Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL on new stadium for the Bills

NFL on new stadium for the Bills

Roger Goodell sends Buffalo some pretty strong stadium hints

“I think the reality is the support of the fans is really the key,” Goodell said. “The business community is important also. But ultimately the stadium has to make sure it can attract both of those elements and then generate the revenue that’s necessary to be competitive in the league. So I think every team in the league continues to look at whether it’s a new stadium or renovations.”

====================

I really wish they would just come out and tell the truth.

Regardless of what people want to pay for a stadium, what they think of the current stadium or how much money Pegula is worth, the Bills are a part of a revenue sharing league and the reality is Buffalo takes more than they give. If Buffalo wants to keep the Bills...they need to produce more revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    the Bills are a part of a revenue sharing league and the reality is Buffalo takes more than they give. If Buffalo wants to keep the Bills...they need to produce more revenue.
    I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the NFL can't force the Bills to build a new stadium, and they can't force the owners to sell the team to someone else. I don't know the Pegulas plans, but if they intend on keeping the team for the long haul, then they can ignore the NFL whining about a new Buffalo stadium. Besides, they have to keep in mind what WNY can support, not just in the stadium itself, but in ticket prices.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    “I think the reality is the support of the fans is really the key,” Goodell said. “The business community is important also. But ultimately the stadium has to make sure it can attract both of those elements and then generate the revenue that’s necessary to be competitive in the league. So I think every team in the league continues to look at whether it’s a new stadium or renovations.”
    "I think the reality is having a team that goes the playoffs" Tony said. "Before anyone thinks property owners are going to foot some of the bill to build a stadium".

And if a stadium is built realize it's used very rarely. You build it in Buffalo you will still have a full size stadium in OP. What happens to that one?

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the NFL can't force the Bills to build a new stadium, and they can't force the owners to sell the team to someone else.
    The NFL can't force an owner to build a stadium and they can't force an owner to sell or relocate...to my understanding. So yes on the same page there. That said, they group of owners do have powers. It would be naive to think there are not tools and rules in place to protect teams from poor owners.

Personally I am watching how things shake out in Oakland because the NFL does not like Mark Davis and they want him gone. How they force this hand will be telling.

I don't know the Pegulas plans, but if they intend on keeping the team for the long haul, then they can ignore the NFL whining about a new Buffalo stadium.
    Can you expand on this? What I am reading is you think the Pegulas can just tell the NFL to go pound sand if they don't want to have a new stadium built. Is that right?

Besides, they have to keep in mind what WNY can support, not just in the stadium itself, but in ticket prices.
    I don't think this is as big of an issue as many like to try and make it. There was a time when people thought you would not be able to get $400k for a double in the city.... There is money in Buffalo. Or better put there is plenty of money in Western New York and Southern Ontario.

Now the 'townies' who have been going to Bills games every year since K-Gun Kelly was playing QB...those who get hammered in the parking lot and do flips onto card tables...they will most likely get priced out for sure. But the family with a combined income over $150k is going to gladly take their seats at a higher price knowing they don't have to sit next to a drunk fool the entire game.

Nope. The NBA couldn't force the sale of a team either until it did. They don't care what WNY can support. They care about what the NFL can make elsewhere. 300, you continue to be mired in your "Buffalo über alles" mind set. 99.9999999999 per cent of the world doesn't care what Buffalo thinks about anything. Get past it already for God's sake!

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    "I think the reality is having a team that goes the playoffs" Tony said. "Before anyone thinks property owners are going to foot some of the bill to build a stadium".
    I understand this logic but it's a really bad way to look at it.

San Diego did the same thing with the Padres. They made the playoffs and got a new stadium. After it was built the owner did a fire sale and the team has sucked for the last 10 years or so.

What they should be looking for is an ownership group that is willing to spend the money on the product. From the team to coaches and the front office. That's a better indicator of a return.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    And if a stadium is built realize it's used very rarely. You build it in Buffalo you will still have a full size stadium in OP. What happens to that one?
    You can repurpose it for multiple things.

1 - You start to look at making it a concert venue.
    2 - Use it for high school sports. Everything from soccer to LAX to football.
    3 - Have FC Buffalo move in.
    4 - etc

Tony Fracasso - Admin

4 - etc

1 - How many 50k+ concerts are there? Lot of seats. Chilly in the winter. Hot in the summer. Not that hot is a bad thing. I remember going to a Dead concert at the stadium in the summer. Talk about body odor.

2 - What are the current places high school sports, soccer and field sports going to be use for? What do you re-purpose those for?

3 - Had to look this one up.

http://www.fcbuffalo.org/

So you want FC Buffalo to play out in OP instead of Buffalo? Good way to brand the city.

