Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sheldon Silver, New York Assembly Speaker, Faces Arrest on Corruption Charges

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Does Cuomo show income levels like Silver did from referral fees?

Jail Sheldon( if found guilty) . the sad part is if he ran again he would win.

All that really matters is what can be proven in a court of law.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Another way of looking at it...Bruno's conduct never was criminal and he was prosecuted under a "law" that superseded the bounds of the Constitution. The second trial was nothing but political payback.
    Following this viewpoint shouldn't the people convicted under the same standards that were serving time at the time have been released? Were their records expunged if they had already served their time? Did they file claims for false imprisonment and wrongful convictions?
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    Following this viewpoint shouldn't the people convicted under the same standards that were serving time at the time have been released? Were their records expunged if they had already served their time? Did they file claims for false imprisonment and wrongful convictions?
    I don't know whether they appealed. Bruno did and he was exonerated.

I don't know whether they appealed. Bruno did and he was exonerated.
    What if they appealed and their verdict was upheld on appeal prior to the change in the law?
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    What if they appealed and their verdict was upheld on appeal prior to the change in the law?
    They still have remedies available to them. I'll leave it to you to figure out what they are. My only point was that Bruno was acquitted after not 1, but 2 trials. You said he was only acquitted after the law was "changed" to benefit him. In fact fellow poster Buffy credits you with the claim that lawmakers changed the law to benefit Bruno. I asked her to have either you or her please identify the group of lawmakers that made the change that benefitted Bruno and when that change was made. So far no word from Buffy...so how about it DT...which body of lawmakers was it that changed the law to benefit Bruno? and when was the change made? And also please provide all the proof you have to establish that the "change" was made to benefit Bruno since that's your contention.

How refreshing! Someone actually bothered to track down the truth. Might've been better to do that first instead of just throwing out there that the law was changed by some group of anonymous and unidentified lawmakers to benefit Bruno (thereby allowing you to tarnish every lawmaker without a stitch of proof). You're right...the law was unconstitutional as written and not as applied. It was the supreme court that decided. Doubtlessly many of you believe Bruno had them in his pocket. The problem is that that law had been criticized across the political spectrum for years because of its vagueness. And Bruno wasn't a party to the case that declared the law unconstitutional. And as I recollect the Skilling in the case worked for Enron and wasn't a govt employee. Bruno was tried a second time based on baseless charges for which there was no evidence. The US atty was quite clear in the first trial that he lacked the proof to convict Bruno on those charges or Bruno would've been so charged in the first case. Unfortunately, there is almost no recourse for those so persecuted, er, prosecuted.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Does Cuomo show income levels like Silver did from referral fees?
    Doesn't tie him to anything, but I hope Cuomo's next. http://nypost.com/2015/01/26/bharara...ondo-building/

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    Doesn't tie him to anything, but I hope Cuomo's next. http://nypost.com/2015/01/26/bharara...ondo-building/
    Genoobie, I'm with ya on this one although for different reasons. I think the article addresses a situation where specific properties were identified for a tax break in the legislation that extended an existing program. Seems that those connected with property ownership made major contributions to Il Duce.

US Attorney Preet Bharara is investigating the massive tax breaks granted to Midtown’s luxury One57 condo building, where a mystery buyer just paid a record $100 million-plus for the duplex penthouse, sources told The Post on Sunday.

The now-disbanded Moreland Commission panel on public corruption was reported to have been investigating the sweetheart tax abatements scored by developer Gary Barnett of Extell Development. Bharara took over that probe when he subpoenaed the firm’s records after Gov. Cuomo unexpectedly shut down the commission last year, sources said.

The One57 tax abatements are estimated to be worth at least $35 million.

One57’s tax abatements were granted under the “421-a” program, which was highlighted in last week’s criminal complaint against Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, who is charged in a $4 million corruption scheme. He was accused of using his power over development incentives to steer business to a law firm run by his former Assembly counsel.

The “Billionaires Row” high-rise on West 57th Street (left) was among five luxury developments that got 421-a tax breaks authorized by state lawmakers in 2013.

A Bharara spokesman declined to comment. A representative for Extell didn’t immediately respond to an e-mail on Sunday evening.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    Cuomo has to step down based on his action of discontinuing the Moreland Commission. Apparently this was going on and he decided not to stop the investigation. Correct?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Genoobie, I'm with ya on this one although for different reasons. I think the article addresses a situation where specific properties were identified for a tax break in the legislation that extended an existing program. Seems that those connected with property ownership made major contributions to Il Duce.
    Call it what it is. Bribes to have a tax break extended.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wonder why Alan Bedenko has not written up a blog post on this issue.

He posted this up

http://buffalopundit.com/2015/01/28/...-of-the-union/

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Cuomo has to step down based on his action of discontinuing the Moreland Commission. Apparently this was going on and he decided not to stop the investigation. Correct?
    Cuomo's hands are soiled with Silver's machinations. Hopefully Morelle will emerge as the the stronger of the three men in the room - he is a good staunch liberal.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information