Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legislators OK $1 billion in union benefits

Legislators OK $1 billion in union benefits

Is freebuffalo planning on doing anything directly about it?
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by steven

He will come out with another useless news alert about it. Other than that nothing.

The purpose of FB as a thinktank is to do research and write reports. It's up to other groups and/or individuals to act on the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman
    The purpose of FB as a thinktank is to do research and write reports. It's up to other groups and/or individuals to act on the information.
    You guys had no problem lobbying pataki to veto the last budget.

Jim Ostrowski
    I'm trying to get a rally organized to urge Pataki to veto the bloated state budget. Next Thursday, 12 noon, in Albany?
    Anyone interested?
    Would the editor consider an online petition? If so, I'll draft some language.
    We could then go into the Guv's office and hand in a paper copy.
    Jim Ostrowski
    Free New York will hold a press conference Thursday, April 6th, at 12:30pm, on the steps of the State Capitol in Albany, to release a study on the New York State budget and urge Governor Pataki to veto the monstrosity.
    Jim Ostrowski
    This is the report on the budget I took to Albany yesterday for presentation to the Governor and the Capital press. This is subject to revision before final publication. Two charts in the report do not show up in this format. They speak of how NY spends more than Ohio and PA.
    Why is this different?
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

As a non-partisan group, Free Buffalo cannot devote a "substantial" portion of its resources to lobbying such as you mention.

Our individual members (including me) can do all the lobbying they want, however.

An email or phone campaign might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    FreeBuffalo has been advocating changes to eliminate this type of shameful activity since day one.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedwnyer

He will come out with another useless news alert about it. Other than that nothing.
    News alerts that have had a direct, postive impact on many local political issues.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    And so with gods and men

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Mind making up a resume with your accomplishments reguarding political matters?

Quote Originally Posted by Batman
    You can say this until you are blue in the face. I will respond until I am purple in the face that your think tank is almost useless in nature because the results are going towards nothing. Adding insult to injury the information that is coming out of this think tank seems to be skewed. Could this information be used reliably…. Hmmmmm.

You can say this until you are blue in the face. I will respond until I am purple in the face that your think tank is almost useless in nature because the results are going towards nothing. Adding insult to injury the information that is coming out of this think tank seems to be skewed. Could this information be used reliably…. Hmmmmm.
    The answer to your question is ABSOLUTELY, and it has been used many times and I personally have heard thanks from government officials who appreciate the studies and information.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    And so with gods and men

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski
    As a non-partisan group, Free Buffalo cannot devote a "substantial" portion of its resources to lobbying such as you mention.
    I am glad you mentioned this fact. The key word is “SUBSTANTIAL.” A 5013c does allow for such activity as long as the lobbing efforts are not the majority of the organizations efforts. Another words 60 percent could go for the think tank/report efforts of Free Buffalo and the remaining 40 percent could go for the lobbying efforts.

Sticks and stones could break my bones but names will never hurt me. Free Buffalo likes to throw names around but there are no sticks and stones.

Free Buffalo would probably get all kinds of supporters if Free Buffalo focused on the 40 percent with results.

I attended the Free Buffalo “brainstorming session” the other night at Mcpartlands’ restaurant and I can tell you it sounded like The Free Buffalo think tank seemed more like a Free Buffalo Sinking tank. I looked around and saw at least three people who left early that had less then confident expression on their face. I know you cannot please everyone.

Our individual members (including me) can do all the lobbying they want, however.

An email or phone campaign might be a good idea.
    [/quote]
    Yes, so did SpeakupWNY do that. Your point??? Free Buffalo Needs to be more proactive and not just a news reporter based on the news of yesterday. Phone campaigning is tough. No one likes to be bothered with such phone calls. I tend to hang up very quickly myself.

Quote Originally Posted by DelawareDistrict
    News alerts that have had a direct, postive impact on many local political issues.
    Where could I find a summery report, subject to verification, of these positive impacts?

I do not mean to knock Free Buffalo but something just is not right. People seem to also agree with that as evident by the overwhelming support or more accurately lack of.

Last edited by concernedwnyer; July 3rd, 2006 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Mind making up a resume with your accomplishments reguarding political matters?

Where could I find a summery report, subject to verification, of these positive impacts?

I do not mean to knock Free Buffalo but something just is not right. People seem to also agree with that as evident by the overwhelming support or more accurately lack of.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "subject to verification", however if you visit FreeBuffalo's website there are numerous contact links. I'm sure if you put in a request, someone will probably provide the information you seek. As for your observation of support, you can take the glass half full approach or the glass half empty approach. You seem to be insinuating that there is some hidden agenda, that I can assure you is not true. Many people are now contacting their representatives in office to express their views due to information from FB. Many of these people did not do that before. I, myself, have been much more active politically than I used to be. Every time one more person is motivated to get involved, it is a victory!
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    And so with gods and men

Skewed in what way and for what purpose? As far as the information being useless, the Buffalo News has used this information repeatedly over the last year or so and has agreed with most of it.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information