Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Council Candidate Matt Walter

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    Gorja,

I was aware of the anti-democratic leanings of this message board before starting this thread but unfortunately, it is the only message board for talking local politics... so here I am.

I put myself up for inquiry because I feel it is the candidate's duty to let the voters know who they are voting for. In many ways, I agree with my opposition. I want to see taxes kept low, find ways to reduce expenses and improve efficiency. Looking at my career, that is exactly what I have done at numerous businesses (obviously replace taxes with prices :-).

The voters don't have to agree with everything I believe, but they will have the opportunity to hear it directly from me. And they can base their decision on my own words, not a letter after my name.

I am glad I can help you find some humor in my posts, intentional or not. "Free and Independent" means that no one is telling us what to post, say or (if I should be elected) how to vote. Johanna, Diane, Dawn and I have all be assured that this will the case going forward. You can assume something different but you know what Mom always said what happens when you assume....

I'll be happy to continue answering questions regarding my campaign anytime. As for my rose colored glasses, I'll wholly admit to looking for the best in people. I believe that the bickering and name calling at board meetings should be stopped and compromises need to made to make progress on challenges facing our community in a more positive way. I have had long conversations with all three of my running mates and I am confident in their character, love for this town and ability to move us forward in a positive direction. You can chose to disagree and that's perfectly fine too.

If anyone would like to follow my campaign closer, feel free to like my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MattforLancaster

Thanks,

Matt Walter
    Matt,

It appears that you are stating that you are proud of the budget the Democrats have put out. Here is a break down from 2005 - 2011 Lancaster Town Property Taxes under Bob Giza's reign:

2011 up 10.4%
    2010 up 3.0%
    2009 up 4.1%
    2008 up 4.4%
    2007 up 2.3%
    2006 up 9.7%
    2005 up 8.5%

Lancaster taxes (town) have risen 51% since 2005. While Fudoli has been in office he has maintained the line on taxes, taken a pay cut and have not given the council members a raise. But under Giza's reign, every year was a pay increase. This is not a record to find pride in. To vote all Democrats, it means to vote in pay raises-which calculates in tax increase.

Since you do not seem to answer or comment on my posts it must mean that you can't.

In my opinion, the 2015 budget was the Democrats as the lone Republican voted "no"

Georgia L Schlager

I too appreciate your engagement here Matt - truly !

I can see why your the one posting on behalf of your Lan Dem Group !

Lets look at the "Town Hall Clan" led by Town Clerk Johanna Coleman :

- Town Clerk Coleman has helped end peoples careers for no other reason than "Politics"

- how could you possibly believe they are Politically "Free and Independent" when their family/adult lives have been spent serving the Party ?

- When they have a tax funded position afforded them through "Political Hiring/Appointment" ? ! ?

- When financially they are beholden to the "Party and Party Line Voters"

So far your posts are very nice, carefully worded and completely unissue oriented - always noncommittal yet "Promising" - Vanilla !

The only true support you exposed is support for what the controlling members have done - if it could be perceived as good.

Here's a easy one - should seasonal summer jobs be open to all residents ? Yes or No - why ?

Should their be a limit on the number of times one youth can be rehired ? Yes or NO - Why ?
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

When did Mr Walter state that he was posting for the whole Lancaster Dem group? My impression was that he was posting on behalf of himself. Most people really can't speak for someone else

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    When did Mr Walter state that he was posting for the whole Lancaster Dem group? My impression was that he was posting on behalf of himself. Most people really can't speak for someone else
    Matt stated "I am running free and independent as are my running mates: Dawn, Johanna and Diane".

He is the only one of a group of Lan Dem Committee endorsed candidates posting here - isn't that true ?

He says - we - us and such - isn't he a part of the "Group" ? He never said he's "Running Independent of Dawn, Johanna and Diane" did he ?

Safe to assume he speaks for those who endorsed him - wouldn't you agree ?

Safe to assume he has a agenda that his running mates share - isn't that how it works ?

Safe to believe the Lan Dems don't endorse people to help their competitors - wouldn't that be fair to say ?

So whats your point - looks like a duck - quacks like a duck - its a duck !

The broad brush has already been used to paint the Republicans as one group - why are the Lan Dems different ?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Matt stated "I am running free and independent as are my running mates: Dawn, Johanna and Diane".

He is the only one of a group of Lan Dem Committee endorsed candidates posting here - isn't that true ?

He says - we - us and such - isn't he a part of the "Group" ? He never said he's "Running Independent of Dawn, Johanna and Diane" did he ?

Safe to assume he speaks for those who endorsed him - wouldn't you agree ?

Safe to assume he has a agenda that his running mates share - isn't that how it works ?

Safe to believe the Lan Dems don't endorse people to help their competitors - wouldn't that be fair to say ?

So whats your point - looks like a duck - quacks like a duck - its a duck !

The broad brush has already been used to paint the Republicans as one group - why are the Lan Dems different ?
    Okay, I get your point. But NO REPUBLICAN candidate has posted at all. And I don't broad brush either party. There's sinful people in both parties. There are remarkable people in both parties.

Georgia L Schlager

Mr Walter,

Are you running as a team or as an individual?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Mr Walter,

Are you running as a team or as an individual?
    I phrased that wrong.
    It should be -
    are you speaking for a team or for an individual?

Georgia L Schlager

Personally, I agree - there is good and bad in every group.

Politicians to me are those who have already drank the Party Cool Aid !

I also believe a person can be naïve enough to not see the bigger picture ! These few and far between people actually believe they are different or that they alone can change the "Group Mindset" ! They them selves may have good intentions - but no matter what they believe they are "Part of a bigger whole" !

