Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suozzi? being honest.... woodstock style

TimeOut Chair

Suozzi? being honest.... woodstock style

Someone asked my what I thought of hearing Tom Suozzi tonight....

this is what I said (with a little more) :

Honestly, I thought he spewed a lot of proproganda, promises and too much of what we have already heard before - with no real hope of changes after an election.

uh, uh .... "I wanna reduce property taxes, I wanna make education better.
    and create jobs
    " - HELL, even a First Lady of the United States couldn't "create" jobs in New York State.

He talks a good game, having such success in Naussau Co. doesn't mean as a NYs governor he can clean up Erie County with one hand tied behind his back.

But, I will admitt... he has greater humor than most of the pols I've heard speak to the public before. He gets good promps in audience participation.
    "Woodstock style", would you want it any other way?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by woodstock
    Someone asked my what I thought of hearing Tom Suozzi tonight....

this is what I said (with a little more) :

"Woodstock style", would you want it any other way?
    I think he really wants to change the way NY does business. He just promises he can do it with out any real plan. He was very personable and friendly. I also liked that he had a young staff, not just entrenched politicians on it. I still have to hear from the GOP side before deciding who to vote for.

TimeOut Chair
    Quote Originally Posted by FJB
    I think he really wants to change the way NY does business. He just promises he can do it with out any real plan. He was very personable and friendly. I also liked that he had a young staff, not just entrenched politicians on it. I still have to hear from the GOP side before deciding who to vote for.
    That was the impression I got as well. No doubt he was able to straighten out Naussau (sp?) County, but I'd like to know he's going to fix Erie County from the other side of the state. He does have qualities, far better qualities than most candidates I have seen. Just keep in mind that the majority of candidates claiming to be "independant" from their party are usually first to jump in the sack once elected. It's called "working together" and I've seen it happen so many times. Not saying Suozzi will do that, but you can't be too careful within campaign promises.

so then, you'd rather not hear any promises at all?... how do you know anything about what they want to do?

It sounds like your perfect candidate would be Byron Brown: promise nothing and deliver less.

Even if a reform minded governor was elected the real structural changes that need to be implemented must be done through constitutional amendments. Which the voters of this state will not have an opportunity to convene a constitutional convention until 2017 (I believe). Therefore any substantive changes must first pass both senate and assembly in two successive two year sessions until it gets to be voted on by the people (not impossible, but daunting).

This is not to say that a reform governor cannot have an effect, but it will be limited because of the above reality.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Tom Suozzi said that he will affect the status quo by going directly to the people. He will make sure that instances of the status quo blocking needed reform will be communicated to the voters. It is a tough task given the current structure of NYS government, however, I sensed genuine concern while listening to Mr. Suozzi.

His five point plan, led by a 10% reduction in government employees, is doable and will contribute greatly to enhancing the business climate in our area and the whole state. As he said, if the businesses come, the people will follow.

I am a firm believer that economics is a prime force affecting the results of all political institutions. Problems stem from politicians who don't analyze the overall economic effects of their policies. Tom Suozzi's plan emphasizes actions which can have a maximum effect on the well being of the whole state.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

TimeOut Chair
    Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    so then, you'd rather not hear any promises at all?... how do you know anything about what they want to do?

It sounds like your perfect candidate would be Byron Brown: promise nothing and deliver less.
    At least with "promising nothing" they won't be held to what they say. That being said. If elected, a lot of ppl are going to hold Suozzi "job creation" and if not deleivered he'll be branded as another Hillary Clinton for New York State.

There is nothing at all wrong with campaign promises, but too many times promises are made for votes and nothing comes from it. I just think he's a smooth talker.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren
    Even if a reform minded governor was elected the real structural changes that need to be implemented must be done through constitutional amendments. Which the voters of this state will not have an opportunity to convene a constitutional convention until 2017 (I believe). Therefore any substantive changes must first pass both senate and assembly in two successive two year sessions until it gets to be voted on by the people (not impossible, but daunting).

This is not to say that a reform governor cannot have an effect, but it will be limited because of the above reality.
    If the communities get behind him reforms will happen much faster.

Calling Suozzi a smooth talker ignores his record as County Executive in Nassau County. He put forth an agenda of reform, downsizing government and economic revitalization. He deliverd on that agenda!
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    And so with gods and men

TimeOut Chair
    Quote Originally Posted by DelawareDistrict
    Calling Suozzi a smooth talker ignores his record as County Executive in Nassau County. He put forth an agenda of reform, downsizing government and economic revitalization. He deliverd on that agenda!
    Back to one of my original point:

Quote Originally Posted by ME
    He talks a good game, having such success in Naussau Co. doesn't mean as a NYs governor he can clean up Erie County with one hand tied behind his back.
    That being said, if he said he wants to be the next Executive for Erie County, I'll be first to say "bring him on". We're talking about governing ALL of New York State...

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Back to one of my original point:

That being said, if he said he wants to be the next Executive for Erie County, I'll be first to say "bring him on". We're talking about governing ALL of New York State...
    I guess you can say the SAME exact thing about Spitzer so now it's a mute point.

Suozzi Cleaned up government areas...

Spitzer Cleaned up private sector areas....

We need our governmental systems fixed because it's drawing far too much cash from our community. The community suffers because of it.

I would pick Suozzi because either way he has more experience down sizing and making government more efficient from what I hear than Elliot Spitzer.

The best part.. He will be watched like a hawk because our future lies in the hands of the next governor. We need them to debate on OUR issues right here in WNY. It's our job to pick the best for our community and a debate would help us decid who should be the ring leader for 4 years.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Is there anyone that can do me a favor? Dig up some new paper cliping links about Suozzi and Spitzer in regards to governmental reform.

TimeOut Chair
    MY bad, I hit the submit button too soon...

All of New York State has a June 2006 cash report that reads like this:

For the first quarter of the State’s 2006-07 fiscal year, General Fund receipts (including transfers) were $1.7 billion or 12.9 percent ahead of last year, as were General Fund disbursements (including transfers), which were $1.9 billion or 16.5 percent higher than last year.

The actual cash balance in the General Fund on June 30 was $4.5 billion, $26 million lower than projected. General Fund receipts (including transfers) of $15 billion were $164 million lower than projected, while General Fund disbursements (including transfers) of $13.7 billion were $138 million lower than projected. The Financial Plan does not project All Funds disbursements or receipts by month, so comparisons to budgeted amounts are not possible.

Governmental Fund receipts of $27.9 billion through the end of June were $1.9 billion or 7.3 percent ahead of last year, and disbursements of $25.5 billion were $2.4 billion or 10.6 percent higher than last year.
    What he did in Naussau (sp?) County.... great! It doesn't mean he can tackle an entire state, not with the political pull that our "house" has and make ERIE COUNTY any better. Does it?

Oh, and when you look at the June Cash report 2006, education $2,258,000 - and compare it to June 2005, education $1,808,000 - how can education be "improved" while at the same time reducing its cost? hmmm? or at least maintain the same cost as the year prior? It can't be done. Thus, "improving education" comes at a price .... a price we will have to pay in the long run as the "education cost" continues to rise.

TimeOut Chair
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Is there anyone that can do me a favor? Dig up some new paper cliping links about Suozzi and Spitzer in regards to governmental reform.
    Don't look at me.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    There are a bunch of relevant news sources consolidated on this page.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    And so with gods and men

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information