Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to run for councilman of Lackawannas 1st Ward?

How to run for councilman of Lackawannas 1st Ward?

How do you go about running for councilman in Lackawannas first ward? I have no idea where to begin? Im not a politician or have no experience in this area. But what I do know is that I have lived in Bethlehem Park for almost 9 yrs with little improvment in this area or in Lackawanna in a whole. Current councilwoman Haxton has done nothing for this ward except grab media headlines that sheds a bad light on Lackawanna and does no good for the people she is supposing to be serving as an elected official. Therefore I am seeking info on how to run for councilman of Lackawannas first ward.. Any information that anyone could provide would be very helpful..

Did you go to the last council meeting?

No I didnt..This is something that I have been toying with for awhile..However, i will attend the next one...I guess im looking for information on where to start...

I too am interested in getting involved. I am not backing Ms. Haxton by any means. I would need to be more informed about her to have an educated opinion. I am, however trying to find out more. I did attend the council meeting. It was interesting as well as entertaining.

When everything came out about Haxton and back taxes, etc., just like most everyone else I thought it was inappropriate of her. I can, however undestand that a person can do their job even in the midst of financial problems, I know I have. What she did say that I know holds true is that she is being targeted by the City. I also know for a fact that the City of Lackawanna's Code Enforcement Officers misrepresent the codes and abuse the power of their office, mostly based on Mayor Polanski's orders. Read some of my posts and you'll know where I stand on the subject.

At the council meeting Ms. Haxton was treated quite badly. Jaworski was unbelievably hostile to her as were most of the council. They did not behave in a professional manner at all. Jaworski, yelled a lot his face was bright red and he kept banging his gavel and pointing it at Haxton. He acted like a child to say the least. Schiavi (4th ward) and Kulczyk (3rd) and city attorney, Petricca barely stayed awake. Haxton was the only one who asked questions about expenditures. The responses to most of her questions from the council was "I don't know". They didn't have answers about anything, but worse than that, they didn't even want to check some things out. No matter what you think of Haxton on a personal level, she is succeeding in pulling people into the meetings, which will in turn cause more involvement from the citizens. And Lord knows that's what this city needs.

About running for council, we need change in Lackawanna. If you're not involved in a political party all the better as far as I'm concerned.

The funny thing she is a neighbor of mine.. we both live in bethlehem park...And i must admit i did vote for her...But i thought being a resident of beth park she would push for change...And you are correct we need change in this city..It has become an eyesore especially ridge road from route 5 to south park..As I stated before I have no experience at all in politics but you dont need experience to see change is needed from the top right on down...

I'm not saying she should remain councilperson, but from what I observed at the meeting she does push for change. The problem is the rest of the council pushes against her. They've turned the meetings into their own personal boxing ring, it's a circus.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How many council people are there?

You can work as a group to take the seats over couldn't you?

If you control all the seats you can try to cut expenses because you can all vote for what the group wants.

Quote Originally Posted by tiredofbs
    I'm not saying she should remain councilperson, but from what I observed at the meeting she does push for change. The problem is the rest of the council pushes against her. They've turned the meetings into their own personal boxing ring, it's a circus.
    Not saying she is a horrible person...What has she done for the first ward?? Her negitive press coverage doesnt reflect good on the city. The thing is she is not the only one...She may even try but she doesnt have the backing...I believe she has lost all credibility that she did have..

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    How many council people are there?

You can work as a group to take the seats over couldn't you?

If you control all the seats you can try to cut expenses because you can all vote for what the group wants.
    There is one council person for each ward, total of 4, the council Pres. Jaworski, the City Attorney Petricca. There were two other representatives there, but they did not introduce themselves (I think they should for newcomers), one was the comptroller or from that office and they other, I'm guessing from Public works. Total of 8 plus the City Clerk.

Take over the seats? Is that possible? Any suggestions on how we can find out about that? As far as public participation, there was maybe 20 citizens and I'm being generous in my count.

Quote Originally Posted by nscar68
    Not saying she is a horrible person...What has she done for the first ward?? Her negitive press coverage doesnt reflect good on the city. The thing is she is not the only one...She may even try but she doesnt have the backing...I believe she has lost all credibility that she did have..
    You may be right. I'm all for change.

Do you know how long there current terms last to? I believe its till 2009 or 2010 not sure...any idea??? And how hard can it be?? In the Independence Party primary for 3rd Ward councilman in Lackawanna, Francis Kulczyk defeated Lawrence Murphy, 32-30 only 62 total votes..

Quote Originally Posted by nscar68
    Do you know how long there current terms last to? I believe its till 2009 or 2010 not sure...any idea??? And how hard can it be?? In the Independence Party primary for 3rd Ward councilman in Lackawanna, Francis Kulczyk defeated Lawrence Murphy, 32-30 only 62 total votes..
    What a turn out, pitiful. The term is 4 years not to exceed two terms. When the current terms are up, I'm not sure either. You could call the City Clerks office to ask.

The ONLY way you are going to change ANYTHING in the first ward is if you want to jump in Polanski's pockets. Andrea has tried and tried ESPECIALLY for the GOOD of the first ward, but she is continually beaten down. Memos, phone calls, office visits, questions etc. on getting things done for her ward...they will NOT respond to her for ANYTHING!!!! WHY you ask????? Because she asks questions and IF they answer them, the answers would not benefit them or reflect nicely on them. The correct answers would really show how corrupt this administration really is. I hope IF you run you do not end up like the rest of the A** kissing shmucks already sitting there.Their puppet strings are going to tangle......eventually!!!

I agree to a certain extent...The problem I have is that there are only 4 council members and a council president...There is no reason not to be heard...You have to stand there month after month and not take being ignored. From what i can tell is that the politics in Lackawanna has been the same fpr as long as anyone can remember. The only way we will see change is if all 4 wards pull together and overhaul the current administration..From the top with mayor "pick your pocket" polanski to the Animal control officer Freddy " fast shooting" Grasso..Nothing will change with just talking about..We need action in our city...
    Additionally, many towns and cities in this region have begun groups to assemble to discuss current issue and call for a change..Does Lackawanna have such a group? If so I have yet to hear about it.. Tuesday the councilman of the 3rd won the primary 32-30 votes.. Only 62 people from that ward took the time to vote.. Why is that?? Are the people happy with the current state of Lackawanna? Or do they just not care?
    As far as Andrea Haxton goes I applaud the effort she has made.. She did attempt to make a change in this city. But for whatever reason, wether its her own personal problems or she is not respected by fellow council members either way she is not getting the job done and must be replaced.
    So unless we come together as voting members of this community and speak with one voice and call for change, enjoy what the city has to offer you as a homeowner, business owner, parent or student becuase it will remain the same for along time to come..

That's why we need a new mayor too. I haven't done the "Networking" that is needed to run for office, but this is a prime example as to why I haven't. No one currently in politics in Lackawanna is worth networking with, they are all part of the problem, not part of the solution. We need to oband together as a group, and make changes in the local government as a group. We need people like us to run for office, and GET OUT AND VOTE. I see how many people are at the voting booths when I vote, and I have to say it is pitiful. My polling place is at the High School, and I am lucky to see 3-4 other people there when I go to vote. Lackawanna is big enough I should see 15-20 easily, and that is why there isn't any change, that, and the lack of good candidates to vote for. It is like voting for the lesser of 2 evils, rather than voting for the best person for the job. We need good candidates, regardless of party affiliation, and we NEED turnout at the voting booths.
    Your blatant hostility will not win you helpfulness, nor has the information you have provided been adequate to gain a good response from Tech Support

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information