Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Council Candidate Matt Walter

I believe you said your a IP registered voter - did you switch to democrat and when did you switch your enrollment ?

So far it sounds like your open minded - when you ask those close to "Politcs" about such things as the Airstrip run down - remember - as with us here - your getting a slightly slanted position statement.

On the Dem side it will be slanted to protect their actions and positions.

They lied straight out at Town Board Meetings about their involvement - some accepted campaign funds while misleading residents ! You will eventually learn the truth about their actions if you research with a open mind -

Do you feel its OK to misrepresent your actions or voting agenda ?
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

I assure you, I will do my due diligence on the airport issue. Everything I have found (on this site and elsewhere) seems to have a specific slant or agenda one way or the other. I will talk to those involved, those who made the decisions and read up as much as I can to try to get the full picture. It is a complex issue and one that affects a lot of people.

As for Dawn Gaczewski, one of my running mates, thank you for bringing that up! That is an excellent example of hiring qualified people to do the job, IMO. As some one with a wealth of experience dealing with special events (having literally traveled the country doing them with my business for 10 years) I can attest to her competence. The Village of Lancaster events are well run, have more sponsors and involve more of the community than ever. I am not aware of who else applied but after successfully running the events for a number of years, I doubt you could say she wasn't qualified. In the same way I wouldn't hire someone who had some connections but not qualified, I wouldn't exclude someone with excellent experience just because they do. As I stated earlier, we all know each other here in Lancaster and from time to time the perfect person for the job might just be a friend of someone! Should Bill Shroeder have voted for her? Well if we strike his vote, she still gets renewed with enough votes from the rest of the board from what I understand. Maybe a mistake but hardly a federal offense :-)

Matt

Mr Walter,
    Getting back to the airport. The airport has a non-conforming use status which means that it cannot expand more than 25% beyond its original size. Yet, the all Democrat town board had allowed the airport to expand beyond its legal size. An y further expansion should not be allowed.
    Chapter 50 - 31
    (b) Nonconforming use may be enlarged up to 25%, provided that no enlargement shall exceed 25% of the size of the use at the date the use was rendered nonconforming.

Georgia L Schlager

Sir,

I believe you said your a IP registered voter or were - when did you switch to democrat ?

A different perception

Mr. Walter, after reading your posts, as well as Sleazy’s (I mean Breezy), I will present a different perception and reasons why and hope you will present in turn credible reasons why I am I misrepresenting what I believe to be true.

As you claim to be a ‘blank’ so am I and have never voted a straight ticket in a Town of Lancaster election. As others, I was impressed by your bio. As others, I look to vote for the most qualified candidate who will act in the best interest of good governance and community best interest over self-preserving agenda and party direction.

That said, I will comment on some of your posts.

I am sure the political insiders will think I'm nuts for posting here but I believe it's important to know exactly who you are voting for and how they will work for their constituents. We may not always agree but you will know where I stand!
    Indeed the party insiders would think you are nuts for posting on Speakup. With a one term Republican Party town board control exception (1992-96) the Lancaster Democratic Party has had control of the town board and governed and developed this town at their will – appointing like-minded individuals to Planning and Zoning Boards that did their bidding. You’re telling us that a party that eats its young for thinking independently in the past year (Thill) is going to let you run free and independent rings hollow.

Technically, I am registered blank. I just wanted to get that out of the way. I have no history with the democratic party other than knowing a lot of the members since growing up in the community. Come to think of it, I know most of the republicans for the same reason. I typically attend a few town and village board meetings every year. The last few I attended were on behalf of the Lancaster Opera House. Prior to that, I usually attended a few a year if there was an issue that was of interest and I wanted to hear more about. I don't recall ever having been in attendance at the school board, at least not in the last 25 years. What other meetings would you like me to comment on?

