Thread: Review what other cities do

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Review what other cities do

What ever Terry does it needs to be better than what is currently out there. At least in my opinion. Better doesn't mean more expensive.

Faulconer steps into stadium, convention debate

By Lori Weisberg7:10 p.m.Jan. 12, 2015

San Diego’s hoteliers have never wavered in their belief that the city’s convention center must be expanded on the waterfront, a stand that is no less firm today, even after a court ruling last year sank their plans.

As Mayor Kevin Faulconer prepares to take the stage Wednesday night to outline his civic blueprint for the coming year, he is expected to address two high-profile initiatives — a new football stadium and expanded center — that will require broad consensus among powerful forces who so far have shown little willingness to join hands.
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/...rgers-stadium/

Tony Fracasso - Admin

San Diego’s hoteliers have never wavered in their belief that the city’s convention center must be expanded on the waterfront, a stand that is no less firm today, even after a court ruling last year sank their plans.

As Mayor Kevin Faulconer prepares to take the stage Wednesday night to outline his civic blueprint for the coming year, he is expected to address two high-profile initiatives — a new football stadium and expanded center — that will require broad consensus among powerful forces who so far have shown little willingness to join hands.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    What ever Terry does it needs to be better than what is currently out there. At least in my opinion. Better doesn't mean more expensive.

By Lori Weisberg7:10 p.m.Jan. 12, 2015

Where would you rather go for a convention in February or March: Buffalo or San Diego?

The fact is that expanding/building an enlarged convention center anywhere in the country is simply throwing good money after bad. The number of conventions and convention attendees have remained static for about 20 years while the number of convention centers have multiplied, driving down individual convention center revenues because of competition. Of course the hoteliers want a bigger convention center since bigger conventions will boost their business without them having to pay for it since the taxpayers will pick up the tab (and the hotels will expense their own higher tax bills).
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    Where would you rather go for a convention in February or March: Buffalo or San Diego?
    How many events or conferences have you actually organized? I have personally been on the organizing team for several smaller events (~300ppl) and I can tell you that weather, while a factor is not THE only factor.
    1. Buffalo is not, nor will it ever, compete with San Diego, Anaheim or Las Vegas. Buffalo competes with spaces that are less than 300,000 sq feet.
    2. Not every conference can select locations that requires the attendee cost like San Diego. Things like hotel and food costs matter to organizers and their attendees.
    3. Not every conference WANTS to be in the sun. How many hockey tournaments are held in Vegas? A smaller convention space can work in concert with cold weather events.
    4. Other 'cold' cities find success in having conventions or events year round.
    Speaking to the last point, here is the biggest misconception regarding comparing cities for conventions. Most uninformed people consider all of the amenities of a city when they compare but the reality is for the majority of convention center visitors their experience is defined by a very small parameter around the venue itself. For example, while the San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park and SeaWorld are huge draws to San Diego they don't nearly see the foot traffic from conventions that some expect. To go to those places would take an additional day on a schedule and most convention attendees do not stack on extra days.

What matters is what an attendee can do within walking or a short distance via cab or public transportation from their hotel and the convention venue. When someone walks a trade show floor for 7 hours the last thing they want to do is spend 30 minutes going to dinner. They usually eat around their hotel or around the venue space.

Now I am not saying that a brand new convention center in Buffalo will work but rather that it can work if done correctly.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    If a new convention center was part of the venue what would you do with the old one. I will look at some old maps i have of the city to see what the street layout was before it was built

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    If a new convention center was part of the venue what would you do with the old one. I will look at some old maps i have of the city to see what the street layout was before it was built

That really depends on who builds the new one....IF that were to ever happen.

Thread Information