Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrett vs Gainer: Will ReUse survive?

Unregistered

Garrett vs Gainer: Will ReUse survive?

I am a 'member' of ReUse but have not been able to learn who is on the board & did not know about these meetings.

Why are ReUse supporters on SUWNY so silent?

This is a life & death battle for the survival of an exciting new anti-poverty program on the East Side that has gained widespread support. It is indeed ironic that Harvey Garrett fired Gainer for alleged misconduct when I repeatedly watched blatant misconduct by Garrett while I was a WS 'activist'. Indeed his 'misconduct' sped my departure from Bflo . . . as he is now possibly fueling Gainer's departure from Bflo as well, which would be a tragic loss.

I am challenging those folks who use ReUse as their SU 'signature' to publicly talk about what is going on at ReUse.

This is indeed an issue about how 'to make Bflo a better place', the mission of SpeakUp . . . not a time for silence.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/774114.html

Board of Buffalo ReUse faces removal
    Founder’s backers call special meeting

By Mark Sommer, NEWS STAFF REPORTER, Updated: August 25, 2009, 7:45 AM
    Supporters of Buffalo ReUse’s deposed founder, Michael Gainer, have called for a special meeting of the membership next week to oust the board of directors. That action, if successful, could lead to Gainer’s return to the organization he started nearly three years ago, but also put the organization on a collision course with others who have helped sustain the organization financially.

Members began receiving letters in the mail Monday announcing the Sept. 3 meeting. The agenda calls for a vote to remove the board and the installation of an interim board until the annual meeting Sept. 22.

Harvey Garrett, who was brought into Buffalo ReUse in March as chief executive officer and to replace Gainer as executive director, said he and the board plan to invite members, staff, funders and others in the community to a meeting prior to the special member meeting. “We hope to find a path that doesn’t put the organization at any further risk or in a legal quagmire,” Garrett said.

Chris Smith, a Buffalo ReUse founding member, said the drive to remove the board triggered by Gainer’s firing underscored a concern that the board was moving away from its commitment to use green deconstruction and salvage to combat poverty. Buffalo ReUse sells the materials through its Re- Use store on the East Side and also uses the work to promote neighborhood development and job creation for inner-city youth.

“The organization is about more than buildings. It’s about a community mission to address issues of social justice and communitywide disinvestment,” Smith said. He was one of a group of nearly 20 people, several of them founding members, who met at a hastily called meeting Wednesday, two days after Gainer was fired as operations manager. A special meeting can be called when 10 percent or more of the membership requests one in writing, Smith said. Eleven of the approximately 35 members signed the letter.

Garrett said the board is exploring how Gainer could remain a part of Buffalo ReUse. “The board has been meeting with Michael individually in hopes of finding a way to work together going forward that doesn’t jeopardize funding and compliance with our nonprofit status.”

Gainer blamed his dismissal on poor relations with Garrett and the board, while acknowledging he had made “lots of mistakes,” including poorly managing Buffalo ReUse funds.

Most of the funding came from the John R. Oishei Foundation, which gave Buffalo Re- Use $200,000 in unrestricted funds for 2008 and 2009, as well as additional dollars that included $10,000 to pay for a “personal mentor” for Gainer. Buffalo ReUse also has received grants from other foundations, including the Baird Foundation and Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo.

The board issued a statement concerning Gainer’s termination last Tuesday, alluding to unspecified problems that included protocols that weren’t followed and a failure to respect the chain of command. Stephanie Simeon, the board chairwoman, also said at the time that specific details surrounding the firing were not being discussed “out of respect for the integrity of [Gainer’s] professional career and his identity.”

msommer@buffnews.com

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Kern,

Some of the people actually work very close with reuse and are probably just keeping their mouths shut for now.

Unregistered

What Brown & crew do whenever there is a crisis?

Some of the people actually work very close with reuse and are probably just keeping their mouths shut for now.

Tony:

Isn't that what Byron Brown & crew do whenever there is a crisis?

Does it work? Inspire public confidence?

Where did the principle "open & accountable . . " go?

The great thing about democracy and non profits is, if you dont like them you are not forced to support them.

If you feel what has already been said isnt enough to quench your thirst for gossip then you are welcome to not be a member.

Gainer made a statement. Garret Made a statement.

End of story.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Unregistered

Steven: you on the ReUse board?

Steven:

That attitude is deeply anti-democratic . . I hope you are not on the board!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by kernwatch View Post
    Tony:

Isn't that what Byron Brown & crew do whenever there is a crisis?

Does it work? Inspire public confidence?

Where did the principle "open & accountable . . " go?
    No it doesn't inspire public confidence but it works for most of the elected officials in NYS.

