Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Term Limits/4YearTerms

Term Limits/4YearTerms

BigGuy said this on the County Manager Thread:

I believe in longer terms (four years, not the silly two where as soon as someone wins they start preparing for the next election) and maybe term limits, especially for the County Executive.

I couldnt ask for better timing. Today, Legislators Konst, Iannello and I clocked in the attached proposed Local Law. I have already heard from one of my collegues who refuses to let the voters decide this because he believes the people who want it are fringe types... Go figure. I told him he should let the voters decide if the want this, he thinks he was elected to decide this for them.

Cindy
    Last edited by CindyLocklear; January 2nd, 2008 at 06:23 PM.

Cool Maybe a good start...

What or where (an other municipality/county/etc.) is your local law based upon? Why twelve years, and not eight or ten?

I strongly disagree with Section "E" of your proposal and find it a reason some of your colleagues, especially the longer term ones, will object to and not vote for. "Special interests" can mean many things, and you are inferring something that does not belong in statute.

Clean it up and remove the positioning.

But, it is better that what exists now.....

OK, here's my thought, although I think a four-year term makes greater sense than a two-year term (for the reasons you state) I think we run into a problem with term limits - and that is, not enough quality people want to run...when we DO get good people in (and hopefully, this is evidenced by actual accomplishments) I would hate to lose them b/c of a technicality.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    OK, here's my thought, although I think a four-year term makes greater sense than a two-year term (for the reasons you state) I think we run into a problem with term limits - and that is, not enough quality people want to run...when we DO get good people in (and hopefully, this is evidenced by actual accomplishments) I would hate to lose them b/c of a technicality.
    12 years is a long time. If anyone is looking to turn the job into a lifetime career, then I'm not sure we want them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy
    What or where (an other municipality/county/etc.) is your local law based upon? Why twelve years, and not eight or ten?

I strongly disagree with Section "E" of your proposal and find it a reason some of your colleagues, especially the longer term ones, will object to and not vote for. "Special interests" can mean many things, and you are inferring something that does not belong in statute.

Clean it up and remove the positioning.

But, it is better that what exists now.....
    BigGuy; When you have this job, you can submit your ideas anyway you wish.

I agree that the term limits are a good idea. With the current state of government in this area, we don't seem to have a problem losing "good" legislators. We do, however, have a problem with not being able to get rid of "bad" legislators.

Twelve years is a long time. After that long, it's a good time for a perspective change by trying a different job. There's no shortage of public jobs in this area either.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CindyLocklear
    BigGuy; When you have this job, you can submit your ideas anyway you wish.

Amazing. I always thought that a legislator's job was to take input from constituents and residents, to make informed decisions and do what is best for the community. The entire community.

I gather from the above quote that you disagree. It is, in your world, "my way or the highway".

What a shame. I weep for your constituents.

I'll get you hanky.

Amazing. I always thought that a legislator's job was to take input from constituents and residents, to make informed decisions and do what is best for the community. The entire community.

I gather from the above quote that you disagree. It is, in your world, "my way or the highway".

What a shame. I weep for your constituents.
    You seem to have come to the mistaken conclusion that I posted this here for the purpose of "drafting by committee" with you, Mr. Anonymous poster with your capabilites of 'drive by sniping'. Wrong.

You also seem to have missed the point made that I am working with Two other legislators on this. Further, it has been clocked in.

Why dont you save your snide commentary for legislators who wont even let an idea like this get to the People?

Cool

Buffy and Solar Eclipse, you make good points about term limits. The best legislators would be shut out after the limit along with the "other" ones.

There is also the spectre of term limited legislators having the day to day workings of government taken over by the professional legislative staff. This is also a mistake, as these staff people (although many times pure of heart!) do not answer to any constituentcy, electorate or public need. They only need be reappointed to their positions by the new legislators, who often do not wish to "rock the boat".

