Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Court ruling further snarls 4-year legal fight over city firefighter raises

Court ruling further snarls 4-year legal fight over city firefighter raises

A ruling by the state’s highest court has cast a legal cloud over raises that Buffalo firefighters received as part of a 2005 arbitration award and has nullified some policy changes that the city has implemented.

Officials on both sides of the dispute agree that last week’s State Court of Appeals ruling further complicates an already twist-filled four-year legal fight. They said their attorneys are reviewing the matter and likely will not have answers on the ruling’s impact for several days.

But one looming issue is whether the decision might spur the city to try to recoup 5.5 percent raises that were paid to firefighters in 2007 as part of the arbitration ruling.

“It’s a logical question, but we don’t have an answer to that yet,” Peter K. Cutler, Mayor Byron W. Brown’s communications chief, said Friday. “We’re not going to make any rash conclusions until attorneys can carefully review the issue.”

Fire union President Daniel M. Cunningham said the union always has believed that the award made by arbitrator Thomas N. Rinaldo was illegal. The decision effectively ended a tradition that gave firefighters pay parity with police officers, called for placing fire personnel under a single health insurer, made what the union viewed as unfair changes to injured-on- duty policies, and paved the way for other changes.

In general, Cunningham said, the union is pleased that the arbitration award has been nullified. “But, obviously, our members are concerned that the city may try to rescind the only raise they’ve had in seven years,” he added.

Based on city estimates, the raises awarded two years ago increased the salaries of the typical firefighter by about $3,000. However, the sums varied by job category.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/832311.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Take the money back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They screwed taxpayers on the healthcare tab, screw them on the pay!

Very interesting

they have worked under the terms of that arbitration award since that time. I don't that cherry picking aspects of the award is the correct thing to do. I'd expect the Union will be presented a deal in the near future. It will encompass the 5% they got over that time period. It is a mess.
    They hate us till they need us.

Please explain?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by CSense View Post

I know i read what you wrote but,

Please explain who screwed the taxpayers on Healthcare tab??

Thanks
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

4769 posts and csense has yet to make any...

Quote Originally Posted by fireman View Post
    4769 posts and csense has yet to make any...

What's it to you? Go take your $80,000+ tax funded slary to the burbs and have a nice day.

What's it to you? Go take your $80,000+ tax funded slary to the burbs and have a nice day.

Roger that! cry me a river.

P.s forgot benes,,, was that with plastic surgery or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Roger that! cry me a river.

P.s forgot benes,,, was that with plastic surgery or not?
    Wait the best is yet to come, Firedude is so pathetic you know he will bring up the deaths of McCarthy and Croom to justify raises.

Wait the best is yet to come, Firedude is so pathetic you know he will bring up the deaths of McCarthy and Croom to justify raises.
    Then you will just have to have him google how many more people die or are injured in manufacturing, other industries etc etc.

Who knows you may be surprised by crickets

No one ever should

You know I believe your a waste of a human being but, I have to whole heartedly agree with one point you made:

No one should ever use the tragic deaths of Fire Fighters or Law Enforcement Personal as a way to get a raise!
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    You know I believe your a waste of a human being but,

Why thank you, coming from such a despicable person such as yourself that is a compliment.

However, even though I may disagree with you, and while I may be condescending and outright rude, I'd never say you are a waste of a human being.

I hope you don't teach your children to live that way.

Have a nice demented life.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    In general, Cunningham said, the union is pleased that the arbitration award has been nullified. “But, obviously, our members are concerned that the city may try to rescind the only raise they’ve had in seven years,” he added.
    My long time friend Dan - you know the fire department is some of the most overpaid under worked workers in NY! All of ya have a second full time job and mostly sleep or watch TV on the BFD job. Then scam the system to get a pension that is not deserving. You manipulate the media and the people with each tragic accident that happens on the job. Sad and truly tragic any loss of life is - I have to ask - where is the public fanfare and demonstration over the roofer who looses his on the job.

If ya'all did not get a raise for 15 more years it might be equalized to a reasonable pay.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

4772 and counting...

By the way, I made a LOT more than just $80k last year...hee hee
    Last edited by fireman; October 30th, 2009 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fireman View Post
    4772 and counting...

By the way, I made a LOT more than just $80k last year...hee hee
    Congratulations in helping to make this area suck with taxes,, and helping us send our children to other places to find work.

You really don't appreciate the fireman until u need them IMHO
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information