Thread: NARCAN training - is this wise?

NARCAN training - is this wise?

Anyone 16 or over can take the two hour course and then they receive a NARCAN kit with two doses and two hypodermics.

Is this wise to be training people how to administer a drug when those people are not vetted to determine if they have the knowledge to know when to administer such a dangerous drug?

Severe side effects of Narcan include agitation, hypo- and hypertension, cardiac arrhythmias, dyspnea, pulmonary edema, encephalopathy, seizures, coma, and death.
    And this:

Naloxone: The Most Abused Drug in EMS

I'm not against saving lives...but...we need to prioritize our life saving resources. Has every school in Erie county been equipped and trained to use defibrillators and Epipens and nebulizers?

Are there any studies of what has become of the heroin addicts saved by administration of NARCAN?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Who is pushing training for this?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Who is pushing training for this?
    The small business owner/ non-union members who sell Narcan kits.

I wonder if Ted advises his clients to invest in these companies:

While Narcan is handed out free of charge at these sessions, the cost of the drug has increased. Only one pharmaceutical company, Amphastar Pharmaceuticals, manufactures Narcan in the dosage that's used as a nasal spray. Seven years ago, Massachusetts paid $22 per Narcan kit. Today, that kit costs $42.

Rita Nieves of the Boston Public Health Commission attributes that increase to demand. "[The manufacturer] doubled the price because they know what they have in their hands — a life-saving tool that everybody wants to use now."

Amphastar says it is not able to discuss its pricing history for competitive reasons.
    'Magic' Overdose Drug Works, But Demand And Price On The Rise

and I hope the news was wrong about the form of narcan being handed out by erie county - i hope it is the nasal spray, not the needles.
    Last edited by nogods; April 8th, 2015 at 04:14 PM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    But they are not pushing it to be mandatory are they?

I had a guy come in the shop once. Was talking about making it mandatory that every home built would need a light up address number. Why? Because he wanted to have the market on a specific type of light up address sign or device. Put a law on the book to force people to buy his product.

It doesn't look like the locals use a nasal spray.

http://wivb.com/2015/04/10/mother-of...roin-overdose/

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information