Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancaster's tax assessor needs work????????

Question Lancaster's tax assessor needs work????????

So let me see if I got this correct!?

The Lancaster Town Tax Assessor is appointed by the Lancaster Town Board. He works and is paid as a "Full Time Employee."

He receives a full salary, health care , NYS Pension credits , and will also eligible for vacation , sick time , longevity pay and clothing allowance - all tax funded by Lancaster Property owners !

This job was always a "Full time" position, the last assessor worked it "Full time."

• How does it now become a part time job?
    • Has his hours been reduced?
    • Was his pay reduced?
    • Will his tax funded pay , health care or pension costs be reduced for Lancaster's Tax Payers?
    • How can he work two tax funded - full time jobs?
    Even if the West Seneca Assessors Position is "Part-time" - what tax funded pay and benefits will he receive from W.S.? Will that reduce what the Town of Lancaster pays him?

Will he be like Lancaster Town Board Members and work about ten hours a month and get paid for 72 hours.(Town Board Members attend two meetings a month - about five hour work time each meeting=10 Hours a month.)

If the Town of Lancaster doesn't need a full time tax assessor - why do we have one?

If our tax assessor can run around to other Towns, looking for work - why is he getting paid full time from Lancaster?
    Somebody please explain?

Sounds like another tax funded double dipper!
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Well, you know...

West Seneca went to Cheektowaga, in search of an assessor~~They said NO. But hey Lancaster has people they are willing to send out, but it'll cost ya.

Originally posted by 4248:
    So let me see if I got this correct!?

The Lancaster Town Tax Assessor is appointed by the Lancaster Town Board. He works and is paid as a "Full Time Employee."

He receives a full salary, health care , NYS Pension credits , and will also eligible for vacation , sick time , longevity pay and clothing allowance - all tax funded by Lancaster Property owners !

This job was always a "Full time" position, the last assessor worked it "Full time."
    • How does it now become a part time job?
    • Has his hours been reduced?
    • Was his pay reduced?
    • Will his tax funded pay , health care or pension costs be reduced for Lancaster's Tax Payers?
    • How can he work two tax funded - full time jobs?
    Even if the West Seneca Assessors Position is "Part-time" - what tax funded pay and benefits will he receive from W.S.? Will that reduce what the Town of Lancaster pays him?
    4248, You made a very valid point. If the assessor is in West Seneca working two days a week then his Lancaster pay should be reduced by 40%. And if it is possible for him to do this, what has he been doing with all the extra time on his hands since he was appointed?

Georgia L Schlager

I see our newest member is DMarrano.
    What say you Mr Marrano?

Georgia L Schlager

Exactly!

Too much time, and we are paying for it again and again for him to help the other townh? Why doesn't West Seneca pay the difference, what is their monetary role? They state on their website that they are saving 40 thousand dollars? Why then do we have to pay for that and they save and we are providing the service?

I am Dave Marrano-Town Assessor for Lancaster, and want to make a few points regarding the PROPOSED shared services agreement between Lancaster and West Seneca for an Assessor.Note that none of this is final as both Town Boards have to meet and agree to the terms.This is still in the proposed form.

1.The Town of West Seneca approached Lancaster regarding this, due to the retirement of their current assessor.They proposed a shared services agreement where I would work in both towns as their assessor.The proposal is they(West Seneca) would pay Lancaster $54,000 for this.

This was NEVER started by the Lancaster, or the so called Democratic commitee.As far as as West Seneca approaching Cheektowaga, I do not know if that happened. What I do know is the current assessor in Cheektowaga is currently on administartive leave from his job. That has been reviewed in the Cheektowaga thread.

2. This agreement is proposed to save West Seneca almost $140,000 in savings since they will not be paying salary and benefits not only to thier assessor, but they are also not filling a vacant position (Real Property tech) in their office

3. This will save Lancaster in excess of $40,000. While West Seneca is paying $54,000, it is true I will be getting a $10,000 year raise, and one of our appraisers will be getting a $4000 a year raise. This is since both of us will be spending time in West Seneca.

4. Their is no Lifetime benefits-with or with out this proposal. My benefits end when I am no longer employed by the town

5. These type of Shared Services agreement are already existing in many towns through out NY State.The NY State Office of Real property Services(ORPS) administers these. One of the most recent ones was in Onondaga County (Syracuse) between the towns of Cicero and Salina

6.It is all about saving taxpayers money.That is it. No patronage, actually a reduction in jobs and a reduction in costs to run these offices, which results in savings to the taxpayers. These type of shared services are needed now more than ever to cut costs.We know government needs to reduce costs-why would any one be against this-it saves money- no shell game

7.I work hard for the taxpayers.If you want to review my time sheets, it will show I easily work 8-15 hours more per week than my required hours(Note-I do not earn or accrue or get paid comp time as a department head)I am not complaining since I love my job. If the Shared services agreement is approved. I will easily be working 55-60 hours per week.To say I take my job part time is really an insult to me.

