Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Council Candidate Matt Walter

thanks for the few days off, I'm ready for more questions!

If you don't mind - what Consulting firm ?

It was a small firm in Amherst called the Creative Problem Solving Group Buffalo. I worked as the special assistant to the President doing a lot of behind the scenes work; everything from crunching data, logistical support and occasionally leading small groups in the Creative Problem Solving process.

Given the current rate of development - what's your long term concerns and what new restrictions would you like to see implemented and enforced to slow the over building and save some "Usable green space"?

I would fully support adding more green space requirements for future developments. This is common in other parts of the country where a certain amount of park area is set aside based on each home being planned.At the same time, we need to ensure that we aren't creating more costs down the road in regard to upkeep issues. As for long term concerns, they all center around infrastructure. Both the roads and the sewer/water lines that feed the new developments need to be examined to make sure they can handle the future development.

If you found the County had some responsibility - would you present a resolution to request the County under go a remediation program ? Yes or No - Why ?

Am I missing something here? As a homeowner, if I am doing something that negatively impacts my neighbors, I would be required to fix it. No matter who the landowner is, if they are not taking care of their property or "improvements" they have made are causing issues with neighboring properties, it should be taken care of. So, YES, I would support working with the county to get this fixed if they have jurisdiction.

If FEMA offered a program where the Feds would devote time and money to fix the creek - would you sponsor a resolution for Lancaster to commit funds to help finance the project - Yes or No - Why ?

I would want to seek out any funding to help get the problem fixed. This goes for any challenges we are facing: if there are alternative programs available to supplement funding and reduce our financial overhead, I'd look into it.

What tax funded hourly employees do you feel should be able to use a Town vehicle to go home for lunch - Why ?

I hate dealing in hypotheticals but since you are forcing me, here goes! I can imagine that someone on call should be able to use their town vehicle to stop for lunch while they are on shift since they may need to cut the meal short for a call. Ultimately, let's use common sense and realize that more time could be wasted having employees drive back to the garage to swap vehicles than just to stop at a nearby diner for a quick bite. Now if the practice is abused, then the proper supervisors will need to address it. At the end of the day, these town employees are also town residents and taxpayers too and have a stake in it's financial well being. I've talked to a few police officers and highway department workers and get the impression that they are hard working and deserve all the respect any other private sector employee would get.

Would you list the non-profits boards you sit on at present and do you receive compensation/benefits for your participation?

All of the boards I currently serve on are volunteer and I receive no benefits or compensation. I proudly serve as President for the Lancaster Youth Foundation (till my term expires in a month), as Secretary of the Lancaster CDC, Finance committee at Our Lady of Pompeii Church and Trustee at St Mary's High School

So we can assume if elected - you will complete and file with the Town Clerk - prior to your first Town Board Meeting - a complete financial disclosure form and it will be available for public viewing upon request ?

I feel as though you are trying to set me up with some of kind of gotcha moment with some of these questions but the easy answer is that I will complete and file whatever financial disclosures are required for the position and would strongly encourage all of my fellow board members to do the same.

Thanks again for the questions, and keep them coming!

Matt

Great questions and great answers.
    Mr Walter, just an FYI, all elected officials have to file a financial disclosure form within 30 days after being elected and before April 30 every year there after.

Georgia L Schlager

[QUOTE=MaddMatt;1542357]I'm ready for more questions!

Do you agree or disagree - all tax funded town employees like those in Town Hall, Parks and Recreation as well as Highway Department should punch in at the beginning of each work day and out at the end of each work day ? - yes/no - why ?
    ----------------------------

"As for long term concerns, they all center around infrastructure. Both the roads and the sewer/water lines that feed the new developments need to be examined to make sure they can handle the future development".

So your main infra structure concern is that it be "examined to make sure they can handle the future development" - what about making sure the older roads, water lines and sewage being updated for the older neighborhoods ? Its seems most updates or improvement are just that - to feed the new subdivisions !
    -----------------------------

If you found the County had some responsibility - would you present a resolution to request the County under go a remediation program ? Yes or No - Why ?

Am I missing something here? As a homeowner, if I am doing something that negatively impacts my neighbors, I would be required to fix it. No matter who the landowner is, if they are not taking care of their property or "improvements" they have made are causing issues with neighboring properties, it should be taken care of. So, YES, I would support working with the county to get this fixed if they have jurisdiction.

