Thread: Extra services

It should be up to the residents of the Village - alone - on whether or not to dissolve the Village. We like it. As a matter of fact, we choose to pay extra taxes to get the extra services we get here, and nobody else contributes. Why should anyone else care that we have voted onto ourselves something that recognizes that the character within the Village is entirely different than the surrounding Town?
    When I moved here I was fully aware that there was extra tax for Village services. I chose it and fell I'm getting my money's worth. Another may disagree with me, but then they're free to make their own decision.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    May I ask what those "extra" services are that others are not receiving?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    May I ask what those "extra" services are that others are not receiving?
    Sewers, water in alot of cases........I do not know Alden Bob personally, but he is right that for the most part that Village residents pay more willingly. However, the Village benefits from quite a bit of residual from the town. Yes, Tops and McDonalds have chosen to relocated outside of the village. However, other businesses still get not only town resident patronage, but from the prisons, nursing home, etc.
    As far as the town goes, some people do have water, but I am unaware of anyone that has sewer.
    IMO: Both the town and the village need to work together to attract commerce.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AldenBob View Post
    It should be up to the residents of the Village - alone - on whether or not to dissolve the Village. We like it. As a matter of fact, we choose to pay extra taxes to get the extra services we get here, and nobody else contributes. Why should anyone else care that we have voted onto ourselves something that recognizes that the character within the Village is entirely different than the surrounding Town?
    When I moved here I was fully aware that there was extra tax for Village services. I chose it and fell I'm getting my money's worth. Another may disagree with me, but then they're free to make their own decision.
    I'd like to know more about "extra services" in Alden. Because you're the one who started this topic, please clarify your statement. I'd like to know because I have clients who are interested in Alden. Besides, it's good to know for what local residents are paying in different communities. Thank you.

Yes tell me about those extra services that one would pay more taxes for?
    Please get back to us before I finish this bottle of Scotch.

The following services are unique to the village of Alden, as opposed to the town:
    1. Public Sewer
    2. Sidewalks
    3. Sidewalk snowplowing {I think they still do this, or at least in the "downtown" area.
    4. Leaf pickup {they use a big vacum truck, in the township the leaves must be bagged}

The village also has public water {their own private village well} while much of the Township is served by Erie County Water.

Any disolution of the village had better be viewed cautiously in that it could end up the Townfolk will end up paying more once the village debt load is addressed, the village fire company reorganized and the minimal administrative overhead is eliminated and the transfer of service is located to the Town.

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
    I'd like to know more about "extra services" in Alden. Because you're the one who started this topic, please clarify your statement. I'd like to know because I have clients who are interested in Alden. Besides, it's good to know for what local residents are paying in different communities. Thank you.

You are the real estate "professional"...isn't it your JOB to know the difference?

So, if the Village ever did merge with the Town, about how much would the residents of the Town save in taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    So, if the Village ever did merge with the Town, about how much would the residents of the Town save in taxes?
    There would be absolutely NO tax savings for a Town resident. Dissolving the village would only affect a village resident, with any potential savings they may receive experienced in the elimination of their tax. Village items like water, sewer and more than likely sidewalks would be paid for by the village property owners through special taxes. Overall fire taxes {townwide} would probably be increased in that a part of the Alden fire department is paid for through village taxes and that funding would be moved to the town. Any outstanding village debt {equipment, sewer and or water bonds} would also still need to be paid for by village residents. It can be expected that there would probably be some village service cuts, village administration and courts would be gone and more than likely most of the DPW. Although a few DPW workers may be retained to operate the village sewer plant and water facility, as well as processing water bills, or this could be contracted out by the Township.

So as you can see, eliminating the village is a lot more complex than downsizing government boards.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So as you can see, eliminating the village is a lot more complex than downsizing government boards.
    No it isn't.. You just do it. It isn't rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    No it isn't.. You just do it. It isn't rocket science.
    for the sake of argument, why would i as a town resident want to merge with the village if it meant my costs {taxes} would increase?

sure you can just do it, post a sign at the village line that says "going out of business" that's the easy part, it is the implications that is the rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud B Boomer View Post
    The following services are unique to the village of Alden, as opposed to the town:
    1. Public Sewer
    2. Sidewalks
    3. Sidewalk snowplowing {I think they still do this, or at least in the "downtown" area.
    4. Leaf pickup {they use a big vacum truck, in the township the leaves must be bagged}
    As for sewers and sidewalk, being that they're already there, I suppose you wouldn't lose them.
    As for sidewalk snowplowing, I'm sure they don't do every sidewalk, probably just the few blocks along the Business District. So....it's really just a few property owners that are getting the benefit of that. And, I've kind of had a problem with municipalities that snow plow some sidewalks.

And, as for leaf pickup - sure that's a nice little plus, but is it really worth paying extra taxes for?

Lightbulb Info link for "Reforming Government"

State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo has a great website, tons of taxpayer friendly and useful info heres a direct link CLICK HERE

" Under a new state law developed by Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, citizens who wish to reorganize and modernize their government through dissolving or consolidating local governments now have a uniform way to do so. Below you will find simple instructions on what you need to do and how the process works.

I. Voter Initiated
    In order for a citizen, or ‘Elector Initiated’ consolidation to occur it must be first approved by referendum. In order to get on the ballot you must begin with a petition. The new law requires signatures of 10% or 5,000 registered voters within the effected municipality, whichever is less, to initiate the process (for municipalities with a population less than 500, the law requires signature of 20% of the registered voters).

Once you have secured the necessary signatures they must be properly filed and examined by the town or village clerk. Once your petition is approved by the appropriate clerk, a notice will be issued and a referendum will be held. The referendum must be held between 60-90 days after the clerk makes his or her determination.

Most importantly, the referendum is only approving the idea of dissolution or consolidation, and an actual plan will have to be formulated by the local government body itself, with input from the public. If the voters disapprove of your proposal, there is a mandatory four-year moratorium before you can try again. If it is approved, you are ready for the next step.

CLICK HERE for more info - when your done use your "Return or back button" to come back to Speakupwny

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Thread Information