Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Council Candidate Matt Walter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Town Council Candidate Matt Walter

Wednesday night, I had the great pleasure and honor to be awarded the Democratic nomination for Lancaster Town Council. As the current council have taken quite their fair share of arrows from this forum, I figured I would take some time to open up a conversation about my run and what I can bring to the table to the toughest critics.

First a little about me. I am a Lancaster kid, born and raised on Cotton St in the Village. I have owned homes in both the town and the village where my wife, 2 young children and I currently reside. I attended Our Lady of Pompeii Elementary School, St Mary's High School and Buffalo State College. Since graduating, I have worked in a number of industries with the common denominators being my tireless work ethic, finding creative solutions and always expressing a willingness to learn. 15 Years ago, I started a company called Madd Matt's Entertainment whose goal was to take a "Dave and Buster's" type experience and make it completely portable. I grew that company over 10 years, travelling all over the country before selling it in July of 2010. I enjoyed a wonderful summer with my two boys and planned on taking my time finding my next opportunity. However, as the summer finished up and the boys went back to school, I found I was just not wired to relax and kick back. I went to work with Oogie Games a few weeks later, first as a consultant and then as COO. I am proud to help lead this team of 45+ employees and 6 stores to the incredible growth we've experienced in less than 5 years. Last year, I took on an additional role as Managing Director of the Lancaster Opera House which has been near and dear to me since my childhood. After one season, I am transitioning to the LOH Board where I can volunteer my time and help save some money from the budget yet continue to be involved in keeping our local treasure viable for years to come. In addition to the LOH board, I have served on a number of other non-profit, corporate and educational volunteer boards both locally and regionally.

I am hoping to utilize my experience to help guide our town council. I fully understand the hard work that is required and intend to give it everything I've got. I don't claim to know the inner workings of every challenge Lancaster is facing but I can promise to do the research to find the best solutions possible to the challenges we face. Rather than lay out my opinions on anything and everything under the sun right now, I'll turn to the forum posters to continue the conversation...go ahead and ask away!

I am sure the political insiders will think I'm nuts for posting here but I believe it's important to know exactly who you are voting for and how they will work for their constituents. We may not always agree but you will know where I stand!

Thank you!

Matthew J Walter

Best of luck Mr. Walter,

Thick skinned indefatigability will be a must...

I wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by skoorbekim View Post
    Best of luck Mr. Walter,

Thick skinned indefatigability will be a must...

I wish you well.
    Thanks for the well wishes.... I will have to work on the thick skin and I have a good supply of Mt Dew for the energy :-)

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    All that sugar isn't good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    All that sugar isn't good for you.
    You catch more flies with poop than you do with sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    You catch more flies with poop than you do with sugar.
    https://youtu.be/eVKWdqiEn2g

I haven't been able to stops laughing all day - Thanks Matt !

When I read this line -Matt stated "I am running free and independent as are my running mates: Dawn, Johanna and Diane".
    Notice how he left out their last names !

Trying to pretend Democrat Town Clerk Johanna Coleman is all of a sudden "Independent" is like trying to sell the old piano player defense.

You know that one don't you ? The police raided a house of IL repute - they arrested the madam, the working girls, bar tender and even the piano player !

In court the Judge inquired of the piano player, "Sir, you have been employed there 20 years - what's your story"

The piano player stated, "Sir, I had no idea what was going on - I just play the piano"

She has stead fastly defended her "Elected and Appointed Party Members and their actions for years"
    - she manipulated the transcribing of Town Board minutes for years to slant the record for her Controlling Party fellow Board Members
    - she has interfered with residents who tried to view public documents for years
    - She has financially supported the Dem Committee and its candidates for years and years
    - She was also hand picked by those same people for her present position and her run for Supervisor

So far you have proven to be totally noncommittal to any type change in Governance !

