Thread: Lancaster Organizational appointment resolution dispute

Lancaster Organizational appointment resolution dispute

At last night’s Town of Lancaster Organizational Meeting council member Donna Stempniak moved resolution #1 to appoint various individuals to administrative positions and boards effective January 1, 2015. The motion was seconded.

At this point Supervisor Dino Fudoli also made a motion to amend the omnibus resolution; one that he found encompassing. Fudoli declared he would like to remove Mr. Dan Beutler and substitute back in current Zoning Board of Appeals member Mr. Robert Thill. Supervisor Fudoli asked for a second to his suggested amended resolution. He received none.

Supervisor Fudoli then requested the name of Kenneth Graber be deleted from appointment to the LIDA and his name replaced with that of current LIDA member Frank Falkiewicz; who like Thill had requested reappointment by submitting a letter declaring so. Fudoli asked for a second to his motion for amending the appointment and once again received none.

Fudoli then declared it disturbed him to see individuals being placed in positions displacing individuals proven to be more qualified and experienced. “Mr. Falkiewicz has been an LIDA member for some time and has been in the banking business for twenty years. I can’t understand putting someone on the LIDA that has no business experience. Could you please explain to me why this change is being made being considering Falkiewicz’s experience in banking?”

Council member Donna Stempniak: Number one is that last year you seemed upset when a banker was put into that position. Number two is that I believe it is a good idea to put someone on the IDA who has some knowledge of the school district budget so that they would understand how the IDA would affect school taxes.

Fudoli: The IDA is not a playing ground. It is not a place for a school board member to learn the job. For your information, for three years that I have been supervisor…

Stempniak: You asked my opinion.

Fudoli: The fact is that we have given the school district $6 million since I have been supervisor and to my knowledge school taxes have gone up every year. The LIDA has never produced a project that has produced a single student. To put a person on the LIDA that is the head of the school board, that’s been given $6 million from our businesses, and yet has raised our taxes every year without a single service provided with that $6 million. That is irresponsible. I can’t imagine what this board would do if we that money.

No offense to Mr. Beutler. I know your name has been up before. I just found Mr. Thill’s resume more complete and I didn’t get to see the resume submitted by you. A person did tell me that you served on the ZBA in the Village of Depew in a past administration and have experience. I just believe Mr. Thill is more qualified based on seeing his resume and never seeing yours.

Town Clerk Johanna was then commissioned to take the roll vote. Council members Aquino, Stempniak and Abraham voted yes for resolution approval. Supervisor Fudoli and council member Ron Ruffino voted no.

Robert Thill addresses the town board

Supervisor Fudoli – honorable members of the town board:

Years ago as a child my mother taught me two things I shall never forget:

To always tie my shoes, and
    To always say “thank You”
    Mother you can be proud. I have checked my shoes and they are tied.
    I am here tonight to say “thank you”.

I've had the pleasure of working with the town board for 51 years (36 years as the elected town clerk of Lancaster and 15 years as an appointed member of the zoning board of appeals.

We've served together as friends – we've served as colleagues – advancing the betterment of the governance of the Town of Lancaster and the Villages contained therein.

I recently submitted an application and resume for continuance of my service on the zoning board and to the people of the Town of Lancaster, however, another has been chosen in my stead.

I accept your decision without anger, without hostility, without vengeance.

Your choice of Dan Beutler as my replacement is a good choice – I've know Dan for years - I've witnessed his love for the Village of Depew and his concern for responsible town government - evidenced by his attendance at town board meetings and his vocal participation as “a person addressing the Town Board” - Your choice of Dan clearly demonstrates to me the desire of the Town Board for the needed diversity and inclusiveness of the citizens of the Village of Depew in town governance.

As my service to the Town of Lancaster draws to a close - I would like to share with you the town board, the folks here present and to the citizenry not present via the free press, my feelings:

They are feelings of gratitude, appreciation, and thanks.