As for how I came about getting the endorsement, I'd be happy to go into that as well. Over the last year or so whenever I'd run into local elected officials at social gatherings in the course of the conversation, I'd bring up that politics had always intrigued me and someday I'd love to run for an office as a way to serve the community that has been so good to my family. After Mark Aquino stepped down, I was approached about my interest in being a relatively neutral replacement for his vacated seat. I met with a few local representatives to get a better understanding on the position, what it fully entails and all that goes into that position. I did my due diligence, talking to as many people that I could find that had valuable insight both on the Republican and Democrat side. I met with the Democratic Party's nominating committee and was very forthright with my views and my life's experience that could be put to use for the town's benefit. I guess they liked what they heard and offered me their support to run for a seat instead of just a short term fill in. A week or so later, after more research and discussions with my wife, I agreed to run and here I am.
    Interesting. Aquino and Maciejewski were the original DEMS picks and we all know what took them out of the running – two entrenched party boys that would have been controlled by the DEMS and where the status quo of big government and spending would continue. But you want us to believe that the DEMS are so enthralled with your qualifications that were willing to not fill Aquino’s vacant seat on an interim basis but because they wanted to support you, this ‘neutral candidate at election time. Really, or did they not fill the seat, as is their right, because they have been known to play the ‘incumbent’ game to extremes and where they will still control the town board by a 3-1 margin.

Asked on your stance on the airport expansion you answered in one post:

This one lands clearly in the "I need to learn more" column. I am not as familiar with the Lancaster Airport and the various expansion/tax break/ neighborhood issues as I need to be to give a solid answer. I'll get back to you on this one after I have done more research.
    Then you came back in another post with:

As for the airport, allow me a little latitude to spell out what I have been able to dig up on the matter to make sure I am understanding it correctly? The "New" developments near the Lancaster Airport are concerned about the amount of plane traffic, the safety of everyone involved (on the ground and in the air) and the expansion of the airfield which is translating into more flights/noise. I am also seeing concerns about tax breaks and other government assistance. On the other side of the issue, those who support the airport will point out that it was there long before the homes, they need to expand to remain competitive, their expansion is partly due to overflow safety concerns at the BNIA and ultimately their business represents a service to the community with good paying local jobs.

Did I get all that correct? Did I miss anything?
    And later you posted:

I assure you, I will do my due diligence on the airport issue. Everything I have found (on this site and elsewhere) seems to have a specific slant or agenda one way or the other. I will talk to those involved, those who made the decisions and read up as much as I can to try to get the full picture. It is a complex issue and one that affects a lot of people.
    A specific slant on both sides, really.

The side opposing further airport expansion presented facts on how the expansion violated the 25% expansion condition, where the airport received town resolution approvals to be eligible for expansion funding despite condition violation and the issuance of permits that allowed the airport to receive $15 million in taxpayer money; and three LIDA’S with no job creation under a past administration controlled 100% by DEMS. Do your homework. Go into the Speakup archives and read verbatim what took place at the public hearing on the expansion and the overwhelming opposition to it.

Read up on how Fudoli openly opposed airport expansion during his last campaign and from then on. Read up on how two DEM council members tried unsuccessfully to backdoor approval of the expansion by going to the planning board and attempting to change the ordinance language. Yeah, you will be allowed to act independently when pigs fly.

As for your stance on union contract negotiations, town employees need to have a fair contract settled; a contract that is fair to the taxpayers as well. Are you privy to what is being discussed and bargained at the negotiation meetings? It is my understanding that the unions are reticent in contributing to their health insurance. Would you call that fair bargaining where no town employee now contributes to his or her coverage; generous plans that include dental, vision and low co-pays and that far exceed plans that residents have and are expected to pay for others?

Lastly, explain to a politically cynical guy like me why I should not believe that your endorsement and Sleazy’s vile posts are nothing more than a strategy conspired by the DEMS to play ‘good cop’ and ‘bad cop’. You have become their knight in shining armor and Sleazy is the true vile face of the ‘fear and smear’ Democratic Party political tactics in Lancaster. Has the tiger really changed its spots?

You professed your interest in running for a political position for some time. Did you express that interest to the Republican Party at any time? To other parties? The DEMS just picked you because they wanted a free-thinking, independent candidate. It took a long time for endorsement to come to fruition because the DEMS were bankrupt for credible insider candidates.

This is not to say you should not be considered Mr. Walter. It is to say many of us will question why you chose to represent a party that has been known, even recently, to dominate its players and doesn’t want anyone looking over their shoulder. An independent thinker in the Lancaster Democratic Party, a hard sell Mr. Walter.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post

Matt
    Matt: As Lee has mentioned there is a lot of coverage of the airport issue in past posts of his and others her on Speakup. Many of Lee's posts are an exact transcript of the exchanges at a public meeting (he records them to do this accurately) followed by his comments (labeled as so). In recent years the Planning Board has considered airport requested zoning changes. There are many documents that were submitted to the Planning Board that they reviewed before making their determination. These documents are a good source of detailed information on the issue for you to review if you are serious about doing your homework. After reviewing all of this information the Planning Board voted 6-1 against making the airport requested zoning language change----that should tell you something.

