Thread: Town Park Fireworks Community Meeting

Town Park Fireworks Community Meeting

The Town Park Community Associated monthly meeting hosted a presentation by Chief Zack about last year's Fourth of July disruption. As he explained it, the problem arose from a "perfect storm" situation:

1. Within 20 minutes just before the fireworks display an unusually large crowd of teenagers had gathered in the area between the amphitheater and the concession tents to watch the fireworks.

2. They had intelligence (he displayed some of the twitter and face book pages) indicating that a few gang members intended to be at the fireworks with firearms in their possession. At least one such person was told beforehand that he could not attend the event because of his threatening social media posts.

3. Shortly after the fireworks started, an officer noticed a teenager behaving in a manner that indicated he was carrying a weapon. When the officer approached that teenager turned away but caused the firearm in his belt to be exposed (it turned out to be a pellet gun that looked very much like a large handgun).

4. The officer tackled the teenager which gave rise to a lot of commotion.

5. At that point the Chief combined the intelligence about potential armed gang members with what was thought to be an actual firearm leading him to conclude that the best option was to move the crowd out of the park, even though he knew that because his force had not yet been stationed outside the park for exiting crowd control it could cause some problems in the surrounding neighborhood. He concluded that preventing a gun fight in the park was the more critical at that moment.

After watching the presentation I have a better appreciation for the lesser of two evils choice the Chief had to make.

The Chief and the council members in attendance all agreed that terminating the fourth celebration in Town Park is the worst possible option, and that modifying the logistics of the celebration will be explored to help reduce the risk of such incidents in the future. The Chief and Mary stated that they explored the possibility of moving the fireworks to Losson park but that is impossible because of the DEC's Reinstein Woods adjacent to the park, the extensive woods in the park itself, and the more difficult logistics for crowd control in that park.

The great majority of residents attending the meeting exhibited support for both Chief Zack, his police officers, and keeping the fourth celebration in Town Park. One woman said it should be moved to another location because she did not feel safe attending the fourth celebration in Town Park with her young children.

The Chief also went into detail about another arrest that evening involving a teenager who drew a knife when approached by an officer. The officer drew his weapon and order the teenager to drop the knife, but he refused to do and began acting in a threatening manner. The Chief stated that at that point his officer would have been justified in shooting the teenager, but another officer signaled that he thought he could take down the threat with a flying tackle, which he did, suffering a small wound from the perps knife in the process.

i heard the chief minimized the severity of the situation that took place last year, but if you talk to any of the police officers on duty they said it could've been a tragedy and an all out riot. not sure the residents who live around the park are too happy that holtz wants to continue with the fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by SabreTooth View Post
    i heard the chief minimized the severity of the situation that took place last year, but if you talk to any of the police officers on duty they said it could've been a tragedy and an all out riot. not sure the residents who live around the park are too happy that holtz wants to continue with the fireworks.
    The great majority of residents attending the meeting expressed support for continuing the fireworks and fourth celebration. Most spoke up to being back the rides for the kids and more food outlets, particularly food trucks. Only one person expressed dismay at continuation of the celebration.

Your claim that the residents who live near the park are not happy about continuing the fireworks is the opposite of what was expressed by the residents who attended the meeting designed to address those issues.

The officers I have spoken with about the matter all agreed with Chief's Zacks assessment, and the statistics over the past 5 years bear out that except for the commotion during the fireworks, last year was one of the least eventful for the police.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    The great majority of residents attending the meeting expressed support for continuing the fireworks and fourth celebration. Most spoke up to being back the rides for the kids and more food outlets, particularly food trucks. Only one person expressed dismay at continuation of the celebration.

Your claim that the residents who live near the park are not happy about continuing the fireworks is the opposite of what was expressed by the residents who attended the meeting designed to address those issues.

The officers I have spoken with about the matter all agreed with Chief's Zacks assessment, and the statistics over the past 5 years bear out that except for the commotion during the fireworks, last year was one of the least eventful for the police.