The question was, "If you found the County had some responsibility - would you present a resolution to request the County under go a remediation program ? Yes or No - Why ?
    -----------------------------

If FEMA offered a program where the Feds would devote time and money to fix the creek - would you sponsor a resolution for Lancaster to commit funds to help finance the project - Yes or No - Why ?

I would want to seek out any funding to help get the problem fixed. This goes for any challenges we are facing: if there are alternative programs available to supplement funding and reduce our financial overhead, I'd look into it.

You might start with the agreement I believe was entered into between the County and the Town of Lancaster in 1954/56. They actually moved Ellicott Creek to where its flows now - between pavement and Harris Hill. We were told by the past Supervisor it was the Counties responsibility. We were also told by the board that rare birds feed there so nothing could be changed.

While refusing to clear the creek for those reasons - for the sake of further development - Cross Creeks - they bug up the south bank and buried a sewer line in the creek bead.

I realize your cautious of committing to sponsoring resolutions or hesitant to make a promise of actions - its hard seeing as how you haven't been elected yet !

I am only asking "If elected" - would you agree to sponsor resolutions or only agree to "Look into things"

No hidden gotcha's - just straight forward questions/requests. Its obvious you predecessors haven't done these things or actually refused to - how are you going to be different ?

Are you going to be more responsive to home owning taxpayers or compliant to Party Agenda's ? That is the question ?
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

4248:

I'll try to answer to the best of my ability but the quotes were getting tricky to navigate....

- Ok, for the punch in/out issue. I have run a few companies in the past 15 years and I can tell you that micromanaging is the worst trap you can fall into. So I won't be offering any resolutions to make sure everyone punches in and out. I will however work with the departments to ensure that we are being as efficient as possible within the parameters of the job and contract. I will look to the supervisors to ensure that good practices are in place that give the town the best bang for our buck when it comes to staffing and hold them accountable if we aren't doing everything we can to work efficiently. I haven't heard or seen anything that would point to widespread abuse being the case but if that information should surface, I would approach those department heads and help them find solutions.

- I had to re-read my comments on infrastructure to see if I screwed something up. I guess the interpretation of new development is where I went wrong. To me as a life long Lancaster resident, anything built post 1990 is a new development :-). While we can't undo development, we do need to ensure that our infrastructure can handle the needs we currently have as well as future "new" developments.

- Creek resolutions.... If a resolution gets the job done then I'll be happy to put one forward. However, I tend to lean towards the practice of making calls, meeting face to face, figuring out solutions and shaking hands in agreement. I think that is how we can get things fixed in a more civil manner, rather than grand resolutions in a board room for the sake of publicity.

- Ah, Party Agendas. I can put that to rest right now. When I met with the Democratic team, we disposed of that one quickly. While I will (hopefully) represent the Dems on the council, I will make decisions based on my experience and what I feel is the best way to proceed. I have learned that good ideas come from many places and need to be supported or not based on their merits, not on who brought them up. Often times, local politics becomes an us vs them exercise instead of working together the best we can to move things forward. I share many of the same goals of those running against us; smaller government, more transparency and smart progress. How we get there is the difference. I admire high ideals but realistically, compromises need to be made in order to affect meaningful change for our constituents.

Thanks for the questions and for keeping thing civil. We may not always agree but I want you to know where I stand.

Matt

I think that it is refreshing to have a candidate like Mr Walter answer the questions posed to him on this forum. I, especially like that he is a free thinker. His thoughts and actions aren't necessarily in line with his party.

Georgia L Schlager

Based on what - ? I am cynical - but - so far I read, "I would look at this - I would talk about that" and we need to insure infra structure so we can practice "Smart Growth" -

Not saying he doesn't respond - just his responses so far have no difinatives - nor any true commitment of purpose.

You could say he "sounds OK" - What's his history with the Lan Dem Committee - How many Town Board Meetings has he attended - school board and so on. They don't just pull a rabbit out of a hat !

Unlike the Republican candidates who have already been subjected to personal attacks and business scrutiny - we know little about this person.

