Thread: Battle over charter schools stalls deal on state budget

Battle over charter schools stalls deal on state budget

ALBANY - A bitter, last-minute battle over charter schools kept state leaders from agreeing Thursday on a multibillion-dollar budget deal to provide homeowners with property-tax rebate checks, hospitals with new funding and low-income working families with child care and other support.
    Gov. George E. Pataki warned lawmakers he would send them a financial package - which adds to the state budget already approved in March - that included a provision expanding the number of charter schools in New York.

Lawmakers, however, called it a poison pill, and said they would not act on it unless the provision was erased.
    Meanwhile, the budget deal being negotiated includes a new program that proponents say would help cities, especially Buffalo, to remove some of the urban blight that has spread during the decades of economic downturn in the upstate region.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...23/1013797.asp
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

I'm not surprised, I'm sure the teachers' unions are lobbying against the charters quite furiously.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

That and

Quote Originally Posted by DelawareDistrict
    I'm not surprised, I'm sure the teachers' unions are lobbying against the charters quite furiously.
    That and maybe charter schools calculate per student reimbursment using a bogus formula. Ever wonder why most charter schools are elementary?
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by LaNdReW
    That and maybe charter schools calculate per student reimbursment using a bogus formula. Ever wonder why most charter schools are elementary?
    I certainly don't know about this bogus formula they refer to. Fill us in...

And why are they elementary? That's the best time to educate kids...

Quote Originally Posted by LaNdReW
    If that is happening, it can be best addressed by a voucher system that would allow parents to pick the school their child attends based on performance. Just because we have a basically monopolistic public school system now, doesn't mean we have to keep it that way. The goal should be what's best for education, not the unions.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

Stepping Stone -The Jewel of the Charter System

We need more charter schools like Stepping Stone, the education you recieve there is enough for you to become President of the United States of America. The students there could easily outscore Einstein on any test.
    "All government, -indeed, every human benefit and enjoyment, every virtue and every prudent act,- is founded on compromise..." -Edmund Burke
    A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910), (attributed)
    Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004 George W. Bush

aarg

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    I certainly don't know about this bogus formula they refer to. Fill us in...

And why are they elementary? That's the best time to educate kids...
    I had replied to this the other day, but I see my post is gone...I have been having issues on here lately.
    Anyhoo...

From what I am told, the amount that the district reimburses the charter school is calculated from the average cost per student in the district(k-12)...
    The problem is, its cheaper to teach elementary students than high school students.... Thus, many charter schools teach elementary grades, where the actual cost is less than the amount they are reimbursed.
    That being said, I think this formula is being/has been modified to calculate costs per grade or in a more equitable manner
    Ironically, I believe the formula is calculated by the district itself.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Thread Information