Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Summerfield Farms Phase IV????

Hey Pudge:

You've got a good memory for my posts, some of which are probably 6-12 months old; I'm flattered. And, yes, my statement that residential growth is the problem, not commercial growth, is correct.

For the past umpteen years, people like you have been bitching and moaning about Wal-Mart because of traffic, blah blah blah. Meanwhile, Cheektowaga approved, and built a new Target, directly across the street, within about a 6-month period. They realize that, if it doesn't go on the Cheektowaga side, it will go on the Lancaster side, so they're going to have the traffic anyway, and they may as well get the tax benefits.

The fact that you don't like "big boxes" is fine, that's your opinion. And you're entitled to voice it all you want, but, how come Kohl's didn't face any opposition from the likes of you?

Also, here's a little news flash, Pudge - the reason Wal-Mart, Target, Kohl's etc, want to go there is because of all the nice new expensive homes along Willliam Street. Lots of people with lots of money. So, I go back to the original point which you quited from me - Residential growth is what you should be fighting, not commercial. Had those homes not been built, the Big Boxes wouldn't have any interest in the area.

The fact that you don't like Dunkin Donuts if fine, but as far as I can count, there have been 4 or 5 Tim Horton's built in the area over the past few years. Did you have an issue with those, as well? (For the record, you should have an issue with those, as they clog the streets more than any other business).

The fact that you don't like businesses is fine. But when you said "Lancaster doesn't deserve....." certain businesses, well, that's just plain silly. In hindsight, you probably realize it.

You said
    However, I have no say in its development, or any other town projects for that matter.
    Of course that's not true. Planning Board and TB meetings are open to the public so that people can voice their opinion. Become one of those people who show up at every meeting. The truth is, however much they may be maligned by the Public Officials, they carry more weight that than your average citizen. Those people are powerful. Every town has them, and, as much as I usually disagree with them, I give them a heck of a lot of credit.
    We have a Wegmans and Tops in the area, why do we need an Aldi’s?

We have Kohl’s and a Target in the area, why do we need a Wal-Mart?
    Free market, Pudge. You can't tell a business "We don't want you here, because your competition is already here". THAT would just be leaving things WIDE open to corruption, kickbacks, etc. Besides, WalMart was in the planning stages long before Target and Kohl's. Can you imagine, the Town now saying "Sorry WalMart, we can't let you here now, because your competition is here.

However, I can express my opinion, and that seems to bother someone like you who is hypersensitive to someone’s differing opinion. So, have another good laugh!
    I've never had a problem with someone expressing their opinion, But if I think someone's opinion is idiotic, I will probably let them know.

ts not that the town doesn’t deserve the businesses mentioned, but that the town deserved better – especially when weighing the adverse impacts these businesses bring into the community.
    I'd be willing to listen to what you have to say about this.But you did use the word "deserve" in your earlier post. That was the part that got me going.

Hey Rising:

In your last comments to me, you wrote, “I've never had a problem with someone expressing their opinion, but, if I think someone's opinion is idiotic, I will probably let them know.” And later, you state,” I'd be willing to listen to what you have to say about this, but…

Your condescending tone and word choice of “pisser” and “idiot and idiotic” can only mean to me that your willingness to listen is only based on whether someone sees it your way.

You are obviously pro development at all costs, seeing only the revenue stream that comes to the town and profit to special interests, while ignoring impacts to the community; the same impacts you yap about with residential development.

You tell me to forget about the Wal-Mart developer, yet if he and the town had not played whores for the Wal-Mart, other businesses could have been operating on that site years ago and bringing tax dollars to the town. As a matter of fact, the Kohl’s wanted to be on this site, but they were blown off by the developer as he continued to whore for Wal-Mart. The Kphl’s would have been just fine.

Yes, I am a Wal-Mart non-supporter, and became more so when I watched Wal-Mart sit on the sideline and watch the whores fight for them. For the first two years that the project was being reviewed, neither the town or project sponsor would owe up that the major tenant was going to be a Wal-Mart – because they knew there was going to be controversy.

Unlike “Bob the Builder” Giza who would sell this town out for more tax dollars and tells everyone that “everyone I know wants a Wal-Mart”, everyone I know doesn’t want this pond scum in town.

That’s my opinion, get it! And that’s the last of it on this thread!

Back to Summerfield Farms.
    The DEC is in the process of promulgating Wetland LA-17 as a state jurisdictional wetland. If that happens, streets in Summerfield Farms may lie within this wetland and some of the remaining undeveloped land. The DEC would be looking at the delineation different from the Corps.