Many argue that we already have term limits, as our representatives need to be re-elected every two or four years.

Buffy and Solar Eclipse, you make good points about term limits. The best legislators would be shut out after the limit along with the "other" ones.
    Don't misconstrue my point. I'm in favor of term limits. My argument is counter to those who think good legislators will be shut out. Twelve years is long enough. A good legislator should be able to easily find a new job.

Cindy
    how long does a county leg have to serve to be able to collect a pension?
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

They are in the State Retirement System

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    Cindy
    how long does a county leg have to serve to be able to collect a pension?
    "Vesting Your Membership
    Vesting is automatic when you have five or more years of member service; you don’t have to fill out any paperwork. As a vested member, you may leave public employment and, at a later date (age 55 for most members), apply for and receive your service retirement benefit.

Tier 3 and 4 vested members with five, but less than ten, years of service credit have the option of voluntarily withdrawing their membership and receiving a refund or rolling over their contributions to an IRA or another qualified retirement plan.
    " http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/pu...ell-vo1878.htm

Tier 4s are employees hired after Sept 1, 1983

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CindyLocklear
    You seem to have come to the mistaken conclusion that I posted this here for the purpose of "drafting by committee" with you, Mr. Anonymous poster with your capabilites of 'drive by sniping'. Wrong.

You also seem to have missed the point made that I am working with Two other legislators on this. Further, it has been clocked in.

Why dont you save your snide commentary for legislators who wont even let an idea like this get to the People?

Wow. Bitter.

Public commentary on proposed legislation is the reason local laws need to age before consideration. But, you would know that if you weren't an apathetic citizen before (and it seems since) your election.

Whatever you may think of my commentary, I have expressed opinions and have given praise for doing the right thing, including toward you, on this site. I am glad that you at least take the time to read the postings here, as from your response to my opinion on your "clocked in" local law (did you ever hear of "amendments"?), you seem to be a person who dismisses all public input out of hand.

And, by the way, it's "Big Guy", not "Hanky".

You lead off with: "I'll get you Hanky".

Ok, Points taken.

Wow. Bitter.

Public commentary on proposed legislation is the reason local laws need to age before consideration. But, you would know that if you weren't an apathetic citizen before (and it seems since) your election.

Whatever you may think of my commentary, I have expressed opinions and have given praise for doing the right thing, including toward you, on this site. I am glad that you at least take the time to read the postings here, as from your response to my opinion on your "clocked in" local law (did you ever hear of "amendments"?), you seem to be a person who dismisses all public input out of hand.

And, by the way, it's "Big Guy", not "Hanky".

You lead off with: "I'll get you Hanky".
    "Live and Learn" on the need to have the proper etiquette.

Still; opinions abound, its impossible to appease all. I am not a puppet and have the discretion to progress items as i believe to be in the best interest. We could amend and redraft and reconsider and postulate til time's up.

In the words you have just recently uttered to me "Just Do It" Remember?

What about cost of terms to taxpayers????????

Term limits= Yes 4years=no

I wonder if anyone has researched how upgrading the current terms to four years will change the fringe benefits packages for all those concerned? It seems that what is going to happen is if terms are changed, every person who passes their fifth year of "Service" would then be able to get a state pension benefit plan. Why not show the benefits they are ( or will be) eligible for, along with NEW YORK STATE pensions-- then let the people vote.
    I believe they would and are eligible to choose from what's called " a menu" of benefits. As I understand it they can have any benefit (insurance,health-care and so on.) county employees receive.
    They cry about the working mans wages, then work "part time" and receive executive level benefits for life with just "5 years service."
    The control board froze wages and refuse to negotiate unless employees give something up first- what about the wages and benefits of the Legislators and Control boards?
    Calling it "Term Limits" doesnt hide the truth- it's a "Benefits Grab."

Try floating that by the job starved residents of Erie County!!!!!!!!!

To bad Mohan doesnt live in Lancaster!
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information