8. As far as my qualifications, when some one is appointed an Assessor , there is a battery of courses they must take and pass exams for .The total is 8 courses. You have three years from date of appointment(Mine was 11/19/07) to complete this. I have successfully completed 7 of the 8, and will be taking the exam for number 8 on 12/4/09.If I pass, I will have completed my requirements a full year ahead of time

I could go on , but would really like to talk with ANYONE who has questions on this directlly. This will be my only post on this.You can call me on direct line (601-0703), call my cell(Note personal cell, not town owned) 870-4085, stop by my office at town hall or email me at dmarrano@lancasterny.com.I am a bit busy in my personal lfe right now . My wife ,Master Sergeant Susan Marrano of the NY Air National Guard is currentlly on deployment for the next couple of weeks training for the units new mission as a C-130 supply plane.She defends your rights to enter your thoughts on a web site, whether it is the truth or mis -information

Thank You

Dave Marrano

Welcome to speakup Dave and thank you for explanation.

Welcome indeed Mr. Marrano! This is truly a breath of fresh air and an attempt to bring transparency to a town that too often sits back and does not share information openly. And yes, information is power and an informed resident makes intelligent determinations, statements and voting decisions. And, while sitting in one of the most difficult offices to serve and take a lot of property owner heat, you do share information sir.

While the caped crusader Gaughan marches along to reduce government and save a few bucks by downsizing, consolidation between towns that accomplishes the same is frowned on? Explain that to me.

I wish you success on the endeavor to address the inequity of 339-y Condo Law regarding 40% property/school tax breaks for condos and townhouses now taking place in Lancaster. The added revenues to the town would make Gaughan's savings efforts pale in comparison.

Thumbs up Nice - good start!

This is truly a good day for Lancaster's concerned residents - Thank You Mr.Dave Marrano!

While Mr.Marrano knows I have made no secret that I disapprove of how he acquired his present position. I have also said he as well as Mr.Latello are just playing by the "Party Rules."

I am happy to hear you have been educating your self and, I am sure you will do your job as expected.

As a person I have seen him at public events - we don't talk "Politics" and I have enjoyed those encounters. God Bless your wife and family for their sacrifice for our Country. I know how it feels to re-arrange your families life in order to serve. May She always return Safe and Smiling!

That said,
    • Are you stating that from the Town of Lancaster you are not, nor will you become eligible for: Health care benefits or buyout payments, NYS Pension Credits, NYS Deferred Comp, Vacation time/pay, Sick time/pay, Longevity pay, clothing allowance or payment?
    • -
    • Are you saying one of Lancaster's appraisers will be assisting West Seneca? - how many hours per week at each location(Lancaster-West Seneca)?
    • -
    • You will be "Supervisor of both Offices" - how many hours per week at each location(Lancaster-West Seneca)?
    • -
    • You said West Seneca will give Lancaster $54,000(Is this one time or yearly for the life of the services?) - Where will this be track-able in our budget and where does the other $40,000 go, how will that be track-able in our budget?
    • -
    • Our Appraiser and You, are now "Full time Lancaster Employees" - in order to devote time to both Towns - how will your hours be split - and what mechanism of accountability will there be at both locations?
    In the past, as you are aware, Lancaster had a Employee (Appointed by the Board) who was supposedly working full time at Town Hall.

Actually in the assessors Office - he was supposedly "Full Time" - getting full pay and benefits. It turned out he was attending college full time, while supposedly in Town Hall.

The Assessor rightfully refused to verify his hours, so the Town Engineer Mr.Labensky did - even though he worked at a different location. The Employee said, "You can check when my computer was on and off" - lame!(he was removed when it was made public by me, but not punished or reprimanded by Supervisor B.Giza.)

What over sights and or safe guards will you install so tax payers can assess/account for your work hours and those of the appraiser?

Once again I thank you for being publicly available and responding to this site. Residents need transparency in Government - hopefully as our new Town Assessor at least your Office will be a example the Town Board can learn from.

Not to get off track "but" regarding working full time for the town. I hope taxpayers remember that Dan Amatura already has a full time job running his restaurant. Do you honestly believe he can handle a full time position with the town as well? I doubt it!

Originally posted by DMarrano:
    I am Dave Marrano-Town Assessor for Lancaster, and want to make a few points regarding the PROPOSED shared services agreement between Lancaster and West Seneca for an Assessor.Note that none of this is final as both Town Boards have to meet and agree to the terms.This is still in the proposed form.

1.The Town of West Seneca approached Lancaster regarding this, due to the retirement of their current assessor.They proposed a shared services agreement where I would work in both towns as their assessor.The proposal is they(West Seneca) would pay Lancaster $54,000 for this.