You don't get selected by the Lan Dem Committee in one visit - not in one conversation. If they didn't feel he would carry their banner and support their agenda - one does not get interviewed and selected.

You cant honestly believe its as simple as he asked for the endorsement and received it - Really ?

Good luck Matt for as fun as 4248 is you will never answer right or enough .

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Based on what - ? I am cynical - but - so far I read, "I would look at this - I would talk about that" and we need to insure infra structure so we can practice "Smart Growth" -

Not saying he doesn't respond - just his responses so far have no difinatives - nor any true commitment of purpose.

You could say he "sounds OK" - What's his history with the Lan Dem Committee - How many Town Board Meetings has he attended - school board and so on. They don't just pull a rabbit out of a hat !

Unlike the Republican candidates who have already been subjected to personal attacks and business scrutiny - we know little about this person.

You don't get selected by the Lan Dem Committee in one visit - not in one conversation. If they didn't feel he would carry their banner and support their agenda - one does not get interviewed and selected.

You cant honestly believe its as simple as he asked for the endorsement and received it - Really ?
    So you would prefer definitives like his opponent Brainard who in his election against Amatura stated that he could instantly lower the highway budget with no explanation.

Then, there's the honesty thing.
    From his last election -
    Internal Revenue Service records show that Brainard on April 20, 2011, satisfied $271,624 in federal tax liens dating to Oct. 15, 2010. Asked about the debt, Brainard at first said there had been no tax lien against him.

Looks like Loose lips Brainard out right LIED.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post

What's his history with the Lan Dem Committee - How many Town Board Meetings has he attended - school board and so on.

I realize I wasn't asked these questions directly but I figured they were questions that should be answered on a thread about me so here goes!

Technically, I am registered blank. I just wanted to get that out of the way. I have no history with the democratic party other than knowing a lot of the members since growing up in the community. Come to think of it, I know most of the republicans for the same reason. I typically attend a few town and village board meetings every year. The last few I attended were on behalf of the Lancaster Opera House. Prior to that, I usually attended a few a year if there was an issue that was of interest and I wanted to hear more about. I don't recall ever having been in attendance at the school board, at least not in the last 25 years. What other meetings would you like me to comment on?

As for how I came about getting the endorsement, I'd be happy to go into that as well. Over the last year or so whenever I'd run into local elected officials at social gatherings in the course of the conversation, I'd bring up that politics had always intrigued me and someday I'd love to run for an office as a way to serve the community that has been so good to my family. After Mark Aquino stepped down, I was approached about my interest in being a relatively neutral replacement for his vacated seat. I met with a few local representatives to get a better understanding on the position, what it fully entails and all that goes into that position. I did my due diligence, talking to as many people that I could find that had valuable insight both on the Republican and Democrat side. I met with the Democratic Party's nominating committee and was very forthright with my views and my life's experience that could be put to use for the town's benefit. I guess they liked what they heard and offered me their support to run for a seat instead of just a short term fill in. A week or so later, after more research and discussions with my wife, I agreed to run and here I am.

I know it's hard to comprehend that there are people who would volunteer their time and energy to better their community without some devious subtext lurking beneath the surface. As the youngest of a large family, I was fortunate to have spent a lot of time standing by my Dad and watching him give tirelessly to his teams, his school, his various jobs and this community. It was an excellent example and one that I hope to pass down to my boys as well.

I hope that was specific enough for you, please don't hesitate to ask more questions.

I don't want your vote because of party affiliation or some club we both belong to.

I want to earn it.

Getting better Matt - I commented on your first posts and said they were sort of generic and noncommittal. I didn't say you were a bad person or go into your "personal history" - isn't that fair to say ?

I do believe even the Lan Dems could choose "New Candidates" - at this point - many believe its their only hope !

Unlike some here - I didn't go all attack mode on you - did I ?

So lets get this done - Are you for keeping the Red Skins name - Yes or No - Why ?

As I stated - I don't blindly follow or support any one Party - people like to attach me to the Republicans - that's their problem. I have had no involvement with any Committee Person - no Political events - no money given or received from any party - I am not running for any office nor will I !

Politics in Lancaster is horrible - the past Lan Dem insiders were slash and burn - developer supported Family and Friends Employment Agency. The majority players still are !

