Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The latest BAD idea to come out of the Erie County Legislature

The latest BAD idea to come out of the Erie County Legislature

Today I read a story in the Buffalo News that left me totally aghast, and sent me to my computer to make sure this became an issue in voters’ minds come November. It seems as though Kathy Konst (5), Cynthia Locklear (9), and Michele M. Iannello (10) lost faith in the democratic process, and are proposing term limits for all members of the Legislature. Citing too many old, fat-cat incumbents in Old County Hall, they are proposing changing the current format of uncapped, two-year terms in favor of three four-year terms.

The article goes onto detail how the proposal was reviewed by The Charter Review Commission, who looked at study after study before deciding not to recommend the required change to the County Charter. Term limits are a bad idea for democracy because we the people should be free to elect whomever we popularly decide upon. Not too mention, four years is way too much time for our representatives to sit in office, veiled from their constituent’s reproach. There is a reason that Representatives in the House face election every two years, and that is so we, the voters, can hold them accountable.

The members of the Erie County Legislature have not shown to us, the electorate, that they can be trusted twice as long as they are now. Assuming a Legislator wins re-election twice, and fulfills their twelve years of service, does that not mean the constituents are happy with their service and would probably prefer their old Legislator to a new and unknown one? Democracy is about choice, and anything that impedes that choice has no place in our society.

The article concludes by noting that while the Charter Review Commission does not endorse the changes, at least one other embattled Erie County politician does: County Executive Joel Giambra, a man who’s last bright idea was to legalize narcotics. Unless Giambra is sharing the contents of his little plastic baggies with the electorate, Western New Yorkers have no reason to support the last BAD idea to come out of the Erie County Legislature.

Contact your representatives and tell them NOT to support this subversion of democracy:

Kathy Konst
    41 Central Ave
    Lancaster, NY 14086
    Tel: (716) 601-3030
    Email: konstk@erie.gov

Cynthia E. Locklear
    12 School Street,
    Upper West Seneca, NY 14224
    Phone: 675-8817
    Fax: 675-8818
    Email: locklear@erie.gov

Michele M. Iannello
    92 Franklin Street,
    4th Floor Buffalo, NY 14202
    Tel: (716) 858-6757
    Email: iannello@erie.gov

For those of you that missed the aforementioned article, it can be found at http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20060613/1041987.asp

I think posting this ONCE in the Erie County section would cover it!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Wow.. I deleted all the MULTIPLE posts.. Yes once is enough.

Thumbs down hmm

these newbee's Kathy Konst (5), Cynthia Locklear (9), and Michele M. Iannello (10) act like the old guard suggesting term limits of 12 years in stead of term limits of 8 years....politics the money must be good.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Only if there's a recall law put in.

I think 12 years is a pretty good limit to set; we want to keep lifelong politicians out, but we still want any good politicos we stumble across to be able to have a productive legislative career. Anything around ten years would satisfy me... the President has a max of ten years and it's a long enough time to "leave your legacy". If you're such an amazing legislator that you couldn't possibly cram all of your awesomeness into 12 years, then run for CE.
    Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

I'm all for it! Go Gang Go!

I have contacted them and gave my support!

TimeOut Chair
    Today I read a story in the Buffalo News that left me totally aghast, and sent me to my computer to make sure this became an issue in voters’ minds come November. It seems as though Kathy Konst (5), Cynthia Locklear (9), and Michele M. Iannello (10) lost faith in the democratic process, and are proposing term limits for all members of the Legislature. Citing too many old, fat-cat incumbents in Old County Hall, they are proposing changing the current format of uncapped, two-year terms in favor of three four-year terms.
    to my knowledge cindy locklear has always been one who supports term limits. while i dont agree with a 12 year limit, term-limits to that of the american presidency is appropriate. 8 years is more than enough time for a politician to (quote) "get things done". things would be much more productive if pols didnt have time to hob-knob with others. term limits would prevent A LOT of "favors".

8 vs 12

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock
    to my knowledge cindy locklear has always been one who supports term limits. while i dont agree with a 12 year limit, term-limits to that of the american presidency is appropriate. 8 years is more than enough time for a politician to (quote) "get things done". things would be much more productive if pols didnt have time to hob-knob with others. term limits would prevent A LOT of "favors".
    My preference was for 2 four year terms or 3 three year terms. It was pointed out to me that 3 year terms would end up costing taxpayers money because they would result in off year elections when no other seats would be up. Agreeing to the 3 four terms was a compromise to get "something meaningful on the table". It was also suggested to me that this proposal may have more appeal to more members of the Legislature and have a better chance of getting thru.

