Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster Wal-Mart update

I hope the outer structure is more colonial

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna View Post
    Last weekend I visited the new Walmart Super store in Hamburg NY. While it was hard to find a parking space in the huge parking lot. I was amazed at the number of shoppers inside the store looking for bargains.
    If the new Walmart store the are staring to build in the Lancaster NY area is anything like the one in Hamburg it will be a winner.
    and not like the box it is known to design. Walmart brings crime. It happened in Clarence. Drug deals and car break ins. Sorry, although it has benefits, it has harm.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    I may be the only one here who feels this way - and I'm setting myself up to get torn a new one --- but I don't think traffic is such a big deal in Lancaster

Yeah, Transit and William gets a little back up. But guess what, this isn't a sleepy little town anymore.
    I think Harris Hill is annoying during the evening rush - sometimes you have to wait through a light cycle. What is that, 90 seconds?

And, to those of you who moved into the Town in the past few years, and bought houses in new subdivisions -- if you folks complain about traffic -- so help me, I will crawl through the your computer screen, and strangle you.
    i don't think it will be and issue for the traffic as much as the crime that wal-marts bring. That area is done and it will cost the taxpayers lots of money. wal mart @ 2055 Niagara Falls Blvd, Amherst, NY in 2002 it cost taxpayers $35,000,in 2009 it tripled take the walmart in cheektowaga you don't want to take the family X-mas shopping on fri, and sat nights.

In May of 2004, the group Wake Up Wal-Mart released a national study on Wal-Mart and crime, entitled “Is Wal-Mart Safe?” This report analyzed the official 2004 police incident reports (i.e. calls for police service) at 551 Wal-Mart store locations. The study found that in 2004 police received 148,331 calls for service for the 551 Wal-Mart stores analyzed, averaging 269 reported police incidents per store. For just the 551 stores sampled, there were 2,909 reported police calls for “violent or serious crimes,” including 4 homicides, 9 rapes or attempts, 23 kidnappings or attempts, 154 sex crimes, 550 robberies or attempts and 1,024 auto thefts. Based on the number of reported police incidents for the sample, it is estimated police responded to nearly 1 million police incidents at Wal-Mart in 2006 costing taxpayers $77 million annually.

goog luck lancaster PD

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Smile

[QUOTE=cheekman;574203]i don't think it will be and issue for the traffic as much as the crime that wal-marts bring. That area is done and it will cost the taxpayers lots of money. wal mart @ 2055 Niagara Falls Blvd, Amherst, NY in 2002 it cost taxpayers $35,000,in 2009 it tripled take the walmart in cheektowaga you don't want to take the family X-mas shopping on fri, and sat nights.

In May of 2004, the group Wake Up Wal-Mart released a national study on Wal-Mart and crime, entitled “Is Wal-Mart Safe?” This report analyzed the official 2004 police incident reports (i.e. calls for police service) at 551 Wal-Mart store locations. The study found that in 2004 police received 148,331 calls for service for the 551 Wal-Mart stores analyzed, averaging 269 reported police incidents per store. For just the 551 stores sampled, there were 2,909 reported police calls for “violent or serious crimes,” including 4 homicides, 9 rapes or attempts, 23 kidnappings or attempts, 154 sex crimes, 550 robberies or attempts and 1,024 auto thefts. Based on the number of reported police incidents for the sample, it is estimated police responded to nearly 1 million police incidents at Wal-Mart in 2006 costing taxpayers $77 million annually.