What was the reasoning for the one person expressing dismay at continuing the event?

Do you know if the people at the meeting were the residents who live near the park?

What would would be hurt if the event was cancelled?

Let the people who want to see a fireworks show go to the Buffalo Water Front instead?

I'm just curious... Do all the officers working the event get time and a 1/2 or more seeing it's a July 4th holiday? Including any town employees who are at the event for cleanup or what not?

Or is the event handled by volunteers except for security issues?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    What was the reasoning for the one person expressing dismay at continuing the event?

Do you know if the people at the meeting were the residents who live near the park?

What would would be hurt if the event was cancelled?

Let the people who want to see a fireworks show go to the Buffalo Water Front instead?

I'm just curious... Do all the officers working the event get time and a 1/2 or more seeing it's a July 4th holiday? Including any town employees who are at the event for cleanup or what not?

Or is the event handled by volunteers except for security issues?
    The one person who wanted to change the fireworks to Losson said she didn't feel safe at Town Park. She didn't express the basis for not feeling safe other than the large group teenagers that were in the park.

All of the participants were members of the Town Park Community Association - it was a regular monthly meeting - thus all are residents in and around the park (well Diane was there - I don't think she is a member.)

Everyone who spoke in favor of keeping the celebration expressed the same themes - tradition, not letting the gangs determine what activities occur in the park, and keeping the park a center piece of the town for people who aren't afraid of others just because of skin color.

A few suggested getting Buffalo to put on a fireworks display where the Buffalo gangs could go instead of coming to Cheektowaga.

And several people said they enjoyed hearing the cheap seats people living in other parts of the town complain about the cost of the celebration so just to spite them they wanted the celebration to continue and if possible increase the cost by hiring police officers from nearby municipalities to supplement out own police force.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    WHo caught this on facebook?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/476176799152569/

Jim Mietlicki

I am quite disappointed after attending last evening's public meeting concerning issues surrounding the events around Town Park that occurred after last year's fireworks display on the 4th of July. In the aftermath of the problems, it was represented that a meeting would be held to hear the positions of residents around the park who were impacted by what was a serious situation that resulted in property damage along Ridge Park Avenue which could have been far worse. The meeting notice indicated a video presentation would be shown which apparently was from cameras in the immediate area of the problems that evening. This, however, was deemed to be too lengthy to show. It became quite apparent that the decision has already been made so just accept that we who are most directly impacted can hold out breaths and hope for the best come July.
    So there was going to be a video but then it cancelled?

nogods
    After watching the presentation I have a better appreciation for the lesser of two evils choice the Chief had to make.
    So what was the presentation if the video was not shown at the meeting?

Comment from Facebook

Sandy Budzinski Rakowski The decision was already made. The 4 th will go on as usual. For us living in the neighborhood just have to deal with it. Let's pray for rain. No matter what we said the decision was for us. Let them live on our streets on the 4th and see the real activities.
    nogods
    The great majority of residents attending the meeting exhibited support for both Chief Zack, his police officers, and keeping the fourth celebration in Town Park. One woman said it should be moved to another location because she did not feel safe attending the fourth celebration in Town Park with her young children.
    So that person was the only one who brought up that it should be moved?

Facebook comment
    Jim Mietlicki I said "enough" and stopped going down there about 3 or 4 years back when some idiot kid threw a string of firecrackers into a crowd of people. While the police did a good job in last year in the face of a situation that was bad but could have been so much worse, there are only about 70 of them to try to control things. The situation seems to worsen every year. I fear that for what could come next. This was once a family centered event with the worst problems being a few drunks relieving themselves on someone's lawn. But things have changed and not for the better. Its not 1976 and the Town needs to face up to that fact.
    So our town needs to supply about 70 officers to babysit the event?

Beside officers are there any other town employees working the event?

