the biggest hurdle.

Design standards for future developments and the possible future establishment of historic districts were discussed during the segment on community character and history.

“Having a unity and consistency in your design standards is a tangible way to view a town, and that’s something we have a lot of information on and need be sure we’re all up to snuff on our design standards and portray a strong sense of unity so when applicants come in, they understand there will be a high level to maintain the integrity of this town,” junior planner Jonathan Bluer said. “I sense it’s already there and should be easy enough to embrace since we’re not creating it out of the blue.”

With regard to economic development and hamlet revitalization, Steinmetz said hamlets in Clarence are predicted to become more significant economic generators in years to come, particularly in the sectors of shopping, dining and entertainment. Throughout the rest of the town, infrastructure improvements such as power and sewer lines were viewed as the keys to industrial development.

The next step in the CP 2025 implementation process will be a future land use workshop at a time and date yet to be determined. The plan will have several more steps, including an open house and public hearing before it goes before the Town Board for adoption. It is expected to be adopted before the end of next year.

Comment

Council member Donna Stempniak, liaison to the planning board, declared at the recent town board meeting that the master plan needs review and updating because things that made sense years ago may longer do so.

Many of the rezones, and rezones of rezones, never made sense to attendees at town board meetings. They neither followed the guidelines of the master plan or town codes. The codes are in place. The will to enforce them has been lacking. Developers best interests have been served in Lancaster, not those of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Wow in lanc View Post
    I'm building my house in elma and i'm currently a Lancaster resident. There is a ton of development in Elma, but none of is in subdivisions. Lots are many acres in size. Elma only spends what they have. They have zero debt and no town tax. I believe that they budget for 3 miles of roads to be repaved each year and patching done beyond that where needed.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Thanks for sending me this report from the Clarence Bee. I am surprised you did not post it. At least the Clarence Bee sees the importance of having a Comprehensive Plan in place to control development, to accommodate for future growth and to act in the best interest of the community.
    You're welcome, Lee. I just thought that the Bee reporter wrote an article packed with information regarding the plan and the process.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    I'm building my house in elma and i'm currently a Lancaster resident. There is a ton of development in Elma, but none of is in subdivisions. Lots are many acres in size. Elma only spends what they have. They have zero debt and no town tax. I believe that they budget for 3 miles of roads to be repaved each year and patching done beyond that where needed.
    Hey Yokes:

If possible, can you tell me the reason for your leaving Lancaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Hey Yokes:

If possible, can you tell me the reason for your leaving Lancaster?
    Taxes is the first and foremost reason. I'm building a large house, almost completely with my own hands and some hired labor. When all is said and done, I know the house will be assessed based on its worth and not what I put into it. To give you a comparison, if you have a $500k house in Elma, the total tax bill is about $10k or 2%. For a $235k house in Lancaster, the bill comes in at $6,884, or 2.92%. School and county taxes are pretty much on par everywhere, but it's the town taxes that make the difference. Now I fear that when the house is complete, it could be worth quite a lot. In Elma, I'll save at least $4k per year in taxes alone.

I'm also sick to death of the traffic on William Street. My morning commute just to the 90 has increased from 11 minutes to 17 minutes in the past 10 years. There are 4 extra lights on the way now. In the afternoon, there's no good way back into Lancaster. Traffic is a disaster; harris hill, genesee, transit, william. I have to drive so far out of my way to avoid traffic and get home sooner.

I'm sick of seeing the town spend money like there's no end to it; the indoor baseball practice area, the toxic soccer turf field, the police building fiasco, changing street signs... Code enforcement is inconsistent. Plowing in winter has been horrible the last few years too.

I've never had a good experience talking with anyone at the town hall; assessor, town clerk, supervisor (giza). In my opinion, none of them are/were qualified for the jobs that they're in.

Everyone that I've dealt with in the Elma town hall is as nice and helpful as can be. I have yet to find a complaint with any of them.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I've never had a good experience talking with anyone at the town hall; assessor, town clerk, supervisor (giza). In my opinion, none of them are/were qualified for the jobs that they're in.
    Only qualification one needs is one more vote than the person your running against.

Taxes is the first and foremost reason. I'm building a large house, almost completely with my own hands and some hired labor. When all is said and done, I know the house will be assessed based on its worth and not what I put into it. To give you a comparison, if you have a $500k house in Elma, the total tax bill is about $10k or 2%. For a $235k house in Lancaster, the bill comes in at $6,884, or 2.92%. School and county taxes are pretty much on par everywhere, but it's the town taxes that make the difference. Now I fear that when the house is complete, it could be worth quite a lot. In Elma, I'll save at least $4k per year in taxes alone.