The airport's most recent ploy is covered in Town Board communication #273 which I recommend you read.

Others have provided some comments/information on the airport issue in this thread for you to consider. I would just like to add a few:

1) The airport was a very small hobby airport started in the 1960's. Their standard flight pattern took them to Cemetery Rd. at a high altitude before making the standard left turn. This flight pattern was not a problem for the houses that were present at the time (some date back to the 1800's, aka many were here BEFORE the airport), and the volume of takeoffs and landings was very low.

2) In 2006 the airport changed their standard flight pattern to turning left shortly after Pavement Rd. and typically at a much lower altitude. This created a noise and safety problem for the residents in the Nichter and Westwood Rd area that were there before 2006, and homes built thereafter.

3) In order to address the issue in #2 above, in 2013 the FAA developed a voluntary flight pattern option for the pilots to resume flying to Cemetery Rd. before making their left turn. The pilots almost never use it because it is a little less convenient (unless they plan to continue flying West and need BNIA tower clearance anyway). So a little inconvenience to the pilots for a big gain in safety and noise reduction for the residents is not something that is acceptable to the airport folks, and the FAA can't legally force them to do it.

4) Expanding the airport runway to 5,500 ft length so that much larger aircraft and jets could land there, in addition to greatly increasing the number of residential aircraft there, would be a disaster for Lancaster. Forget about developing the significant amount of remaining land in the area for housing, and the property values of the existing houses would take a big drop. The vast majority of pilots that use the airport don't live in Lancaster, so this hit to Lancaster residents would be for the benefit of outsiders.

5) The Genesee County airport is the more logical place for the pilots to do their "stop and go" practice, not the Lancaster airport. There are too many homes, an too much commercial air traffic close by to make this a good place for that. We have already had too many crashes and deaths out of the Lancaster airport....

Yes. I agree with you Lee. I cannot imagine the Dem Party not keeping control of their interests. Based on past history, I have a hard time believing they would endorse someone that would act on their own behalf.
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't!

Sorry.... Should say "is"......
    Too good to be true....

Lee,

We have met once or twice and I appreciate your input. Thank you for taking the time to respond and share your opinions. Unfortunately, you didn't really ask me any questions but I will try to interject my opinion where applicable.

"You’re telling us that a party that eats its young for thinking independently in the past year (Thill) is going to let you run free and independent rings hollow."

Um, I don't know about eating of their young but yes, I am running free and independent as are my running mates: Dawn, Johanna and Diane. If not, wouldn't they have prohibited me from starting this thread?

But you want us to believe that the DEMS are so enthralled with your qualifications that were willing to not fill Aquino’s vacant seat on an interim basis but because they wanted to support you, this ‘neutral candidate at election time. Really, or did they not fill the seat, as is their right, because they have been known to play the ‘incumbent’ game to extremes and where they will still control the town board by a 3-1 margin.

I had conversations with people from both parties about filling the seat. Everyone seemed to agree that the Dems were in a no win situation: Fill the seat and they are accused of trying to stack the board and run an incumbent. Leave it blank and they are accused of playing games for political gain. As for the motivations of everyone involved, I can't speak for them; I can only give you my side of the story.

You professed your interest in running for a political position for some time. Did you express that interest to the Republican Party at any time? To other parties? The DEMS just picked you because they wanted a free-thinking, independent candidate. It took a long time for endorsement to come to fruition because the DEMS were bankrupt for credible insider candidates.

I have talked to both Republicans and Democrats, as well as other party lines in the past. It's not my place to say why I was chosen by one party and not others. I am overjoyed to represent the Democrats and this new direction many here seem to think they are taking. I am proud of the last 4 budgets they put forth and the way they have served their community. I hope to continue that tradition while bringing some new ideas to the table as well. As for the time it took for the endorsement, I can relay that they interviewed a number of qualified candidates, myself included, and took their time to make sure they had a slate that could win and take the party forward.

As for the airport debate, I am in the process of reading the threads on here, as well as all the newspaper articles I can find. I'll be happy to give you my opinion once I have a solid basis for one. This is the same way I will approach any subject if I am elected.