Now seeing it's a holiday is it time and 1/2 or double time? What is the cost of labor to the property/business owners for this event? Just curious. If I was Supervisor safety and cost would be considered for any event.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    If there was a video that was supposed to be shown at this meeting can someone get it to me? I will put it up on youtube and we'll check it out.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Did you catch this comment on that facebook page?

Jim Mietlicki

Got a flyer in the mail from the Town yesterday..."resident" mailing...indicating that recycling is up by 16%. I would think its a good thing, but why spend the money send everyone in the Town a piece of paper that will end up in the recycling bin? Do they want to get it up by 17%?
    How many mailers were sent out? And what could the cost have been?

If there was a video that was supposed to be shown at this meeting can someone get it to me? I will put it up on youtube and we'll check it out.
    There was a slide presentation of the park cameras and other pictures (the gun and knife, and spreadsheets on the crime statistics over the years.) Towards the end of the presentation, which had taken longer than expected, the chief was going to show the video from the car cam of two officers responding to an alleged fight which was NOT occurring, but the video was about 10 minutes long and instead of further delaying the public comment period as it was apparent many people wanted to ask questions or make comments, the chief simply described what the video depicted and the reason why he included it in his presentation.

I don't recall Mirtlicki opening his mouth at the meeting - maybe he felt intimidated by all the other residents who were in favor of continuing the fourth of July celebration. He seems fearful of going to the park or leaving his home despite the fact the great majority of his neighbors are not fearful of leaving their homes or going to the park. Someone, who I couldn;t see because a few people were standing in front of me waiting their turn to speak, asked Jerry if he took his kids to the fourth. That might have been Mirtlicki. jerry replied that his entire family, including his grandchildren, were at the celebration and would continue to do so in the future.

Sandy Budzinski Rakowski may have been the lone woman who said she was afraid to take her kids to the fourth of julky celebration - I don't know her and I don't know the name of the woman who made that comment. As for her claim that the decision "was already made" I don't think she understands how our government works. The council has not yet decided whether to cancel the celebration, but it was very apparent that the great majority of residents attending the meeting want the celebration to continue and Mary, Jerry and the Chief also stated that they didn't think it should be cancelled. Perhaps Ms. Rakowski is confused about the difference between members of a legislative body expressing their opinions about an issue and the legislative body voting on the issue. and perhaps, if she was the woman who said she was afraid, she is just discouraged because her fellow residents are not also afraid of whatever it is she is afraid of.

Maybe she and Mirlicki can keep each other company during the fourth and go to someplace nice and white for the fourth.

Did you catch this comment on that facebook page?

How many mailers were sent out? And what could the cost have been?
    How else to you reach residents? Not everyone has FaceBook.

b.b.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I understand why our town mails items out. I'm curious how many are actually sent out and at what cost.

When elections roll around having that cost could be helpful.

I understand why our town mails items out. I'm curious how many are actually sent out and at what cost.

When elections roll around having that cost could be helpful.
    When elections roll around having the knowledge that our town leaders take a proactive approach to solving problems by informing and educating the public about solutions like recycling would be very useful.

Cheektowaga Bee poll re fireworks at town park - 80% yes, 20% no.

During the winter carnival or festival or lit penguin jerking off event, or whatever it's called at Losson Park, fireworks are used, so it's ok in the winter but not in the summer? Let's face it , July 4th at Losson = no blacks. It's not the right venue though, not enough room.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    During the winter carnival or festival or lit penguin jerking off event, or whatever it's called at Losson Park, fireworks are used, so it's ok in the winter but not in the summer? Let's face it , July 4th at Losson = no blacks. It's not the right venue though, not enough room.
    Yes, there is a significant difference for forest fire hazards in the winter than in July. and the fireworks in Losson for the winterfest are a nothing compared to those for the fourth.

People with melanophobia can go elsewhere to celebrate the day our founders decleared "that all men are created equal"

Thread Information