Thread: Cuomo to announce new solar company for Batavia

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Cuomo to announce new solar company for Batavia

ALBANY A solar company plans to set up a manufacturing facility near Batavia and is expecting to create 700 to 1,000 jobs over five years.
    Gov. Andrew Cuomo will be in Batavia on Wednesday afternoon to announce the plans for 1366 Technologies at the Western New York Science Technology Advanced Manufacturing Park in Alabama, Genesee County.
    The announcement has been years in the making, and it will come with state and local incentives – which will be detailed at the announcement.
    http://www.wgrz.com/story/money/busi...avia/73512034/

Why Batavia? Wouldn't it be a better idea to condense businesses instead of sprawling them out? There is nothing wrong with Batavia in general. I'm looking at the big picture. Seeing solar city is on the water front would putting this company in that area be a better idea?

Possibly competition restrictions with the Solar City agreement?
    I'm just guessing.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why would there be a competition restriction? The tax payer is paying for the manufacturing plant.

Plus, I don't believe there would be any type of "competition" issue because most of the product is being shipping out of Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Why would there be a competition restriction? The tax payer is paying for the manufacturing plant.
    You answered your own question

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I did not. Explain to me ol wise one how I answered my own question. I'm finally done with work... I'm outta here.. I got a netflix movie to speed watch

I have an odd taste in movies.

I did not. Explain to me ol wise one how I answered my own question.
    One possibility is that since the state just spent $750 million to setup a solar manufacturer in Buffalo, they're not going to setup a competitor next door. Although in reality the proximity wouldn't really matter (a competitor in Batavia is still a competitor). Another possibility that I was originally thinking was that the company SolarCity included some sort of non-compete clause, where the state could not directly support any direct competitor within X miles of them. I'm sure their contract is very complex... who knows what's in it. But like I said, it's just a guess. I'm not even sure if these two companies are actually direct competitors or not.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Solar City should have no say in the matter. I'm sure the contract isn't the best it could be.

Why Batavia?
    Andy has to spread the pork.

Still, Batavia is better than Binghamton as it's still in the same region as Buffalo

Wouldn't it be a better idea to condense businesses instead of sprawling them out? There is nothing wrong with Batavia in general. I'm looking at the big picture. Seeing solar city is on the water front would putting this company in that area be a better idea?

Batavia and Buffalo is close enough for spin off to benefit off both of these.

UB stepping up solar or battery research at the Amherst campus would also help.

http://www.wgrz.com/story/money/busi...avia/73512034/

Why Batavia? Wouldn't it be a better idea to condense businesses instead of sprawling them out? There is nothing wrong with Batavia in general. I'm looking at the big picture. Seeing solar city is on the water front would putting this company in that area be a better idea?
    Why not, Batavia? They need job creation too. It will be located in Genesee county's 10 year tax free zone.
    http://wnystamp.com/

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information