Thank you all for the questions.

Matt Walter

Matt,

I believe not filling that seat prior to the upcoming elections is a good decision made by the town board. It shows a pragmatic approach, in addition to that the Democrats usually do appoint someone to fill the vacant seat, so typically that person would run as an "incumbent" --good move not to appoint someone IMO.

Regarding your statement that you are proud of the last 4 budgets, do you mean the budgets that Dino proposed or the last four budgets Bob Giza proposed in his reign?

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    Lee,

We have met once or twice and I appreciate your input. Thank you for taking the time to respond and share your opinions. Unfortunately, you didn't really ask me any questions but I will try to interject my opinion where applicable.

"You’re telling us that a party that eats its young for thinking independently in the past year (Thill) is going to let you run free and independent rings hollow."

Um, I don't know about eating of their young but yes, I am running free and independent as are my running mates: Dawn, Johanna and Diane. If not, wouldn't they have prohibited me from starting this thread?

But you want us to believe that the DEMS are so enthralled with your qualifications that were willing to not fill Aquino’s vacant seat on an interim basis but because they wanted to support you, this ‘neutral candidate at election time. Really, or did they not fill the seat, as is their right, because they have been known to play the ‘incumbent’ game to extremes and where they will still control the town board by a 3-1 margin.

I had conversations with people from both parties about filling the seat. Everyone seemed to agree that the Dems were in a no win situation: Fill the seat and they are accused of trying to stack the board and run an incumbent. Leave it blank and they are accused of playing games for political gain. As for the motivations of everyone involved, I can't speak for them; I can only give you my side of the story.

I have talked to both Republicans and Democrats, as well as other party lines in the past. It's not my place to say why I was chosen by one party and not others. I am overjoyed to represent the Democrats and this new direction many here seem to think they are taking. I am proud of the last 4 budgets they put forth and the way they have served their community. I hope to continue that tradition while bringing some new ideas to the table as well. As for the time it took for the endorsement, I can relay that they interviewed a number of qualified candidates, myself included, and took their time to make sure they had a slate that could win and take the party forward.

As for the airport debate, I am in the process of reading the threads on here, as well as all the newspaper articles I can find. I'll be happy to give you my opinion once I have a solid basis for one. This is the same way I will approach any subject if I am elected.

Thank you all for the questions.

Matt Walter
    Thank you for the response.

The following paragraph is the one that is off most interest to me:

Democrats taking a new direction

I would certainly hope so Matt as I have voted for Democrats in the past and have been disappointed with the results. All the issues I named in Post #1 of this thread were related to a 100% Democratic controlled board. That was not to say that the Republican candidates can use them as impact statements but to offer ideas for resolve.

Wanting to take the town in a new direction is taken from the Fudoli playbook. Change is indeed needed.

I am proud of the last 4 budgets they (Democrats) put forth and the way they have served their community
    The last three budget proposals came from Fudoli and all three resulted in minor tax reductions – could have been more but the DEMS reinstated positions and added otherwise to the budget. The previous 13 years of under a 100% Democratic controlled board had tax increases.

Matt, on the one hand you say you are proud of the way the DEMS have served their community and want to continue that tradition and on the other you state, “This new direction many here seem to think they are taking.” Is change in direction about to really happen or is this more political campaign rhetoric? And, who are the many that seem to think that?

It is quite obvious Supervisor Fudoli wants to take the town in another direction and make changes. He can’t do that unless he gains majority control of the board. Unless proven assurance comes from the DEMS that they are willing to make changes and take the town in another direction some of us who don’t vote straight-line party tickets will be inclined to do so.

This is not to say that you are not a deserving candidate, but if you do not impress voters as being the independent candidate you profess yourself to be and assure voters that the party is indeed taking a new direction that could not bode well for you or the party.

It’s a long time and a trying process to Election Day. Good luck.

I haven't been able to stops laughing all day - Thanks Matt !

When I read this line -Matt stated "I am running free and independent as are my running mates: Dawn, Johanna and Diane".
    Notice how he left out their last names !

Trying to pretend Democrat Town Clerk Johanna Coleman is all of a sudden "Independent" is like trying to sell the old piano player defense.

You know that one don't you ? The police raided a house of IL repute - they arrested the madam, the working girls, bar tender and even the piano player !