You are using all the same stale campaign lines and distortions your Party has used for years - but you claim to be "Free and Independent" -

You haven't been open or honest about your past history with the Lan Dem Committee.

No one is trying to pull a "Gotcha" - your doing it to your self by trying to act like some Political PolyAnna - one who see's a political culture, a system that features trading of favors, politics based on relationships, politics as a market, and even some forms of corruption - as “moralistic” politics, a form in which officials and party players are high-minded and act for the public good.(some portions plagiarized )

Please - even stead fast Party Line Tax fed voters are doubling over with laughter - REALLY !

When you go door to door - stay in the new subdivisions and use the prime voter list - at least they wont fall over laughing when you try to convince them the Lan Dem Committee has turned over a new leaf - tell them how they chose all three "Political New Comers" because they want to redirect Lancaster - - - Boo Whoo HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And don't forget your rose colored glass's -
    Last edited by 4248; June 1st, 2015 at 09:47 PM.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

If anyone were to peruse the posts of the Lancaster threads of political nature, one would see that overwhelmingly they are antidemocratic, including my own.

There are posters who do have open minds that will welcome Mr Walter's responses to their questions. There are others who even if Mr Walter were to say everything they wanted to hear would twist those words to mean something else just because Mr Walter has a (D) after his name.

As a poster and a viewer of speakup, Mr Walter had to be aware of the anti-democratic air to the Lancaster threads. Yet, he put himself up for the inquiry. I truly respect that as there are 3 other council candidates who haven't faced any inquiry and 2 of those candidates are of the party of the Lancaster posters.

Thanks again Mr Walter

Georgia L Schlager

Gorja,

I was aware of the anti-democratic leanings of this message board before starting this thread but unfortunately, it is the only message board for talking local politics... so here I am.

I put myself up for inquiry because I feel it is the candidate's duty to let the voters know who they are voting for. In many ways, I agree with my opposition. I want to see taxes kept low, find ways to reduce expenses and improve efficiency. Looking at my career, that is exactly what I have done at numerous businesses (obviously replace taxes with prices :-).

The voters don't have to agree with everything I believe, but they will have the opportunity to hear it directly from me. And they can base their decision on my own words, not a letter after my name.

I am glad I can help you find some humor in my posts, intentional or not. "Free and Independent" means that no one is telling us what to post, say or (if I should be elected) how to vote. Johanna, Diane, Dawn and I have all be assured that this will the case going forward. You can assume something different but you know what Mom always said what happens when you assume....

I'll be happy to continue answering questions regarding my campaign anytime. As for my rose colored glasses, I'll wholly admit to looking for the best in people. I believe that the bickering and name calling at board meetings should be stopped and compromises need to made to make progress on challenges facing our community in a more positive way. I have had long conversations with all three of my running mates and I am confident in their character, love for this town and ability to move us forward in a positive direction. You can chose to disagree and that's perfectly fine too.

If anyone would like to follow my campaign closer, feel free to like my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MattforLancaster

Thanks,

Matt Walter

Originally posted by MaddMatt:
    Gorja,

I was aware of the anti-democratic leanings of this message board before starting this thread but unfortunately, it is the only message board for talking local politics... so here I am.

I put myself up for inquiry because I feel it is the candidate's duty to let the voters know who they are voting for. In many ways, I agree with my opposition. I want to see taxes kept low, find ways to reduce expenses and improve efficiency. Looking at my career, that is exactly what I have done at numerous businesses (obviously replace taxes with prices :-).

The voters don't have to agree with everything I believe, but they will have the opportunity to hear it directly from me. And they can base their decision on my own words, not a letter after my name.
    Thanks for having the courage and the confidence to bear the critique. The others haven't.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    Gorja,

I am glad I can help you find some humor in my posts, intentional or not. "Free and Independent" means that no one is telling us what to post, say or (if I should be elected) how to vote. Johanna, Diane, Dawn and I have all be assured that this will the case going forward. You can assume something different but you know what Mom always said what happens when you assume....