This was NEVER started by the Lancaster, or the so called Democratic commitee.As far as as West Seneca approaching Cheektowaga, I do not know if that happened. What I do know is the current assessor in Cheektowaga is currently on administartive leave from his job. That has been reviewed in the Cheektowaga thread.

2. This agreement is proposed to save West Seneca almost $140,000 in savings since they will not be paying salary and benefits not only to thier assessor, but they are also not filling a vacant position (Real Property tech) in their office

3. This will save Lancaster in excess of $40,000. While West Seneca is paying $54,000, it is true I will be getting a $10,000 year raise, and one of our appraisers will be getting a $4000 a year raise. This is since both of us will be spending time in West Seneca.

4. Their is no Lifetime benefits-with or with out this proposal. My benefits end when I am no longer employed by the town

5. These type of Shared Services agreement are already existing in many towns through out NY State.The NY State Office of Real property Services(ORPS) administers these. One of the most recent ones was in Onondaga County (Syracuse) between the towns of Cicero and Salina

6.It is all about saving taxpayers money.That is it. No patronage, actually a reduction in jobs and a reduction in costs to run these offices, which results in savings to the taxpayers. These type of shared services are needed now more than ever to cut costs.We know government needs to reduce costs-why would any one be against this-it saves money- no shell game

7.I work hard for the taxpayers.If you want to review my time sheets, it will show I easily work 8-15 hours more per week than my required hours(Note-I do not earn or accrue or get paid comp time as a department head)I am not complaining since I love my job. If the Shared services agreement is approved. I will easily be working 55-60 hours per week.To say I take my job part time is really an insult to me.

8. As far as my qualifications, when some one is appointed an Assessor , there is a battery of courses they must take and pass exams for .The total is 8 courses. You have three years from date of appointment(Mine was 11/19/07) to complete this. I have successfully completed 7 of the 8, and will be taking the exam for number 8 on 12/4/09.If I pass, I will have completed my requirements a full year ahead of time

I could go on , but would really like to talk with ANYONE who has questions on this directlly. This will be my only post on this.You can call me on direct line (601-0703), call my cell(Note personal cell, not town owned) 870-4085, stop by my office at town hall or email me at dmarrano@lancasterny.com.I am a bit busy in my personal lfe right now . My wife ,Master Sergeant Susan Marrano of the NY Air National Guard is currentlly on deployment for the next couple of weeks training for the units new mission as a C-130 supply plane.She defends your rights to enter your thoughts on a web site, whether it is the truth or mis -information

Thank You

Dave Marrano
    Thank you very much for the explanation. It's nice to here from an official who doesn't speak with a fork-tongue. Would you like to run for Town Supervisor the next time around?

Georgia L Schlager

I have entered my reply after the questions.Some of these will have a better answer after the Lancaster and West Seneca boards meet and discuss process and procedure

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    This is truly a good day for Lancaster's concerned residents - Thank You Mr.Dave Marrano!

While Mr.Marrano knows I have made no secret that I disapprove of how he acquired his present position. I have also said he as well as Mr.Latello are just playing by the "Party Rules."

I am happy to hear you have been educating your self and, I am sure you will do your job as expected.

As a person I have seen him at public events - we don't talk "Politics" and I have enjoyed those encounters. God Bless your wife and family for their sacrifice for our Country. I know how it feels to re-arrange your families life in order to serve. May She always return Safe and Smiling!

That said,
    • Are you stating that from the Town of Lancaster you are not, nor will you become eligible for: Health care benefits or buyout payments, NYS Pension Credits, NYS Deferred Comp, Vacation time/pay, Sick time/pay, Longevity pay, clothing allowance or payment?
    • I will only have Health Care Benefits for as long as I am employed-when that ends my benefits end.After 5 years, I am eligible for NYS Pension, but as a tier 4 plan member, I pay 3% of my salary per year. I do get the vacation time and sick pay per the White Collar union contract-I am not in the union, but as a department head follow it. I am receiving 5 vacation days .I do not get a clothing allowance, and I do not get longetivity pay
    • -
    • Are you saying one of Lancaster's appraisers will be assisting West Seneca? - how many hours per week at each location(Lancaster-West Seneca)?
    Hard to say at this point. Our appraiser, who is NY State Licensed as an appraiser will assist in commercial valuations.My estimate is 5-10 hours per week
    • -
    • You will be "Supervisor of both Offices" - how many hours per week at each location(Lancaster-West Seneca)?
    Again, this still needs to be negotiated between the two Town Boards.It would probably be 3 days in Lancaster, 2 in West Seneca. That could flip to the other direction based on pojects etc
    • -
    • You said West Seneca will give Lancaster $54,000(Is this one time or yearly for the life of the services?) - Where will this be track-able in our budget and where does the other $40,000 go, how will that be track-able in our budget?
    The $54,000, which still needs to be negotiated, is a yearly payment. The two boards need to determine if this is the final amount and if this needs to include some sort of increases yearly. It is trackable in our budget since it will go in as a revenue line

• -
    • Our Appraiser and You, are now "Full time Lancaster Employees" - in order to devote time to both Towns - how will your hours be split - and what mechanism of accountability will there be at both locations?
    See above. We will have a system to track and monitor, but that is still under review
    In the past, as you are aware, Lancaster had a Employee (Appointed by the Board) who was supposedly working full time at Town Hall.