I love when people start throwing around statistics like they are the be all end all. For these 551 Wal-Marts, where are they located? Are they in bad crime areas or suburbs? What are the stats for other stores in those areas? No-one ever mentions that. I really hate statistics as they only try to prove one thing without letting you know what the truth is about every thing. Why would a Wal-Mart store promote crime anymore than a Target or K-mart. Newsflash!!! Big parking lots are places where people can do things without being noticed. If anyone thought that crime wasn't bad already near the Cheektowaga Wal-Mart then you haven't been there in quite a while. The Galleria Mall is so bad that they restrict times when kids can be there without an adult, is that Wal-mart's fault? I wouldn't go to that Wal-Mart for anything, it's disgusting, but why? Is it just Wal-mart or is the area, That area was bad before Wal-Mart was even there, even the Thruway Mall was getting bad, It's why people stopped going there. The Wal-Mart on Transit stays pretty clean. i will say that larger parking lots do make crime easier, but it's all parking lots, not Wal-Mart alone. Where are the studies on the other stores in relation to crime. HMMM.

It still makes no sense having Walmart in already congested William Street area. Unfortunately, Town of Lancaster board will not stop development until all green is turned to concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by ichingtheory View Post
    It still makes no sense having Walmart in already congested William Street area. Unfortunately, Town of Lancaster board will not stop development until all green is turned to concrete.
    Are you suggesting that a big box store should be in a less congested area? Say somewhere more rural?

Or, are you saying that big box stores shouldn't be anywhere?

Roll call...Murray...present

Great, another Wal-Mart...bring out the NIMBY's!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Roll call...Murray...present

Great, another Wal-Mart...bring out the NIMBY's!!!!

I can't wait. I'll be there with my cut off jean shorts, mullet, flannel shirt jacket and work boots. Hope to see you there Murray.

Are you suggesting that a big box store should be in a less congested area? Say somewhere more rural?

Or, are you saying that big box stores shouldn't be anywhere?
    Some where more rural makes more sense to me. I would never shop Walmart no matter where they have a store. Just my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    I can't wait. I'll be there with my cut off jean shorts, mullet, flannel shirt jacket and work boots. Hope to see you there Murray.
    Roll call...murray...present

Why so dressed up?

Oh boy,

wherever there is Murray, Henry Hill follows..........Did I say there was a full moon last night?

Some where more rural makes more sense to me. I would never shop Walmart no matter where they have a store. Just my own opinion.
    Think about what you're saying --- the people who live in rural areas (say Alden, Marilla, etc.) live there because they want to get away from it all.

And, you want to put a WalMart there??

Quote Originally Posted by amamo View Post
    Transit and William will be a nightmare corner like it is already. Trying to get unto Transit from William or Losson if lucky three cars can turn left.
    Listening to people complain about Giza and good old boys here in Lancaster government how about everyone here in Lancaster vote them out in the next election instead of complaining do something.
    I agree! We gave it our best shot this last election. Numbers were close and we plan on winning next time around, believe me.

Think about what you're saying --- the people who live in rural areas (say Alden, Marilla, etc.) live there because they want to get away from it all.

And, you want to put a WalMart there??
    If I had my way, I wouldn't have any Walmart stores anywhere.
    I guess I am just jealous Alden has a responsible town board while we do not here in Lancaster.

I may be the only one here who feels this way - and I'm setting myself up to get torn a new one --- but I don't think traffic is such a big deal in Lancaster

Yeah, Transit and William gets a little back up. But guess what, this isn't a sleepy little town anymore.
    I think Harris Hill is annoying during the evening rush - sometimes you have to wait through a light cycle. What is that, 90 seconds?

And, to those of you who moved into the Town in the past few years, and bought houses in new subdivisions -- if you folks complain about traffic -- so help me, I will crawl through the your computer screen, and strangle you.
    I have lived here over 20 years and have watched non stop development. I wish town board would stop before we have no green space left. Look at Elma, still a beautiful "green" town.

If I had my way, I wouldn't have any Walmart stores anywhere.
    I guess I am just jealous Alden has a responsible town board while we do not here in Lancaster.
    Alden was right to turn down the WalMart (actually it never got to that stage, but they would have turned it down if it had.)

A WalMart in Alden would have changed the fabric of the entire community. A Walmart on Transit Road will not have the same effect.

Anyway.....the "should WalMart be there" argument is truly so old. It was decided years ago. We may as well be discussing whether or not the Tops warehouse should be allowed on Genesee Street.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information