Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pavement road near broadway

Good question.

I know that having senior housing behind Tops would be a bad idea. Seniors will have transportation provided by the facility itself. In the boonies would not really make a difference.

I think having too many things going on clustered in one area is bad. This is only my opinion of course. You have a subdivision, industrial and businesses on that road, now a senior complex. I think what would have been nice is like patio homes or something. I think a two story or three story complex is too much. Traffic will be an issue. I wonder why they didn't think about on Broadway by the other senior assisted living and nursing home?

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    I can understand that argument. (Although I don't necessarily agree with it, because most seniors in the burbs still drive.)

Ideally, what do you think would be a good location for a Senior Housing development? I mean, if a developer said to you "Lee, pick a site, or two, for us, and if the land is reasonably priced, we'll do it there."
    rising wrote: I can understand that argument. (Although I don't necessarily agree with it, because most seniors in the burbs still drive.)

Ideally, what do you think would be a good location for a Senior Housing development? I mean, if a developer said to you "Lee, pick a site, or two, for us, and if the land is reasonably priced, we'll do it there."

First off, are you referring to senior housing, without restrictions; or affordable senior housing, subsidized senior housing, senior housing where IDA’s are granted? You do mention cheap land so I imagine you are talking about affordable senior housing. Considering new affordable housing of any nature in Lancaster is questionable, I do not have the skills required to make such assessment.

However, senior housing should occur in an area where seniors have access to businesses nearby that serve their quality of life needs. Not all seniors drive and that fact was clearly brought out at the Town/Planning Board meetings and Public Hearings. When the Town voiced that their van service were already maxed out, Clover Management declared they would provide a van to transport seniors for doctor visits, shopping, etc. Upon further questioning Clover admitted they had one van servicing three other facilities already.

Hey, how about converting the vacant Depew Library into a senior housing project? That would be better that a dog control center.

Now I like that idea.

Oh I didn't realize that the van service was maxed out. Now don't some housing have their own transport?

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I know that having senior housing behind Tops would be a bad idea. Seniors will have transportation provided by the facility itself. In the boonies would not really make a difference.

I think having too many things going on clustered in one area is bad. This is only my opinion of course. You have a subdivision, industrial and businesses on that road, now a senior complex. I think what would have been nice is like patio homes or something. I think a two story or three story complex is too much. Traffic will be an issue. I wonder why they didn't think about on Broadway by the other senior assisted living and nursing home?
    First of all, I assume its called Pavement Road for a reason - Pavement=Quarry. In other words, this is an area that has had industrial use for quite some time.

Second of all, I believe the property had been zoned M1 (light manufacturing) prior to the rezone by the senior housing development. So, those folks you keep talking about in the subdivision - they built their nice new homes, knowing that a factory, or warehouse, could have been built across the street from them. They should be thrilled to have this.

Third of all - if you're gonna bring up the traffic issue, see above. The previous zoning would have brought a lot more traffic (trucks.)

Finally - maybe there's no available land next to Greenfields. If there was, they would have bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    First off, are you referring to senior housing, without restrictions; or affordable senior housing, subsidized senior housing, senior housing where IDA’s are granted? You do mention cheap land so I imagine you are talking about affordable senior housing. Considering new affordable housing of any nature in Lancaster is questionable, I do not have the skills required to make such assessment.
    Let's be honest - there's no difference. This isn't "affordable housing" in the sense of low-income. Yes, the project is induced by the IDA , and we can debate whether or not it should be, but, I don't see how that's relevant to my question.

"Affordable housing" for regular (i.e. non-senior) development simply means that the apartments will be marketed toward people below a certain income level. That fulfillment can be filled simply by submitting it to Belmont Shelter. If Belmont has a low income person that fits that criteria, you have the option of taking them.

The reason I said "cheap land" is because developers, in general need "cheap land" in order to make all residential projects work. The #'s simply don't work, if you pay retail prices for residential development.

However, senior housing should occur in an area where seniors have access to businesses nearby that serve their quality of life needs. Not all seniors drive and that fact was clearly brought out at the Town/Planning Board meetings and Public Hearings. When the Town voiced that their van service were already maxed out, Clover Management declared they would provide a van to transport seniors for doctor visits, shopping, etc. Upon further questioning Clover admitted they had one van servicing three other facilities already.
    Sounds like Transit Road, no?
    And, of course, where I'm getting with this, is that the price of land on Transit Road makes a project like this unfeasible.
    Hey, how about converting the vacant Depew Library into a senior housing project? That would be better that a dog control center.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Maybe in our lifetimes.

rising wrote:

Sounds like Transit Road, no?
    And, of course, where I'm getting with this, is that the price of land on Transit Road makes a project like this unfeasible.
    Ah, we cut to the chase. Here's where you were heading. If land is not cheap along Transit Road, and would be a deterrent to building a senior apartment complex, why is Bella Vista asking for a rezone to develop behind the TOPS; and why is he petitioning to get a rezone of a rezone to build a rental complex next to the Wal-Mart?

Chowaniec quote:
    rising
    I wholeheartedly agree. Maybe in our lifetimes.
    It would serve the Town and Villages well to convert this building into a community center with computers. But you know what? It appears soccer and lacrosse fields bring more votes.

Nice,Lee

Ah, we cut to the chase. Here's where you were heading. If land is not cheap along Transit Road, and would be a deterrent to building a senior apartment complex, why is Bella Vista asking for a rezone to develop behind the TOPS; and why is he petitioning to get a rezone of a rezone to build a rental complex next to the Wal-Mart?

rising

It would serve the Town and Villages well to convert this building into a community center with computers. But you know what? It appears soccer and lacrosse fields bring more votes.
    well said.

Because they already own the land. They've probably owned it for many years, i.e. there is not cost of acquisition involved.

My head spins,

you know with all the rezones. This should be Re-zone Capital.

Rezone, rezone, rezone,

Oh madon'~~~my head is a spinnin'...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information