I guess this is a soccer league? Never knew this existed. What will you re-purpose the field they currently use?

4- Would you sign a contract that ended in "Etc....." ?

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Nope. The NBA couldn't force the sale of a team either until it did.
    The NBA isn't the NFL.

Question for you: has the NFL ever forced an owner to sell, or forced an owner to build a new stadium?

Can you expand on this? What I am reading is you think the Pegulas can just tell the NFL to go pound sand if they don't want to have a new stadium built. Is that right?
    I'm not saying the Pegulas should sour their relationship with the league or with other owners. But as far as I know, the league can't force the Pegulas to sell or to build a stadium. I don't think the Pegulas are breaking any rules. I also don't see the NFL taken a brutal force tactic against an owner that would bring them negative political fallout on a national scale.

I understand this logic but it's a really bad way to look at it.

San Diego did the same thing with the Padres. They made the playoffs and got a new stadium. After it was built the owner did a fire sale and the team has sucked for the last 10 years or so.

What they should be looking for is an ownership group that is willing to spend the money on the product. From the team to coaches and the front office. That's a better indicator of a return.

4 - etc
    WELL...we could borrow some lions from the Buffalo ZOO...give them some exercise to roam free...like in Greek Roman times...

I'm not saying the Pegulas should sour their relationship with the league or with other owners. But as far as I know, the league can't force the Pegulas to sell or to build a stadium. I don't think the Pegulas are breaking any rules. I also don't see the NFL taken a brutal force tactic against an owner that would bring them negative political fallout on a national scale.
    The revenue sharing with the NFL is setup that each team gets to keep 60% of their gate. The other 40% goes to the owners to be split evenly. New England did $100 million at the gate and contributed $40m to revenue sharing. Dallas Cowboys did $94million and contributed $37.6m. The Bills did $49 million and contributed $19.6.

Just using these three teams as an example...each would walk away with $32.4 million.

If you think Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft are going to allow, year after year, Terry Pegula to shuffle off to Buffalo with with almost double what he put in while they see a loss.....you're pretty naive. Making it worse is another driver for the revenue for all owners is the TV rights and the value is being driven by Dallas and New England...not Buffalo.

As for political fallout...do you think Jerry Jones gives a f*ck what Mark Poloncarz or Bubby Brown would have to say? Do you think any politician of power would actually say anything? That's comical. There would be no political fallout.

Question for you: has the NFL ever forced an owner to sell, or forced an owner to build a new stadium?
    A question for you: Has there ever been a modern day owner who has refused to push for a new stadium? By modern day I am speaking about the guys who purchased a team in the hundreds of millions to billions range...not some guy who took a flyer for $25,000 on an AFL team in the 50s.

Not really sure where you think Pegula is not going to push for a stadium....at some point.

Pretty sure Pegula said he wants to build a new stadium but not now. He just spent a shipload of money and a lot goes into planning, etc. to begin with
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

The revenue sharing with the NFL is setup that each team gets to keep 60% of their gate. The other 40% goes to the owners to be split evenly. New England did $100 million at the gate and contributed $40m to revenue sharing. Dallas Cowboys did $94million and contributed $37.6m. The Bills did $49 million and contributed $19.6.

Just using these three teams as an example...each would walk away with $32.4 million.

If you think Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft are going to allow, year after year, Terry Pegula to shuffle off to Buffalo with with almost double what he put in while they see a loss.....you're pretty naive. Making it worse is another driver for the revenue for all owners is the TV rights and the value is being driven by Dallas and New England...not Buffalo.

As for political fallout...do you think Jerry Jones gives a f*ck what Mark Poloncarz or Bubby Brown would have to say? Do you think any politician of power would actually say anything? That's comical. There would be no political fallout.
    You haven't listed anything that shows the Bills breaking any league rules. The league setup the revenue sharing. Just because the Bills are making out nicely doesn't mean they can force them to stop without changing the rules again. So what the NFL doesn't like it. They shouldn't have setup the rules that way then.

As for politics - yes there could be political fallout if the NFL strong-armed the Pegulas into relocating the team, or forcing them to build a stadium that nobody wants or needs. If they were to start pissing off Schumer and Cuomo, things could get ugly for them and it would go far beyond NYS. Mock it all you want but the NFL halo is wearing thin in congress with monopoly issues, network blackout rules, and player concussions.

Not really sure where you think Pegula is not going to push for a stadium....at some point.
    I never said he wouldn't. It's all about IF he wouldn't. It's his team. He should only push for a stadium if he wants it. Secondly, if WNY wants it (since we'll be paying for part of it). My point isn't that Pegula won't push for a new stadium, it's that it's his decision first, not the NFL's.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information