Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which location would be the best site for the Buffalo Bills’ stadium?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Which location would be the best site for the Buffalo Bills’ stadium?

This is interesting

Which location would be the best site for the Buffalo Bills’ stadium?

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/p...adium/18066722

Didn't we already have this thread, like 3 times?
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Current pole started in Business First

Batavia

Keep the stadium in Orchard Park.
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Orchard Park.... IF not somewhere in Buffalo.

I think Orchard Park would be best for the taxpayers of Erie County.
    The road inter structure is already there.
    The cost of a new stadium would be just too high to justify its use for a few games a year.
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    If you listen to Jon Stossel he even shows where the tax payers don't really get a return on the investment.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The pros and cons of a new Bills stadium

BUFFALO, NY (WIVB) – Bill’s fans have been buzzing about a new stadium for years. When could it happen? Where could it be built? Or will the team stay in Orchard Park at the Ralph Wilson Stadium that was built in 1972.

http://wivb.com/2016/02/08/the-pros-...bills-stadium/

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    Didn't we already have this thread, like 3 times?
    Yes but it's fun every time.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    That story is new on WIVB. Because of the comment last time "Didn't we already have this thread, like 3 times?" I didn't start up a new thread. Just posted the article here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna View Post
    I think Orchard Park would be best for the taxpayers of Erie County.
    The road inter structure is already there.
    The cost of a new stadium would be just too high to justify its use for a few games a year.

A couple of things...

Your argument is based on the idea that the Bills should continue to play at the current stadium but this does not apply to the conversation because it's about where a new stadium will go.

Now if you're talking about building a new stadium in OP....well that's just crazy in my honest opinion.

Downtown is the only location that can offer reasonable access from both the highways, subway and Amtrak. Right there it makes it the most logical if infrastructure is a key consideration...which it should be.

Another key consideration, that's connected to infrastructure, is the ability for the Bills to draw from the region...not just Erie/Niagara County. It all lies with the Maple Leaf line on Amtrak. Right now, without a single penny of investment, you can take the Maple Leaf line from downtown Rochester to Downtown Buffalo in less than 80 minutes. You can get from Syracuse to Buffalo in 2hrs 30min. From the other side, it's only 2hrs from downtown Toronto to Downtown Buffalo.

This alone allows the Bills to draw from close to 6,000,000 people for games. This also means you can draw corporate sales from the same region and in turn that makes a team in Buffalo PLAYING IN DOWNTOWN BUFFALO much more profitable than a team playing in Orchard Park. FWIW, this is exactly what Charlotte has done with Raleigh. They have been so successful in getting fans from around the state to use the train that Amtrak has added additional runs on weekends when the Panthers play at home. That is a huge game changer.

So much of a game changer that I honestly think Pegula will pay a significantly higher % of the new stadium cost if said stadium is in a location that puts the Bills in better position to sell tickets and luxury boxes. In turn, this means less need for the taxpayers to subsidize the team.

Lastly, the argument that the stadium is only used a couple times a year is a false one. It's been proven wrong so many times. That said, it's not used every day of the year but the closer it is to things like Hotels, Restaurants and mass transit the more often it can be used.

The same sales pitch for the Maple Leaf line on Amtrak for Bills games can be used for every other event. Want a NCAA regional or even maybe a final four? The stadium needs to be downtown. Want the biggest of the biggest concerts? The stadium needs to be downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    If you listen to Jon Stossel he even shows where the taxpayers don't really get a return on the investment.

Honest question, just how is it even possible to calculate a return on investment for things like this? Beyond that, is there anything that does provide a 1:1 return or better for taxpayers?

Interesting video of a train ride from Toronto to NYC. I found it because I was looking up how they did customs over the border. If you go to 8:45 in the video you hear the conductor say that customs comes on the train and does the inspections while you remain seated. Sounds pretty relaxing honestly.

Not sure if people know this but you can bring your own food/drinks on the train. Obviously in good taste but it's not against the rules to have a couple of cocktails on your ride.

Without looking at the video.....we have not done inspections, on the train, in probably 15-20 years. That said, you are absolutely correct about the viability of the train from either direction.

b.b.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information