Gratitude: to you Mark for your phone call a few weeks ago informing me of your support of my continuance in town service but your inability to garner the support of Donna, Ron, and John in that endeavor. That was very kind of you to give me that courtesy call. I am Grateful.

Appreciation: to you, Donna, Ron and John for your offer to me, conveyed by Mark, to accept an appointment to the Industrial Development Agency - to allow me to continue my service to the Town of Lancaster for a few more years. I appreciated that.

I told Mark that I have no expertise in that area, that the appointment of one more qualified than I would better serve the interests of the community. My talent lies not in industrial development - but in possessing a deep intricate knowledge of the workings of every board, commission, bureau and department of the Town of Lancaster - and a masterful knowledge of the Chapter 50 of the Code of the Town of Lancaster as it relates to planning and zoning.

Gratitude to Mark - Appreciation to Donna – John- and Ron

That said, - now thanks

I wish to acknowledge the likes of Stanley J. Keysa Sr., Leo J. Weimer, David Sisti, Stanley J. Keysa Jr, Lucian Greco, and Bob Giza, all of whom extended to me the courtesy of unlimited access to their ear and allowed me to assist them in the governance of this municipality. All fine men possessed with a sincere desire to better the Town of Lancaster. It was my true pleasure working with each one of them regardless of their political affiliation. The same can be said of all the council members, Democrats and Republicans alike, that I had the pleasure of serving with over the years.

A Special Thanks: to two incredible individuals who impacted my early career – two public servants who taught me the “Art and the Science of Governance”.

The first is deceased Councilmember Artel J. Metz, Johanna' father, who in spring of 1963 met with my father and asked me to join him on the ticket as the Democratic candidate for town clerk. I said yes - and the rest is 51 years of history. Artel J. Metz was an incredible person - a gentleman’s, gentlemen - loving husband and father - community leader – businessman, visionary, a master craftsman in the art of comprised. I learned so much from Artel.

The other is Dominic J. Terranova, the Lancaster Town Attorney. Dominic came to my office on my first day as Town Clerk. He handed me a copy of the Town Law, the Public Officers Law, the Agricultural Markets Law, the General Municipal Law, the Highway Law, and the Local Finance Law and said, “Here read this. I've tabbed and underlined the laws governing powers and duties that apply to your office, read them, learn them, follow them to the letter with no exceptions and they and I will keep you out of trouble”. “If you can't read and need help give me a call” and walked out the door. Rough as he may have of been in the beginning, Dominic turned out to be my valued mentor and dearest friend. Yes, both Dominic and his successor Richard Sherwood, did indeed keep me out of trouble. My Special thanks to both of these fine mentors.

Lastly Thanks:

To my beloved citizenry, living and deceased in the villages of Lancaster & Depew and the Township outside the villages, in placing your confidence in me over the years, and allowing me the opportunity to serve this community.

The love and generosity of the citizenry of the Town of Lancaster to me is overwhelming; it is beyond measure. For that I thank you as I have always acted in the best interests of the community as a whole for better governance.

Better Governance – Better Governance

I am well aware of why my service to my people of the Town of Lancaster has been terminated.

I admit here tonight to a political mortal sin – the mortal sin of reaching across the aisle – a Democratic reaching out to a Republican - aiding and abetting the enemy – to reaching out to Supervisor Elect Dino Fudoli immediately after the electorate chose him for office - teaching him the history of the Town and Villages therein - his duties and responsibilities as set forth in the Town Law, the General Municipal Law, the Local Finance Law, the Public Officers Law - to arm this man with the knowledge and necessary skills needed to govern this municipality. I admit guilt to this act.

I admit to other nefarious acts – to the act of attendance at the oath taking ceremony of Republican Town Justice Anthony J. Cervi – to the act of attendance at the oath taking ceremony of newly elected Republican Town Justice, Jeremy J. Colby.