Some times they are allowed in to support the other players. They have the enthusiasm and finance to help carry the group. Their energy/money will be used to carry the Party banner - the fliers - hand cards and so on ! Often they find themselves out on there own - door to door - day after day.

Please don't pretend that there is even a slim chance anyone of these candidates has a unalterable agenda or plan.

Personally it doesn't matter to me what candidates do or don't post here ! They will all for the most part avoid open dialog on this public forum. They know they will be challenged - they know things like personal finance - life style - business interests and even their personal life's will be open to anonymous attacks !

Matt bravely tried to appear open - he quickly found he will be challenged. I don't believe he has been "Attacked" - he is being questioned on issues and agendas he should be aware of.

So far - nothing has been said in a personal slanderous manner - jet some are already acting as if he was.

Republicans are already being shredded here - so why would they get involved.

The minute they step out the Breezy type Dems will attack - mostly on a personal level ! If you wish to meet with them - call them - talk directly with them -

Or just throw hand grenades and then abuse them for not responding. No matter what Party we speak of - the Clowns are waiting in the wings.

Personally I try to state past examples of incumbents party driven actions and a factual/historical view of the tax consequences. I don't believe I have gotten into their "Private life's" - although they have no trouble exploiting the personal lives of their enemies ( = anyone who challenges them Politically).

I haven't seen or read a "Agenda statement, platform or stated planks for one" - not from any Candidate or Group.

Shortstuff,

It was never my intention to ignore your last post. Mistakes happen on a busy thread. Since I work a full time job in addition to a family and a campaign, I try to limit my time on this thread to once a day and there always exists the possibility that I might miss a small post from time to time. Thank you for asking your question again and I am happy to answer it below.

The last 4 budgets passed with lower taxes by the Democrats. From my understanding, Mr Fudoli proposed a good first draft and after some back and forth they were passed without his vote. I don't believe Mr Fudoli has voted for a budget since he has been in office. Could previous budgets prior to Mr Fudoli's election have been better? Possibly, I haven't gone back to look at the finances of 5 years ago yet. And while I appreciate that taxes have not been increased, I also want to make sure we are not spending down our surplus and borrowing more than we should. That's a short term solution with long tern effects that could be disastrous after the current council and supervisor are out of office.

As I have said before, I like the ideals that Mr Fudoli brings to the table but working in government means that compromises need to be made to move the issues forward. Whether it involves budgets, town employee contracts or anything else, if we don't find neutral ground to agree on then progress can't happen.

Thanks as always for your comments. I appreciate hearing your opinions.

Matt Walter

All:

The democratic ticket is a unified one but allow me to clarify that I am here posting my opinions. As President Reagan's popular big tent analogy applies here. We are all individuals with our own experiences but we stand under a big tent together. We are all dedicated to improving the town and settling long standing issues that seem to drag on. As the rookie with rose colored glasses, I don't believe I should be the one to speak for anyone other than myself but I am proud to say that I have been given that freedom by the Democratic party to speak my mind and inform voters.

Thanks

Matt Walter

Matt ,

I know you said you don't like "Absolutes" and that's why you haven't stated one yet - but try this :

Here's a easy one - should seasonal summer jobs be open to all residents ? Yes or No - why ?

Should their be a limit on the number of times one youth can be rehired ? Yes or NO - Why ?

Originally posted by 4248:

As a resident taxpayer, I would say "Yes" seasonal job should be open to all residents. The most qualified should get the job. I'd say there should be no limit on the number of times a youth is rehired. If the youth showed up for work their scheduled days and worked hard, why take a chance on unknown when you know you have a quality employee?
    A seasonal employee should NOT be hired because of who they know but that they are the best fit for the job.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    Shortstuff,

It was never my intention to ignore your last post. Mistakes happen on a busy thread. Since I work a full time job in addition to a family and a campaign, I try to limit my time on this thread to once a day and there always exists the possibility that I might miss a small post from time to time. Thank you for asking your question again and I am happy to answer it below.

The last 4 budgets passed with lower taxes by the Democrats. From my understanding, Mr Fudoli proposed a good first draft and after some back and forth they were passed without his vote. I don't believe Mr Fudoli has voted for a budget since he has been in office. Could previous budgets prior to Mr Fudoli's election have been better? Possibly, I haven't gone back to look at the finances of 5 years ago yet. And while I appreciate that taxes have not been increased, I also want to make sure we are not spending down our surplus and borrowing more than we should. That's a short term solution with long tern effects that could be disastrous after the current council and supervisor are out of office.

As I have said before, I like the ideals that Mr Fudoli brings to the table but working in government means that compromises need to be made to move the issues forward. Whether it involves budgets, town employee contracts or anything else, if we don't find neutral ground to agree on then progress can't happen.

Thanks as always for your comments. I appreciate hearing your opinions.

Matt Walter
    Since taking office in 2012, as budget director Fudoli has proposed three budgets.

He voted ‘no’ on budgets 1 & 3. He voted ‘no’ because of what the four Democratic council members added spending back into his tentative budgets. They were not budget additions he felt were appropriate and/or needed. He also knew that the resolutions would pass because the DEMS favored the final budget proposal and had the majority votes. His was but a protest vote that indicated he opposed the budget modification additions that would increase the tax rate.

Fudoli voted ‘yes’ to budget #2 as he and the council members reached compromise.

So Matt, your research and statements are incorrect. Hope your research is not being influenced by those who seek to discredit Fudoli and will put a different spin on how things really were.

That's all true, Mr Walter. The Dems budget tax rate was $.02 more per thousand than the Supervisors. A better savings could have been had if the Dems along with their cuts would have included the supervisor's cuts also. An example - Eliminate a FT employee in the clerk's office and replace with a PT employee. We could have had the best of both worlds if the Dems would have removed the waste in the clerk's office

Georgia L Schlager

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information