Thread: Deer hunting in Amherst should be allowed

Deer hunting in Amherst should be allowed

With the approach of November we are entering prime deer slaughter season in Amherst – slaughter on the highways that is.

The Town of Irondequoit, in Monroe County just outside of Rochester, has had a successful Urban Deer Hunting program for more than a decade. So successful that the bait and shoot program was no longer needed to control the nuisance deer population.

It is time for Amherst to give consideration to a similar program. I’m tired of seeing all the wasted resources scattered along the highway as I drive to my hunting grounds in Niagara county.

Where do the Town candidates stand on this issue?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Without the bait and shoot program your property taxes are lower also. From what i'm told in cheektowaga the bait/shoot is a good overtime money grab by the police station. Those are not my words but what I'm told.

I would only be concerned with the close proximity of most of the deer hangouts to residential areas. I think the possible liability issues for the town would negate the acceptance of a deer-hunt program any time soon. Didn't the Amherst police already shoot through one house?

Quote Originally Posted by Add It Up View Post
    I would only be concerned with the close proximity of most of the deer hangouts to residential areas. I think the possible liability issues for the town would negate the acceptance of a deer-hunt program any time soon. Didn't the Amherst police already shoot through one house?
    Yes, a bullet passed through its intended target, then ricocheted off a rock and ended up hitting a house.

But the Urban Deer Hunt programs are usually limited to bow hunting which itself is much safer than gun hunting.

Hunting is done from specified locations only. The number of hunters is a set by law. A lottery is used to select the hunters. Hunting is generally only allowed Monday through Friday. A separate urban hunter education program has to be completed for all lottery winners before they can participate in the hunt.

And as mentioned by WNY, the police probably get a bunch of overtime to participate in the bait and shoot program. Not only would the town get fees from the program, but they could eliminate the police overtime.

Culling the heard might significantly reduce auto accidents which would also save police resources spent responding to those accidents. Theoretically, it would eventually reduce insurance rates too.

Bow hunting would be better. Since most of the areas in question are "parks," I guess there would have to be notification for residents to stayout. It does sound like a good idea though.

In Irondequoit hunting is allowed from sunrise to 11 am. People are not excluded from the park, just like they aren't excluded from any other state land during hunting season.

The program has been very successful in reducing car-deer collisions from over 400 per year to about 40.

The only people who seem to oppose the program are the PETA and 'Deer Lady" types. What they don't mention in their opposition to hunting is that about 70,000 deer are hit by vehicles each year just in New York State. Many of those that are hit are not killed instantly but end up suffering until they die from their injuries.

While I would like to use my bow in the neighborhood, I just don't trust any other hunters to take the same amount of care and caution that I would.
    There are just too many yahoos out there with Buck fever.

Thread Information