My friends, these nefarious acts of attendance at these celebrations serve a legitimate municipal purpose – my presence speaks loudly to the citizens a clear message - “I hear you”- “you have chosen this person to serve you” “ I accept your choice” “I honor your choice and this person with my presence”

With that said, “Donna, John, Ron, your actions this evening do not hurt me and I bear no malice, they hurt the people of Lancaster, the people you have sworn to serve”

“I pray you learn from this experience”

“In closing”

“May God Bless my beloved of Lancaster”

And,

“While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
    Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free,
    Let us be grateful for a land so fair,
    As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer.
    God, please bless America
    Land that I love
    Stand beside her, and guide her
    Through the night with a light from above” Thank You

Thill commended by attendees

Knowing Mr. Thill throughout his years of service as both Town Clerk and ZBA member, several attendees paid homage to him. Integrity, morality, credibility, knowledge and strict following of municipal law, and always looking out for the best interests of the community were the common theme of the comments.

One should read the resume he submitted to the town when reapplying for the ZBA position. It is posted on another thread.

Ah politics where more often than not perception is reality.

If you have read the first post, then you have to be confused by all the hullaballoo.

You have to wonder why council member Mark Aquino contacted Mr. Thill to tell him that he could not garner the votes to keep him on the ZBA. Yet when supervisor Fudoli called for a second to amend the resolution to appoint Mr. Beutler, Aquino sat silent. Fudoli and council member Ron Ruffino voted no to the resolution appointments. Was Aquino less than truthful to his good friend Thill?

One has to then question why council member Ruffino did not second Fudoli’s resolution to amend the appointment resolution for ZBA position and to reappoint Thill. He voted no. Was it for altruistic reason, because it was a throwaway vote as three votes already affirmed approval, or the fact that it is openly known he dislikes Beutler?

As the lone Republican on the town board Supervisor Fudoli is cut out of the appointment process. However, he did reach across the aisle and offered his opinion that the community would be best served if the individuals currently serving in those positions would be reappointed. He was rebuffed and for political reasons.

Mr. Thill made it well known that it was his audacity to reach across the aisle and support and/or recognize Republicans for being the candidate(s) best qualified to bring good governance to the town. He paid the price for pissing off the hierarchy of the Democratic Party. In today’s world where an individual of Thill’s character reaches out in the best interest of their community and its governance is rare, this is a travesty.

As for you Mr. Beutler, it is an honor to know you for so many years and to be able to call you friend. You possess the same character positives as Mr. Thill and have served on the ZBA in the Village of Depew. However, I am sure you will agree with me that Thill got the shaft. As myself, I am sure the residents of Lancaster will see your appointment as most fitting.

Lastly, that leads to the question of who did Mr. Falkiewicz (another Democrat) piss off?

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Lastly, that leads to the question of who did Mr. Falkiewicz (another Democrat) piss off?
    Fialkiewicz was one of the proponents in taking the LIDA in a different direction.

Here's a statement from July 2012 from another thread- http://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sho...ther-direction

Fialkiewicz: “How this thing started was that IDAS were created for true industrial development, not retail. By nature, retail is ineligible for IDA consideration. When local IDAS developed it was with the clear understanding that retail was not eligible for IDA consideration. And then enhancement zones were created by the five town boards. The enhancement zones appear to cover all the retail areas. This made retail eligible for IDA consideration. That does not mean this board has to approve them; this policy. This policy is bad for other retail businesses. If you change this enhancement zone policy, I guarantee you will see fewer applicants because no one wants to go through the process of making applications knowing they would be turned down.”
    In the OTHER BUSINESS section of today's LIDA agenda, it states, Requests from Village of Lancaster Community Development Corporation and the Village of Depew. Wonder what their "wants" are?

I hope Mr Thill will run for a town board position.

Georgia L Schlager

Very disappointing that the 4 amigos have treated Mr. Thill this way. It is VERY obvious that they run this town based on their own agenda, not in the best interests of the community. Congratulations to Dan. I know he will serve the residents well.

I cannot wait to see how the media covers this story. Lee, thank you for reporting the facts.

Thread Information