I have said what I can on previous posts.Yes there are many SUWNY people who are also members of BR.And we all agree what is most important is that BR not only continues but grows.Therefore we are all working together to make sure that happens.
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Are you really trying to compare COB with a non-profit community organization?
    Is there really a "transparency" or "open and accountable" mandate @ Buffalo ReUse as there is for the COB?

You can bully, I mean challenge!, all you want, but
    1. You are not a FOUNDING member and therefore not entitled to any information.
    2. I'm sure you will find out what you need to know in as timely a fashion as possible along with everyone else.

Steven is a founding board member.
    www.buffalobroad.com

Steven:

That attitude is deeply anti-democratic . . I hope you are not on the board!
    Your "democratic" right is to not be a member. You are more than free to exercise that right. If you just want gossip under the guise of democracy I guess thats your right as well.

Read what you posted. Both sides made statements, both sides said what they wanted to say. Anything else is just gossip.

If you feel you deserve a personal statement then I would suggest you contact one of the parties in what you posted. However as in any democracy they also have rights. One of those being to ignore you.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele J View Post
    Steven is a founding board member.
    But Kern is not.

No, he can not vote on anything regarding BR.
    www.buffalobroad.com

I must say that I was pretty disappointed in what happened with Gainer. Not because I know Gainer or Garrett and what happened. But because I love the project and thought it was possible that it would fizzle.

However, now that I have learned that people like Michele, Steven and Chris Smith are involved, I feel much better about ReUse going on as strong as ever.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    Margaret Mead

Unregistered

Turf battles?

I guess I should have kept quiet?!

Asking questions about very important ES anti-poverty issues at ReUse is not permitted by "founding members".

What are my rights to information as one of an apparent 35 or so "ordinary members"? I may not vote in anything? Why would I join & pay the $5? It smacks of oft-abused "$2 membership" in WSNHS!

Michele, as you know I am deeply concerned about the choice of Harvey Garrett to mediate & resolve "growing pains" at an incredibly fast-growing & dynamic agency.

Did you share with the board your firsthand knowledge of Garrett's highly unethical (& likely illegal) "misconduct" in the past that made him a very risky candidate for this important assignment?

What is publicly known about his leadership at WSCC? Is there a budget, staff, office, "MISSION"? He deposed founder Jill Lemke from WSCC, who left Bflo in despair, about 5 years ago. Did that "coup" grow the endeavour? Can it survive without Garrett?

Do you agree that Garrett is suited to run as ReUse CEO for 'community hero' in the current Time Warner contest?

Poverty in Bflo is too critical an issue in Bflo to be about turf . . . or who was there "first".

Is ReUse really "my way, or the highway" . .or consensus and openess as described yesterday on the ReUse website?

Before I asked questiosn there was silence on SUWNY. How to have responsible debate on SU "to make Bflo a better place"???

I guess I should have kept quiet?!

Asking questions about very important ES anti-poverty issues at ReUse is not permitted by "founding members".

What are my rights to information as one of an apparent 35 or so "ordinary members"? I may not vote in anything? Why would I join & pay the $5? It smacks of oft-abused "$2 membership" in WSNHS!

Michele, as you know I am deeply concerned about the choice of Harvey Garrett to mediate & resolve "growing pains" at an incredibly fast-growing & dynamic agency.

Did you share with the board your firsthand knowledge of Garrett's highly unethical (& likely illegal) "misconduct" in the past that made him a very risky candidate for this important assignment?

What is publicly known about his leadership at WSCC? Is there a budget, staff, office, "MISSION"? He deposed founder Jill Lemke from WSCC, who left Bflo in despair, about 5 years ago. Did that "coup" grow the endeavour? Can it survive without Garrett?

Do you agree that Garrett is suited to run as ReUse CEO for 'community hero' in the current Time Warner contest?

Poverty in Bflo is too critical an issue in Bflo to be about turf . . . or who was there "first".

Is ReUse really "my way, or the highway" . .or consensus and openess as described yesterday on the ReUse website?

Before I asked questiosn there was silence on SUWNY. How to have responsible debate on SU "to make Bflo a better place"???

Mr. Kern.

From what you posted:

Members began receiving letters in the mail Monday announcing the Sept. 3 meeting. The agenda calls for a vote to remove the board and the installation of an interim board until the annual meeting Sept. 22.

Harvey Garrett, who was brought into Buffalo ReUse in March as chief executive officer and to replace Gainer as executive director, said he and the board plan to invite members, staff, funders and others in the community to a meeting prior to the special member meeting. “We hope to find a path that doesn’t put the organization at any further risk or in a legal quagmire,” Garrett said.
    If you are so concerned then I would suggest you make the meeting(s), since you say you are a member.

No one is going to give you a personal explanation of anything. Make the meeting with the rest of the members. Being Kern does not give you special rights and privileges other members don't have.

The answer to all your questions is simple. Make the meeting, like the rest of the members. Why did you even start this thread, when there is a meeting a week away to address your concerns?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information