Watching the selection process in the past was like one County Level Dem said - "Its like watching a wrestling match - its all thought out - looks great and we all know how it ends"

hey matt - we grew up together and are friends on FB. i was happy to see you are running and knowing the type of person you and your local commitment and involvement you will be great in this role. i've always considered you very much a "Lancaster person". good luck!

4248: I don't think anyone has treated me unfairly. All the questions had merit and the only ones I have a difficult time answering from anyone on this thread are those in which I don't have enough information or are hypothetical. Thanks for keeping the conversation going and explaining your opinions as well

abc123 - Thanks for the support and kind words. I hope to earn enough votes to represent my home town this fall!

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thank you for answering everyone's questions. What is your stance on patronage & the friend and family employment agency? Do you feel that if you were elected to sit on the board, would you hire a friend/family just because or would you hire someone who was qualified?

Thx
    Please give us your position on the Lancaster Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Hi Matt,

Thank you for answering everyone's questions. What is your stance on patronage & the friend and family employment agency? Do you feel that if you were elected to sit on the board, would you hire a friend/family just because or would you hire someone who was qualified?

Thx
    Please give us your position on the Lancaster Airport.
    The first one is easy. In private business, I have found it is best to hire qualified people for a job and I see no reason why that also shouldn't work in the public sector. Now where it gets tricky is that we only have 42,000 people here in Lancaster and I am guessing that all of us are a friend or two away from each other. So at some point, I am certain that there will be someone who is hired that is a friend of somebody. I have no problem with that if they are qualified for the position and are willing to put in an honest days work. Ultimately when qualified applicants get the jobs there is less training time, making it easier on current employees which keeps morale high. Sounds good to me.

As for the airport, allow me a little latitude to spell out what I have been able to dig up on the matter to make sure I am understanding it correctly? The "New" developments near the Lancaster Airport are concerned about the amount of plane traffic, the safety of everyone involved (on the ground and in the air) and the expansion of the airfield which is translating into more flights/noise. I am also seeing concerns about tax breaks and other government assistance. On the other side of the issue, those who support the airport will point out that it was there long before the homes, they need to expand to remain competitive, their expansion is partly due to overflow safety concerns at the BNIA and ultimately their business represents a service to the community with good paying local jobs.

Did I get all that correct? Did I miss anything?

Thanks

Matt

Matt thank you for responding.

I appreciate your response to my first question regarding the friend and family patronage employment agency that seems to be common place in Lancaster both in the town and the village. I also like your response based on knowledge and qualifications being a criteria. You stated that the pool of applicants might be slim based on the population 42,000 and the desired positions available. As someone who is a participant of our government in Lancaster, I have witnessed and viewed the various applicants who have throughout the years applied for various positions within the town who were extremely qualified only to be denied to a friend or family to fill those positions. For example: In the village where Trustee Schroeder voted for his significant other Dawn Gaczewski to the position of Events Coordinator (this is a conflict of interest). It is my understanding that there were many applicants for that position. View the article in the Buffnews:
    http://www.buffalonews.com?apps/pbcs...130439983/1002
    Dawn is now running for Town Council at the town level. In viewing the past posts on Speakup, you were a proponent of her being hired with the knowledge that she is the girlfriend of the Village Trustee Schroeder. How do you explain that considering your narrative is slightly different that your past posts?

Regarding the airport: Clarification: Housing was there prior to the airport's existence. The airport was a small rural private strip that eventually garnered AIP grant monies paid for by the taxpayers in the tune of 14 million dollars. Received various IDA's and have swapped land and pays less taxes than three houses in Lancaster on prime land. The airport does not employ anyone and does not bring in $$ to support the business. They are totally relying on taxpayer money. In addition to that, they do not provide relief to BNIA, that is a misnomer because it was used as a catalyst to garnering tax dollars from the FAA and the taxpayers in Lancaster. It is a hobbyist airstrip that provides no jobs, affects the quality of life in the surrounding area, drain tax dollars especially from the school district, and their reckless flying has caused fatalities, emergency landings and near misses with the commercial aircraft due to the close proximity to International airspace.

I am hoping that safety is a primary concern for you, it is for the residents in Lancaster. Thank you for your answers to my questions.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information