Thread: New "Write In" Candidate For OP Town Council

New "Write In" Candidate For OP Town Council

There is a new declared "write in" candidate for the Orchard Park Town Council.

His name is Salvatore (Sal) Cerrone, an OP resident for 37 years from the northern part of Town.

See the attached .pdf - Mr. Cerrone's advertisement in today's Orchard Park Press announcing his write-in candidacy.

Mr. Cerrone is challenging the 2 endorsed and unopposed Town Board candidates on the ballot - David Kaczor (incumbent councilman running for his 3rd term, opposed downsizing and supported the single crowded Town Hall basement venue for the downsizing vote), and Eugene Majchrzak, a Planning Board member, who is also the Vice Chair-Finance for the OPGOP, and is Nan Ackerman's hand-picked and groomed "good 'ol boy" replacement for councilman Mark Dietrick.

There will be 2 councilman elected, and the winners will serve 4 year terms - but this time, they will serve on a downsized Town Board for the last 2 years beginning on January 1, 2012.

For those interested, the means to write-in a candidate using the new paper ballot and scanner machine is very easy - here's a link to the Erie County BOE's website, and a short video of the voting instructions, including how to do a write in:

http://www.vote-ny.com/english/machine-ds200.php

For your information and consideration.

Text of Mr. Cerrone's Write-in Candidate Ad

For the many guests to Speakupwny, here is the verbatim text of the attachment in the above post.

This is Mr. Cerrone's paid advertisement announcing his write-in candidacy for OP Town Council. published on Friday, October 23, 2009 in the Orchard Park Press.

ARE YOU CONCERNED??

Are you concerned with the direction of development in Orchard Park?
    Are you concerned with the safety of our loved ones, with the continuing increase in traffic?
    Are you concerned with paying full time benefits, for part time Town Board Members?
    Are you concerned with paying millions of dollars every year for retirement benefits for Town of Orchard Park elected officials?
    Are you concerned with the cost of Government?
    Are you concerned with partisan politics, which corrodes civility in our Town?
    Are you concerned with Orchard Park losing its quality of life?
    Are you concerned with Orchard Park becoming over developed like other Towns?
    Are you concerned that we have no choice in this years election for Town Council Members?

I am very concerned.....

We should all be concerned. My name is Salvatore Cerrone. I am asking you to vote for me as a write-in candidate for Orchard Park Councilman.

I have resided in Orchard Park for 37 years. Before my retirement in 2008, I worked in Union, non Union and Management jobs. I was involved as coach, manager, director and officer in youth baseball for 10 years. I am involved with the local Classic Car hobby community and hosting car shows to help raise money for local charities.

I am not a member of any political party. I am using my money for this ad. The only thing I ask for is your VOTE.

When elected with your help, I will decline any benefits. I will accept only half of the current councilman compensation and challenge other Council Members to do the same. If I receive any compensation that is higher then my pledge, I will donate that amount to a charity in Orchard Park.

I pledge to serve only ONE term. Since I am NOT beholding to any Political Party, Developers or Special Interests. I will be your voice, eyes and ears.

I will serve you!!!

Help me reduce the cost of Government.

Vote for Salvatore Cerrone for Orchard Park Councilman as a write-in Candidate.

Thank you for your VOTE!!!
    Sal
    Email - (sal5791@gmail.com)
    824-2368

OP Press Article 10/23/09 - New Write-in Candidate for OP Town Council

Here's the full text of the Orchard Park Press article published on 10-23-09 regarding Mr. Sal Cerrone's announcement as a write-in candidate for a seat on the OP Town Council.

Write-in Candidate Launches Late Campaign for Town Board

by Chris Gibbons
    (Orchard Park Press, Friday, October 23, 2009)

Salvatore Cerrone is fighting an uphill battle. That doesn't seem to phase the 37-year resident of Orchard Park, who has announced that he is a write-in candidate for one of the two Town Board seats that will be decided Tuesday, Nov. 3.

Not only is Cerrone entering the race late in the game, but he also faces the limitations of being a write-in candidate in an election that will use computerized voting machines that were introduced during the downsizing vote held in September.

