Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Flipped!

Unregistered
    I hope Buffalo Pundit doesn't mind that I quote him from his blog here. He detailed some points that were discussed by the panel afterward:

by Buffalo Pundit
    [b]The city is getting $10 million from the state to fund the demolition of 1,000 homes (at about $10,000 each, according to City Inspector Tracy Krug).

Buffalo Housing Court has jurisdiction over properties in the City of Buffalo, and people within Erie County. When a flipped house is cited for violations, the Judge schedules a trial and tells an out-of-state owner that he can appear, send a lawyer to appear, or ignore it, in which case the inspector testifies unchallenged. The fines are assessed and reduced to a judgment, which can then be enforced anywhere (full faith & credit).

There ought to be a phone number accompanying eBay listings for Buffalo properties so that prospective bidders can find someone to go out and actually inspect the property before the sale is complete.

Judge Nowak believes that the transfer of quitclaim deeds should be accompanied by a 30-day “cooling off period”, which would give eBay purchasers an opportunity to inspect the property after the bidding is through and to cancel the deal if the property isn’t up to snuff.

The anti-flipping taskforce scans eBay for Buffalo listings, and will communicate them to the judge and inspection services. An inspection will be performed, and the buyer cited for any violations. In some cases, both the seller and buyer are cited for them, and sometimes that can be very helpful because the Judge can get both parties to get together and make repairs or pay for demo.

City Councilman Nick Bonifacio introduced legislation that would require out-of-state purchasers of real estate in Buffalo to put up a $10,000 bond to fund any needed demolition of the property. That legislation was sent to committee, where it remains now. There would be issues of constitutionality and feasibility (what company would issue that?), but Tracy Krug insists that such a requirement would be very helpful to the City and its taxpayers.
    http://buffalopundit.wnymedia.net/archives/3109

Thank you Alan

Thumbs up

Flipped Premiere

Wow. What a great night for activism in Buffalo.

Over 200 people came out for two showings of the Nickel City Media and WNYMedia.net presentation of Flipped; a documentary about the practice of unscrupulous houseflipping on the east and west sides of Buffalo.

In case you haven't yet seen the trailer for the movie:

It is an exceptionally powerful documentary that was directed by the extremely talented Marc Odien...who may have found his calling as a documentary director and narrator. It paints a pretty bleak picture of life on the East Side of Buffalo but, I am heartened by the dedication of Michelle Johnson and Broadway Fillmore Alive as they work to save their beloved neighborhood.

After the screening of the movie, a panel discussion was moderated by BuffaloPundit.

Flipped Premier Panel

From left to right: Buffalo Housing Court Judge Henry Nowak, City of Buffalo Housing Inspector Tracy Krug, JM Reed of Polis Realty, Marc Odien, Michelle Johnson, and Pundit.

The discussion focused not on the causation but rather, what can be done to mitigate a problem that is eating away at historic Buffalo neighborhoods. Ideas of demolishing vacant homes, requirements for bonds on properties purchased, landbanking, etc. were all tossed about. What I took away from it is that this problem has no silver bullet solution. There is no legislative remedy that is easy to implement and cost efficient to manage...especially with the current city council standing in the way in office. The answer is a combination of factors...increased funding for the Mayor's anti-flipping task force, vigilant community awareness, activist intercession with buyers and sellers of vacant properties on the web, and arrests of repeat offenders of Buffalo housing laws and regulations. Perhaps following the lead of other cities which combatted house flipping...

The east side is a historic and culturally rich part of our city's past and through the tireless efforts of community activists like Michelle, Chris Byrd, and Mike Miller...the future is very bright indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock
    but, yeah, we're all adults.... "Woodstain" ....proves that point very well.
    I agree. It's perfect. Like a stain on a board.

Checking in, comrade woodstock:

1. Everyone involved with making the film and arranging the premiere did a great job!

2. You got salsa, Ragin?

3. I really liked Judge Nowak; he seemed to exude passion. He brought up a good point about the city auction clearing liens off of titles and being something that we need to preserve.

4. This is a big problem and it can wreck people's lives for trying to do the right thing. There was the story of the woman who bought some property not knowing what she got herself into and then lost $180,000 fruitlessly trying to fix her property up. Juxtapose that with the people on eBay selling the property over and over with no repercussions....
    Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

Please check out the slideshow Chris Byrd put together of the premiere on either www.broadwayfillmorealive.org or www.buffalopundit.com
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Parkside
    It is an exceptionally powerful documentary that was directed by the extremely talented Marc Odien...who may have found his calling as a documentary director and narrator. It paints a pretty bleak picture of life on the East Side of Buffalo but, I am heartened by the dedication of Michelle Johnson and Broadway Fillmore Alive as they work to save their beloved neighborhood.
    Of all the forums and discussion panels I've attended, this one was probably the most powerful. The dedication and commitment Michele J. has shown is truly inspiring and it's an issue that I'm seriously considering getting more actively involved with. That is, if they don't mind a nimby from Westchester County hanging around

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by crlachepinochet
    2. You got salsa, Ragin?
    I sure did. It arrived at the bar moments after you left

Ragin,
    We would welcome you with open arms )
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information