I'll be happy to continue answering questions regarding my campaign anytime. As for my rose colored glasses, I'll wholly admit to looking for the best in people. I believe that the bickering and name calling at board meetings should be stopped and compromises need to made to make progress on challenges facing our community in a more positive way. I have had long conversations with all three of my running mates and I am confident in their character, love for this town and ability to move us forward in a positive direction. You can chose to disagree and that's perfectly fine too.

If anyone would like to follow my campaign closer, feel free to like my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MattforLancaster

Thanks,

Matt Walter
    Matt,

It appears that you are stating that you are proud of the budget the Democrats have put out. Here is a break down from 2005 - 2011 Lancaster Town Property Taxes under Bob Giza's reign:

2011 up 10.4%
    2010 up 3.0%
    2009 up 4.1%
    2008 up 4.4%
    2007 up 2.3%
    2006 up 9.7%
    2005 up 8.5%

Lancaster taxes (town) have risen 51% since 2005. While Fudoli has been in office he has maintained the line on taxes, taken a pay cut and have not given the council members a raise. But under Giza's reign, every year was a pay increase. This is not a record to find pride in. To vote all Democrats, it means to vote in pay raises-which calculates in tax increase.

Since you do not seem to answer or comment on my posts it must mean that you can't.

What's your position with the Verizon cell tower, to waive or not to waive, that is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Wehner View Post
    What's your position with the Verizon cell tower, to waive or not to waive, that is the question.
    I'm sorry but I am not aware of the Verizon cell tower issue. A quick google search is turning up articles regarding Amherst. Is this a height issue or a placement issue or both?

thanks

Matt Walter

Matt,

I asked before if you could name some companies you worked for - I believe you named two !

Yet now you say, " I have extensive experience in HR, payroll, budgeting, accounting, marketing and all day to day operations of numerous million dollar companies." -

I don't want to misrepresent what your trying to say/imply with this statement !

Can you explain - a person could take that statement many ways
    - are you saying you work for/with or help "numerous million dollar companies"
    - in such areas as "HR, payroll, budgeting, accounting, marketing and all day to day operations"

Please clarify in what ways you do these things - and for who ?

I don't believe "Quoting you" or pointing out your lack of direct "yes and No - Why" answers is misleading or misquoting you - please explain why you feel that way -

Getting a bit paranoid or just being overly cautioned by your advisers ?

Thanks
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-walter/14/783/239

Matthew Walter

COO Oogie Games Inc

Buffalo/Niagara, New York Area
    Management Consulting

Background

Experience

Trustee

St. Mary's High School, Lancaster NY

– Present (3 years)142 Laverack Ave. Lancaster NY

COO

Oogie Games

– Present (4 years 9 months)Depew, NYOogie Games is proud to be WNY's only locally owned source for everything video games. From Atari to the latest generation, Oogie Games supports them all. In addition, we offer full repair service on all handheld and home gaming consoles as well as private party rooms to help celebrate any occasion from birthday and bachelor parties to an interoffice grudge match.

President

Matthew J Walter Consulting

– Present (5 years)Matthew J Walter Consulting provides over 20 years of real world business experience spanning numerous industries ranging from entertainment, retail, human resources, Creative Problem Solving, and restaurant management. As a former President and CEO, I can provide unrivaled personal insight and advice on topics ranging from marketing, executive leadership, new product development, service and product expansion, day to day operations and much more.

Chairman of the Board

Lancaster Youth Bureau Foundation

– Present (5 years 9 months)Town of Lancaster, NY

Board Member - Secretary

Lancaster Community Development Corp

– Present (5 years 10 months)Village of Lancaster, NY

Managing Director

Lancaster Opera House

(1 year 1 month)Lancaster, NY

Founder/Owner

Madd Matt's Entertainment

(10 years 9 months)Buffalo/Niagara, New York Area