Unlike the Corps, the DEC would consider wetlands within 50 feet of each other, and with a connecting ditch, stream or point source as being connected – unlike the Corps where those wetlands would be considered “isolated” by the federal agency and able to be filled in. Since the SWANC decision, the Corps, under the Bush administration, has become environmental weak in protecting wetlands.

The DEC has become more involved in what’s going on in Windsor Ridge and has forced the project sponsor to make numerous concept changes – and is not done yet. It’s about time some regulatory agency got some balls!

Oh, by the way Rising, do you attend public hearings and fight for public best interests, or just show up when a commercial enterprise is about to be approved?

pudge

Quote Originally Posted by pudge

Back to Summerfield Farms.
    The DEC is in the process of promulgating Wetland LA-17 as a state jurisdictional wetland. If that happens, streets in Summerfield Farms may lie within this wetland and some of the remaining undeveloped land. The DEC would be looking at the delineation different from the Corps.

Unlike the Corps, the DEC would consider wetlands within 50 feet of each other, and with a connecting ditch, stream or point source as being connected – unlike the Corps where those wetlands would be considered “isolated” by the federal agency and able to be filled in. Since the SWANC decision, the Corps, under the Bush administration, has become environmental weak in protecting wetlands.
    Forgive me for not completely understanding this, but does this mean that the EXISTING homes in Summerfield Farms lie within a wetlands, or FUTURE homes will? I'm just wondering whether this project is dead in the water or if it's coming back to life, albeit, very slowly?

Ghosthunter wrote:

Forgive me for not completely understanding this, but does this mean that the EXISTING homes in Summerfield Farms lie within a wetlands, or FUTURE homes will? I'm just wondering whether this project is dead in the water or if it's coming back to life, albeit, very slowly?
    Should the DEC use the wetland boundaries they are now considering for promulgating Wetland LA-17, Avian Way most likely would sit in that state regulated wetland. As such, residents living on that street, or others also within that boundary, would find the DEC placing “restrictive deeds” on the properties – as happened in Windsor Ridge North.

That means that if any part of the developed property lies in the wetland, and you wanted to put up a shed, install a pool or whatever, you would have to apply for a DEC permit as well as a town permit – and there could be other restrictions.

However, the town has contacted the DEC on what they consider is a “new approach” on delineating wetlands. If the project has been held up, most likely it is the result of this new wetland designation development.

The DEC may start taking a stronger stance on building in wetlands because of resident flak about the flooding and drainage issues in those new developments, and to properties in surrounding developments.

pudge

Quote Originally Posted by pudge
    Ghosthunter wrote:

Should the DEC use the wetland boundaries they are now considering for promulgating Wetland LA-17, Avian Way most likely would sit in that state regulated wetland. As such, residents living on that street, or others also within that boundary, would find the DEC placing “restrictive deeds” on the properties – as happened in Windsor Ridge North.

That means that if any part of the developed property lies in the wetland, and you wanted to put up a shed, install a pool or whatever, you would have to apply for a DEC permit as well as a town permit – and there could be other restrictions.

However, the town has contacted the DEC on what they consider is a “new approach” on delineating wetlands. If the project has been held up, most likely it is the result of this new wetland designation development.

The DEC may start taking a stronger stance on building in wetlands because of resident flak about the flooding and drainage issues in those new developments, and to properties in surrounding developments.

pudge
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'm really glad I don't live on Avian Way - sounds like the whole thing could be a royal pain in the backside.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall806
    I just read the report from the Army Corps of Engineers. The amount of wetlands to be taken is less than 2 acres. They are proposing to CREATE OVER 3 ACRES OF NEW WETLANDS!! as a replacement for the wetlands that they have taken. Nothing wrong with that.
    Why do the wetlands need to be replaced?
    "At a minimum, a head of state should have a head."- Vladimir Putin

Wetlands are needed for ECOSYSTEM

Quote Originally Posted by colossus27
    Why do the wetlands need to be replaced?
    Wetlands are like natural sponges and act like water filters - among other things.

It's like the rain forests - lakes and ponds - they all help regulate our environment.

Just look around you - global warming - polluted water - declining resources .

Just do a Google search on "Wetlands" and the other topics listed above .

Every decision made concerning development will influence our future life conditions - whether its traffic that leads to pollution or over building that pushes animals into our yards.

To some its only about buying wetlands for less money and then getting self serving , like minded people (Town Board) to approve over building these areas to increase profits.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information