While we close in on four years since their purchase of the former Gun Club on Maple Road, the contamination still sits there festering, like so many of Benderson Development’s empty storefronts in Amherst and Western New York in general. Contamination of the site was well known at the time of purchase, and Benderson accepted the responsibility of the clean-up once the deal was closed.

In his vote of support for the rezoning of the site, Dr. Barry sited his concern “as a physician” that the zoning be approved so the site would get cleaned up. He could have said, “As an elected official of the Town of Amherst, I object to the rezoning as it is contrary to our adopted Masterplan, but as a physician I insist the developer act on their responsibility to clean up this site immediately.”

It seems if his justification for approving the rezoning was genuine, then he would have been leading the charge to get this site decontaminated from the start. Instead it is apparent he was willing to hide behind his title of “doctor” when making a decision which was clearly meant to be based on zoning, traffic, quality of life, and Masterplan considerations.

I did not hear him press for the clean up before the vote or in the many months that have followed since the vote either. Based on his inaction, his concern for our Town of Amherst residents health does not seem very passionate at this time.

He was well aware at the time of his vote that the developer was responsible for cleanup of the site from the start regardless. So if he wants to be a leader, Dr. Barry better start being more honest about his motivations when making decisions or when he is voting on land use, budget, or any other issues that come before the Town Board, and stop hiding behind one of his other titles.