In court the Judge inquired of the piano player, "Sir, you have been employed there 20 years - what's your story"

The piano player stated, "Sir, I had no idea what was going on - I just play the piano"

She has stead fastly defended her "Elected and Appointed Party Members and their actions for years"
    - she manipulated the transcribing of Town Board minutes for years to slant the record for her Controlling Party fellow Board Members
    - she has interfered with residents who tried to view public documents for years
    - She has financially supported the Dem Committee and its candidates for years and years
    - She was also hand picked by those same people for her present position and her run for Supervisor

So far you have proven to be totally noncommittal to any type change in Governance !

You are using all the same stale campaign lines and distortions your Party has used for years - but you claim to be "Free and Independent" -

You haven't been open or honest about your past history with the Lan Dem Committee.

No one is trying to pull a "Gotcha" - your doing it to your self by trying to act like some Political PolyAnna - one who see's a political culture, a system that features trading of favors, politics based on relationships, politics as a market, and even some forms of corruption - as “moralistic” politics, a form in which officials and party players are high-minded and act for the public good.(some portions plagiarized )

Please - even stead fast Party Line Tax fed voters are doubling over with laughter - REALLY !

When you go door to door - stay in the new subdivisions and use the prime voter list - at least they wont fall over laughing when you try to convince them the Lan Dem Committee has turned over a new leaf - tell them how they chose all three "Political New Comers" because they want to redirect Lancaster - - - Boo Whoo HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And don't forget your rose colored glass's -
    Last edited by 4248; June 1st, 2015 at 09:47 PM.

If anyone were to peruse the posts of the Lancaster threads of political nature, one would see that overwhelmingly they are antidemocratic, including my own.

There are posters who do have open minds that will welcome Mr Walter's responses to their questions. There are others who even if Mr Walter were to say everything they wanted to hear would twist those words to mean something else just because Mr Walter has a (D) after his name.

As a poster and a viewer of speakup, Mr Walter had to be aware of the anti-democratic air to the Lancaster threads. Yet, he put himself up for the inquiry. I truly respect that as there are 3 other council candidates who haven't faced any inquiry and 2 of those candidates are of the party of the Lancaster posters.

Thanks again Mr Walter

Georgia L Schlager

Gorja,

I was aware of the anti-democratic leanings of this message board before starting this thread but unfortunately, it is the only message board for talking local politics... so here I am.

I put myself up for inquiry because I feel it is the candidate's duty to let the voters know who they are voting for. In many ways, I agree with my opposition. I want to see taxes kept low, find ways to reduce expenses and improve efficiency. Looking at my career, that is exactly what I have done at numerous businesses (obviously replace taxes with prices :-).

The voters don't have to agree with everything I believe, but they will have the opportunity to hear it directly from me. And they can base their decision on my own words, not a letter after my name.

I am glad I can help you find some humor in my posts, intentional or not. "Free and Independent" means that no one is telling us what to post, say or (if I should be elected) how to vote. Johanna, Diane, Dawn and I have all be assured that this will the case going forward. You can assume something different but you know what Mom always said what happens when you assume....

I'll be happy to continue answering questions regarding my campaign anytime. As for my rose colored glasses, I'll wholly admit to looking for the best in people. I believe that the bickering and name calling at board meetings should be stopped and compromises need to made to make progress on challenges facing our community in a more positive way. I have had long conversations with all three of my running mates and I am confident in their character, love for this town and ability to move us forward in a positive direction. You can chose to disagree and that's perfectly fine too.

If anyone would like to follow my campaign closer, feel free to like my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MattforLancaster

Thanks,

Matt Walter

Originally posted by MaddMatt:
    Gorja,

I was aware of the anti-democratic leanings of this message board before starting this thread but unfortunately, it is the only message board for talking local politics... so here I am.

I put myself up for inquiry because I feel it is the candidate's duty to let the voters know who they are voting for. In many ways, I agree with my opposition. I want to see taxes kept low, find ways to reduce expenses and improve efficiency. Looking at my career, that is exactly what I have done at numerous businesses (obviously replace taxes with prices :-).

The voters don't have to agree with everything I believe, but they will have the opportunity to hear it directly from me. And they can base their decision on my own words, not a letter after my name.
    Thanks for having the courage and the confidence to bear the critique. The others haven't.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information