Thread: how to dispose of ash

Question how to dispose of ash

I heat my garage in winter with wood. I have been dumping the ash into my fire barrel, and then in spring, I dump it around my trees in my back yard.

Can I dispose of it in the garbage? If so, do i put it in plastic or paper bags? Do i set it next to the blue bin or in the blue bin?

I garbage picked a large old fashioned milk jug over the summer made out of steel, which I plan to use as my ash can... you know clean out the stove, put the hot ash in this can and set it outside for a week to let it go out, then hopefully toss it.

for the passed few years, we clean out the hot ash into a metal bucket then dump the hot ash into our fire pit in the back yard... but like I said, I have enough ash around... and would like to just get rid of it...
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Wood ash can be very benefitial to people growing organic gardens. You might like to talk to some neighbors and see if they have any use for wood ash before chucking it in to the garbage.

Plants that like asparagus and juniper would do well with some ash since it will change the PH of the soil to more alkalinity.
    If you walk around in a forest with your eyes closed you will eventually walk in to a tree.

2 + 2 = 5

Jesus died for your sins I do it for your mere entertainment dollar (Doug Stanhope)

Maybe one of the community gardens would like some of it. PM Michele Johnson.

I got this from This Old House:http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...581470,00.html

A cord of firewood can produce 50 pounds of ashes—a formidable heap of soot but also a great source for mineral-rich dust that has practical uses. Just be careful to store them in a fireproof container with the lid shut to choke any embers. Unlike ashes, you can't use flames any place except in the fireplace.

Use wood ashes to:

1. De-skunk pets. A handful rubbed on Fido's coat neutralizes the lingering odor.

2. Hide stains on paving. This Old House technical editor Mark Powers absorbs wet paint spatters on cement by sprinkling ash directly on the spot; it blends in with a scuff of his boot,

3. Enrich compost. Before the organic compound get applied to soil, enhance its nutrients by sprinkling in a few ashes, says the host of radio's You Bet Your Garden, Mike McGrath. Adding too much, though, ruins the mix.

4. Block garden pests. Spread evenly around garden beds, ash repels slugs and snails.

5. Melt ice. TOH building editor Tom Baker finds it adds traction and de-ices without hurting soil or concrete underneath.

6. Control pond algae. One tablespoon per 1,000 gallons adds enough potassiumm to strengthen other aquatic plants that compete with algae, slowing its growth,

7. Pump up tomatoes. For the calcium-loving plants, McGrath places 1/4 cup right in the hole when planting,

8. Clean glass fireplace doors. A damp sponge dipped in the dust scrubs away sooty residue.

9. Make soap. Soaking ashes in water makes lye, which can be mixed with animal fat and then boiled to produce soap. Salt makes it harden as it cools.

10. Shine silver. A paste of ash and water makes a dandy nontoxic metal polisher.

Since we live In WNY, #5 should be a big help in disposing of your ashes! Just make sure it isn't Grandma. My cousin almost put our Grandma on the sidewalk once (no joke).

I just can't resist! Don't make an ash of yourself!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayingKoi View Post
    I got this from This Old House:http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...581470,00.html

A cord of firewood can produce 50 pounds of ashes—a formidable heap of soot but also a great source for mineral-rich dust that has practical uses. Just be careful to store them in a fireproof container with the lid shut to choke any embers. Unlike ashes, you can't use flames any place except in the fireplace.

Use wood ashes to:

1. De-skunk pets. A handful rubbed on Fido's coat neutralizes the lingering odor.

2. Hide stains on paving. This Old House technical editor Mark Powers absorbs wet paint spatters on cement by sprinkling ash directly on the spot; it blends in with a scuff of his boot,

3. Enrich compost. Before the organic compound get applied to soil, enhance its nutrients by sprinkling in a few ashes, says the host of radio's You Bet Your Garden, Mike McGrath. Adding too much, though, ruins the mix.

4. Block garden pests. Spread evenly around garden beds, ash repels slugs and snails.

5. Melt ice. TOH building editor Tom Baker finds it adds traction and de-ices without hurting soil or concrete underneath.

6. Control pond algae. One tablespoon per 1,000 gallons adds enough potassiumm to strengthen other aquatic plants that compete with algae, slowing its growth,

7. Pump up tomatoes. For the calcium-loving plants, McGrath places 1/4 cup right in the hole when planting,

8. Clean glass fireplace doors. A damp sponge dipped in the dust scrubs away sooty residue.

9. Make soap. Soaking ashes in water makes lye, which can be mixed with animal fat and then boiled to produce soap. Salt makes it harden as it cools.

10. Shine silver. A paste of ash and water makes a dandy nontoxic metal polisher.

Since we live In WNY, #5 should be a big help in disposing of your ashes! Just make sure it isn't Grandma. My cousin almost put our Grandma on the sidewalk once (no joke).
    Okay, I'm gonna save all the ashes from my backyard firepit to put around my hostas next spring!!!

Do your hosta's get slugs? Mine always did. I also have had a horrible problem with Japanese Beetles eating my veggie garden. Last year I planted eggplants and that was all the little beasties ate. I planted them again for the sole purpose of pest control. Worked again! I don't even care that I didn't get any fruit!

Thread Information