I'm also sick to death of the traffic on William Street. My morning commute just to the 90 has increased from 11 minutes to 17 minutes in the past 10 years. There are 4 extra lights on the way now. In the afternoon, there's no good way back into Lancaster. Traffic is a disaster; harris hill, genesee, transit, william. I have to drive so far out of my way to avoid traffic and get home sooner.

I'm sick of seeing the town spend money like there's no end to it; the indoor baseball practice area, the toxic soccer turf field, the police building fiasco, changing street signs... Code enforcement is inconsistent. Plowing in winter has been horrible the last few years too.

Everyone that I've dealt with in the Elma town hall is as nice and helpful as can be. I have yet to find a complaint with any of them.
    First off yaksplat, let me apologize for misdirecting my question to another individual.

That said; let me say that I appreciate your comments and perception. While I may not agree with all your observations, we are in total agreement concerning taxes, traffic and traffic safety issues, inconsistency in code enforcements and past town boards that were indifferent to resident issues and/or complaints.

Elma and some other municipalities have lower taxes because they don’t provide the same services as other towns do. I have a relative living in Cheektowaga who pays over $5,000 for a home assessed at $120,000.

There are other issues in the town that homeowners will not speak about – flooding, drainage, structural damage to foundations and buildings from developments that were built on wetlands or prior farmland soils not conducive for building, sewer and low water pressure issues. They choose not to come forward for fear of devaluing their property or retribution. However, there are more people coming to town board meetings than in the past making their complaints and concerns heard.

So when someone like Breezy declares that people are flocking to Lancaster because all is right with the town and that is due to good governance by past administrations that is pure BS. Let him or her do some research and see how many people of age are moving out because they can’t afford the taxes.

Lancaster is a great place to live in because of the people. The politics suck!

Take Your Blinders Off, Lee Chowaniec PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    So when someone like Breezy declares that people are flocking to Lancaster because all is right with the town and that is due to good governance by past administrations that is pure BS. Let him or her do some research and see how many people of age are moving out because they can’t afford the taxes.
    Take your blinders off, Lee!

Just get out of your house, and off your high horse. PLEASE!

Take a drive around Lancaster in order to see all the new residents in Town, heck, just see the new home construction pretty much in every part of Town. And heck, yaksplat mentions former Supervisor Giza, who by the way supported this appropriate policy even though most of these new residents built expensive homes, and most likely as a result are voters who happen to be Republican.

Anyway, pardon me in I have absolutely zero sympathy for $500,000 home yaksplat. $500,000 for your home and he complains that Elma is a better fit. Hmmmm When he/she has to take the weekly trash to the dump in Elma, gee, have fun.

The irony is just as quickly pity-me yaksplat puts the 500K home up for sale, most likely numerous residents who see this town for what it is, a great town without the terrible development policies like Amherst (where you could have a huge hotel built pretty much built in your back yard without any way to stop it) are not even discussed in Lancaster, let alone allowed to move forward.

I bet the Dems never had a chance with yaksplat in the first place.

He/she sounds like a certain vote for Joseph Brainard or Dino Fudoli, both who don't pay their taxes anyway until they are forced to!

Smell ya later, yaksplat!

Oh, and guess what?

There's a ton of politics in Elma, too, it's just a GOP club there.

And they are VERY political Republicans in Elma.

What ever happened to living within your means?

For my part, I guess I can't complain because my home is modest, but very nice. The mortgage is now paid and taxes are not that unmanageable.

But, if I built a $500,000 home, you sure bet I'd consider the property tax implications because that happened.

But folks, sure you have every right to build your McMansion any day of the week, that is your right.

But I roll my eyes when you complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    What ever happened to living within your means?

For my part, I guess I can't complain because my home is modest, but very nice. The mortgage is now paid and taxes are not that unmanageable.

But, if I built a $500,000 home, you sure bet I'd consider the property tax implications because that happened.

But folks, sure you have every right to build your McMansion any day of the week, that is your right.

But I roll my eyes when you complain.

What are you talking about? I stated that moving out of Lancaster will save me at least 4k a year in taxes? I can afford the taxes, but i'd rather take my family on an annual vacation instead of wasting the money on a tax bill that could be avoided. Why would I spend an additional $4k for no extra services? If I want garbage pickup in Elma, it's about $350 a year. No big deal.

If republican means no debt and zero town tax, i'll take it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information