Actually in the assessors Office - he was supposedly "Full Time" - getting full pay and benefits. It turned out he was attending college full time, while supposedly in Town Hall.

The Assessor rightfully refused to verify his hours, so the Town Engineer Mr.Labensky did - even though he worked at a different location. The Employee said, "You can check when my computer was on and off" - lame!(he was removed when it was made public by me, but not punished or reprimanded by Supervisor B.Giza.)

What over sights and or safe guards will you install so tax payers can assess/account for your work hours and those of the appraiser?

Once again I thank you for being publicly available and responding to this site. Residents need transparency in Government - hopefully as our new Town Assessor at least your Office will be a example the Town Board can learn from.

Thumbs up This is good - open exchange with Tax Assessor D.Marrano

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Mr.Marrano stated,"I will only have Health Care Benefits for as long as I am employed - when that ends my benefits end. After 5 years, I am eligible for NYS Pension."

• Do you at present have NYS Pension Credits that could be applied in the future from past employment?
    You stated,"My estimate is 5-10 hours per week" for our appraiser to be in West Seneca. You could, "probably be 3 days in Lancaster, 2 in West Seneca."

Final working time to be determined as negotiations progress. Will taxpayers get to know what the total weekly hours will be before the deal is approved - and if so how will that be done?

You also stated Lancaster will receive, " The $54,000 a year from West Seneca" final total amount not known at this time - is that fair to say?

So about $40,000 goes to the Town as income. I too believe that payment should have a clause for it to be raised yearly by an equal percentage to cover any future pay raises Lancaster grants the "White Collar Employees"

Will there be any entitlement for "Travel time or expenses" that will be given to the appraiser and your self?

I appreciate this public exchange of information. This is truly unique.

Thank You,Sir.

It is a good start Dave

it is due to the people or residents of Lancaster that were unaware as to the circumstances in regards to the possible merging of our assessor with W.S. Since the town holds these back door meetings, the transparency is very selective. This one was one that since the people did not know the facts, it is with speculation that creates wonderment and questions.

Thank you for having gone on Speakup to relay this important information that we as taxpayers really need to know. You answered most of our questions, however there still appears that when the boards approve this, more questions then need to be addressed and answered. We appreciate your candor, hopefully you will continue to be transparent.

To Mr.D.Marrano - Lancaster Tax Assessor

I have a suggestion or request. If allowed, maybe you could start a thread here about what assessors work and what your duties are.

Like, explain to residents and taxpayers how assessments are prepared . Who actually does the appraisals and where does comparative values come from.

I heard you seem to enjoy doing info sessions at the senior center and Town Hall. In all seriousness - no evil motives on my part.

Politics aside,

I believe the more I reflect on your efforts and your opinions - I believe you could help remove some of the smoke many people see at Town Hall.

Many, Many residents and tax payers don't even know what information is available at your office. They don't understand that they can come in and actually learn what seems hidden.

Many people have had unpleasant experiences when they ask questions at Town Board Meetings. Some were upset with what they heard and saw, so they dont return. They are reluctant to attend public meetings because they fear being labeled as a trouble maker or NIMBY.

Maybe a on line forum - even just a few posts a month. People could read your information or articles and educate them selves. If you help educate home owners, I am sure it would also make your job easier.

I am sure it wouldn't take too much of your time. Give it some thought and let the readers know what you think?

In closing, I want to believe our new assessor will work for the tax payers. I have great hopes he can shed light on the issues concerning assessments and tax rates or guidelines he uses.

I would volunteer to help but, for obvious reasons I am unable to.

Thanks again and we are all awaiting your reply and thoughts on a "Assessors" thread. - If thats OK with the Moderator and other readers!?

Last Point: I am still concerned that there is still many area's concerning the "shared service agreement" - that either haven't been talked about or settled. I think the $45,000 from West Seneca is a good Starting place. Depending on hours of service given in return. I also believe there will be pension and benefits issues cropping up.

Am I convinced it could work, Yes. I am also sure if its what the controlling members want it will happen - so lets do some thing different - lets do it in the light of day!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information