As to the Original Poster's animosity: Keep in mind that even if this did get through the Legislature it is SUBJECT TO THE VOTE OF THE PEOPLE. A change to the Charter like this requires a referendum vote.

It is amazing to me, how many critics are out there that dont want any reform concepts to get to the People for final say. These critics want to control the Peoples' Voice and Opportunities to decide the issues of governance. How democratic is that?

"Who are these guys?"~~ Butch to Sundance.

[QUOTE=It is amazing to me, how many critics are out there that dont want any reform concepts to get to the People for final say. These critics want to control the Peoples' Voice and Opportunities to decide the issues of governance. How democratic is that?

"Who are these guys?"~~ Butch to Sundance.[/QUOTE]

While I fully support the people having the final say, particularly in matters such as term limits and charters, you have to step very carefully. The problem in todays instant information society is the lynch mob mentality that can prevail.
    A good example is the way the Buffalo news created a mob frenzy in the case of former Griffin Parks Commissoner Robert Delano. No one would deny that Delano was a petty bureacrat who deserved to be investagated , charged and convivted. But in hindsight was he the criminal master mind the news played him out to be? Did he deserve to be charged with racketerring? Hardly.
    But it was what the crowd wanted. And they wanted it because they were swayed to by the media. This 'Ox Bow Incident' type of thinking can be turned on a dime by a media with a mission such as the News in the case of the Griffin Administration. Presently the same seeds are being sown by the local media and the Buffalo Niagara Business Partnership, with some success, against public sector workers and organized labor. They are pulling out all the stops to make the latter the new flavor of the week.
    I think you need to consider the fact that the public has the opportunity to voice their opinion every election, when the designate people like yourself to carry their trust into the legislative chambers. Granted, in some cases they need to be given the opportunity to decide certain issues by a popular vote, but in the end that is what they pay you for.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.....

Now I think Iv'e heard it all! Citymouse defends BOB DELANO! That is a good one.

Bob Delano was charged with racketerring because he was ......... ENGAGED IN RACKETERRING! WITH OTHER PEOPLE! IT'S CALLED A CONSPIRACY TO DEFRAUD THE TAXPAYER!
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

But Citimouse; The 'crowd' = 'the electorate'

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse
    Presently the same seeds are being sown by the local media and the Buffalo Niagara Business Partnership, with some success, against public sector workers and organized labor. They are pulling out all the stops to make the latter the new flavor of the week.
    I think you need to consider the fact that the public has the opportunity to voice their opinion every election, when the designate people like yourself to carry their trust into the legislative chambers. Granted, in some cases they need to be given the opportunity to decide certain issues by a popular vote, but in the end that is what they pay you for.
    My goodness Citimouse, thankyou for your post. You make my point very well.

Because term limits can challenge the stranglehold that 'organized labor' has over its politicians, it is by its very nature a concept that organized labor will oppose, and here you acknowledge that by 'connecting the dots'. THANKYOU.

The whole point of term limits is to address the unfair advantage special interests can exert over incumbents who are relying on their financial support and who are thus weakened by their need to curry favor.

As to your second concept. "Term limits" is a reform measure that I campaigned on. Thus, it is my belief that I am committed to fulfill my platform pledges. It is also my conclusion that the voters who supported me, agreed that this initiative should be promoted and they wanted it. So, I am doing 'what they are paying me for'.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    12 is too long... 8 max.....

WITH RECALL PROVISION to make the elected officials think twice when representing our community.

I think one term and out would be the best idea. No time and money would be wasted on re-election.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat
    I think one term and out would be the best idea. No time and money would be wasted on re-election.

When I have a job, and I actively seek to find another one, I'm lucky if I can find a couple hours out the day in that pursuit.

How is it that politicians can hold an office and find the time to dedicate month after month of all day activity seeking to retain or acquire another elected position?

e.g. A current governor running for presidency.

How difficult and time consuming can a job be that you can take a sabbatical while still supposedly performing it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information