Town Supervisor candidate, Dr. Patrick Keem, who sought to be the write-in candidate for the Independence Party, contends confusion over the new paper balloting system cost him the party primary on Sept. 15. He pointed to voters who misspelled his name and others who put his name in the wrong spot on the ballot.

Cerrone, who is 61 years old and lives on Lakeview Avenue, is undeterred. "Since my retirement, I've had a concern with the rate of development in the northwest part of town where I live," he said during an interview on Tuesday.

He cited the number of cars that cut through his neighborhood to access the Quaker Crossing shopping center as a sign that "we need the right kind of growth," and by that he means that planning proposals should be carefully examined and take the character of the community into consideration. "We need to take a good, hard look at what we want to do," he said.

This is Cerrone's first foray into politics. He recently retired from a 29-year career as a teamster for USF Holland. He is married and the father of two sons and has "five wonderful grandchildren." He spent ten years volunteering with the District Five Athletic Association when his sons played youth baseball and is a current member of a local and a national car club that raise funds for charity. He cites his life experience as his principal qualification for the position of councilman.

Cerrone been a frequent observer at Town Board work sessions and meetings. "A lot of the things I've seen (there), I don't particularly care for," he said.

He cites "partisan politics" and the lack of debate allowed over the downsizing question as further incentives to run for office.

He was further motivated to run for the Town Board by the presence of a Republican majority in Orchard Park politics.

Cerrone is challenging the two Republican candidates whose names will appear on the ballot: incumbent David Kaczor and Planning Board member Eugene Majchrzak.

"There has to be another voice," Cerrone said. “If we have just one political party (running things), then there should be one person letting the people of Orchard Park know what's going on."

Cerrone is critical of the way he says Town Board members have treated out-going Town Supervisor Mary Travers Murphy, contending she was "bullied and disrespected."

He points to his work experience as an advantage in dealing with local officials. "This is one teamster they will not push around," he said.

Although he doesn't have a political party affiliation, Cerrone said he has been encouraged by friends and members of both the Democratic and Republican parties to run for office and that "people should have a choice."

"I have a huge uphill battle because I have no party affiliation and I don't have a ton of money," he said, but when he talked about his opponents, Cerreone asked, "What qualifies any of those people more than me?

I think its great that Sal is running.... No candidate should run unopposed. Just wish he would have come out sooner.

True - but better late than never.

Word travels fast - I'm amazed at how many folks in OP are already aware after just a few short days. The article and ad in the OP Press certainly helped - and perhaps to a lesser extent - the postings here on Speakup.

Once folks know, the decision is of course up to them.

You may recall that 2 "write-in" candidates for the Amherst School Board were elected back in May of '09. Here's a link to a Buffalo News piece that described that:

http://www.buffalonews.com/231/story/682875.html

Yes, a different election.

But the next week or so will still be interesting.

Sample Ballot Example for Write-in of Salvatore Cerrone

Here's an excerpt of the sample paper ballot (columns 9 and 10) that shows the Orchard Park choices for Town Councilman, and how easy it is to write-in the name of Mr. Salvatore Cerrone (and fill in the circle) on the bottom row.

Salvatore_Cerrone_Write-in_-_Sample_Ballot

Buffalo News Article 10/31/09

Link below to Buffalo News article 10/31/09:

"Cerrone seeks write-in votes against board incumbents."

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/845755.html

Unregistered

Question Write In Candidate ?

Do we know how the Write In Candidate did in Tuesday's election? I agree having two council spots run unopposed is unacceptable. Where is our right to choose? Taken away.... I've seen Dave Kaczor at Town Board meetings and he's ok. I know nothing about the other candidate and did not vote for him. I will be watching him closely. Will he make a difference?

no he wont make a difference. this gene guy didnt even campaign. did you meet him? i didnt. he wasnt anywhere....he didnt even bother to get out there and talk to the residents. wow- another lazy representative. too bad- i wrote in for sal. lazy incompetent people win- and the best candidates lose. whats wrong with the pic in op?

Unregistered
    No I did not meet either of the councilman candidates - did not receive any political literature either allowing me to read about them. How is one supposed to vote on a candidate if they have no idea what a person is about? Are they above it all and figured why bother campaigning since neither of them had opposition? Complete arrogance!

Thread Information