Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious Questions About Buffalo Schools Bidding Practices

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Serious Questions About Buffalo Schools Bidding Practices

Full Story on Channel 4

(Buffalo, NY, July 20, 2006) - - A Buffalo school board member and a business vendor are raising serious questions about bidding practices in the district. They're telling Senior Correspondent Rich Newberg that contributions to to a foundation set up by Superintendent Dr. James Williams are now a factor in getting school contracts.
    Ludtka Sporting Goods in Cheektowaga has been providing the Buffalo school system with equipment and uniforms for 15 years, but now says it has been shut out of doing business with the district, because it wouldn't contribute money to a foundation started by school superintendent Dr. James Williams.
    Debbie Lancellotti of Ludtka Sporting Goods said, "We simply cannot give them $15,000 or $20,000 in advance to get all of the equipment awarded to us."
    The Buffalo Schools Foundation, started by Superintendent Williams, is designed to raise money for district sports programs, at a time when money is scarce.
    Companies that put up advance money get exclusive contracts for as long as six years.
    Williams said, "We put out bids. People bidded on it. Some people refused to bid on it. But I'm doing what I think is right for the children, and that's how I made my decision."

If the foundation was for him I would see a problem with it but its for the district and the district awards the contract so I see nothing wrong with it at first blush.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Williams' response doesn't inspire much confidence. It sounds to me like "the end justifies the means", and that simply can not be tolerated. I will be very sad if it turns out that way, the man has always seemed very honorable. Good intentions is simply not an excuse.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I think the practice should be stopped. You should have to "pre pay" in order to sell our community product.

(Buffalo, NY, July 21, 2006) - - Controversy is swirling around Buffalo School Superintendent James Williams Friday afternoon. Senior Correspondent Rich Newberg first broke the story Thursday night at 5, about a request for contributions from bidders who want to do business with the Buffalo District. Rich has the latest.

The Buffalo Schools Foundation created by Superintendent James Williams has already been collecting money to benefit sports programs, the arts, and scholarships for students in the district.

The foundation is totally separate from the Board of Education, although the board approved its formation months ago.

Vendors who have done business with the city have been asked to contribute to the foundation as part of the bidding process, and we reported Thursday night that Ludtka Sporting Goods claims it was shut out because it did not want to come up with $17,500 for the foundation.
    School board member Ralph Hernandez has raised questions. The school administration says the up front payment is always a request and not a requirement.

http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5179945
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

I think it's been a slow news day today. The Buffalo Public Schools need to be creative; let Williams earn his $300,000+ salary - he's only doing his best!

what do people expect Williams to do?

there is NO FREAKING MONEY here!

I would applaud the man for finding a way to get things DONE instead of crying about how everything is impossible and we need more money from Albany or we need to create a new state

Williams M.O of knocking people around is what is needed here... people here need to wake the F up and get with the program
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Trolls_r_us
    what do people expect Williams to do?

there is NO FREAKING MONEY here!

I would applaud the man for finding a way to get things DONE instead of crying about how everything is impossible and we need more money from Albany or we need to create a new state

Williams M.O of knocking people around is what is needed here... people here need to wake the F up and get with the program
    This is wrong.. If you have to "donate" before you bid this is as bad as saying lets bribe them first. You are automatically adding that "donation" to the cost of doing business with the schools.

Pretty tacky.. you should ask SPITZER what he thinks about paying to do business.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Opps I be he's turn it over to Clark because he wouldn't want to step on teacher voters toes..

it does sound iffy

but at least the guy is getting something done

talk about a NO WIN position

WHATEVER he does, he is wrong in one group or another's view.

Might as well be wrong AND get programs funded

I'm not saying it's necessarily "right" but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

you can charge only the cost of printing and mailing a bid anything over that is a bribe to get first in line. used to be free money for whoever was incharge. not sure who keeps the bid fees now but i'm sure it does not get returned to the bidders who fail to get the contract and i would check real close to see where it does go
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Trolls_r_us
    it does sound iffy

but at least the guy is getting something done

talk about a NO WIN position

WHATEVER he does, he is wrong in one group or another's view.

Might as well be wrong AND get programs funded

I'm not saying it's necessarily "right" but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do

He's completely WRONG on this issue. It's completely locks out someone who may be lowest bidder because they don't have $20,000 grand up front.

It's wrong wrong programs or not.

You have someone bribing a government entity to get thier business. It's locks out hte little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    You have someone bribing a government entity to get thier business. It's locks out hte little guy.
    doesnt it often work that way in the private sector as well though?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by steven
    doesnt it often work that way in the private sector as well though?
    Nope. Not with the people we deal with. I have yet been forced to spend money up front to do business with companies. Well only once.. The buffalo bills. They stuck us with loads of stuff because we wouldn't advertise in thier sports magazine. Basically black mailed us. Spend some money or we will stop using your company with projects in the works. We told them to go away.

IT's all that karma stuff Treat your vendors like crap and karma will bite you in the arse... You haven't seen any superbowls won lately have you

I have yet been forced to spend money up front to do business with companies.
    It is illegal. The only thing that may be required is proof of business insurance and workers comp. It is odd that many government entities can get away with things that private sector companies can't. Then again, it really isn't so odd, is it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information