Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $2,000 a yr in School taxes = 0 school supplies from the schools?!?!?!

Question $2,000 a yr in School taxes = 0 school supplies from the schools?!?!?!

My two neighbors who both have school aged kids in the house must supply EVERY single piece of paper, pencil pen, even kleenex for each child... something like 8 boxes of kleenex for the younger ones?

I am paying upwards of $2,000 a year, for school taxes, multiply that by 100,000... thats alot of damned money....

I do have a major question and I want a REAL answer.

When I went to school, 15 years ago, all the was required were the basics, the school provided the rest. However today, it is expected that each parent spend 100-200 per child, on pur school supplies...

If this the case WTF am I paying ever increasing school taxes?

What happened, that our schools STOPPED supplying school supplies?

To me, this seems like a total sham, and we the tax payers, the people of this school district, are getting shafted.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Pensions.

Salaries.

gubment schools. go figure.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    My mom used to work as an aid in a public school. She said they used to have a supply closet that would have the items kids used. What ever happened to schools having that stuff? Wouldn't they get a deal buying it bulk?

your now paying for nanies, as parents don't do **** for their kids anymore.

Your paying for aids, i can tell you when you and I went to school we had 0 class room aids and now thier seems to be one per class.

Your paying for the 16K per kid for the Buffalo City schools.

Your paying so people like Super Williams in Buffalo will protest against charter schools because thier not part of NYSUT.

Your paying for 1 principal and 3 vice principals vs the 1 we had when we went to school.

Your paying for underfunded STATE and Federal mandates, that are making schools worse.

Your paying for the UNION Dues.

Your paying for the pensions, that teachers and staff can work for 20 years, retire, start collecting and then go to work in another school district and resume their pay rate.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Your paying for the UNION Dues.
    Why are we paying to do that? Why not have each employee send in a check when it's due? The union would really see who wanted to support them.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    My mom used to work as an aid in a public school. She said they used to have a supply closet that would have the items kids used. What ever happened to schools having that stuff? Wouldn't they get a deal buying it bulk?
    I have a friend who is a teacher.
    She says she provides many of the supplies the kids need out of her own pocket.

The school also has a "school store" where students can purchase some of their needed supplies at a discounted rate.

I don't recall schools supplying anything but books

I don't recall the schools supplying anything except old course books. You purchased your own pens and pads and notebooks at Kresge's or the school's supply cart (tended by kids who were your classmates - only opened before first bell). There is a lot to gripe about today for sure - but that is no excuse for not getting your school supplies on sale at CVS or Walgreens for next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    I don't recall the schools supplying anything except old course books. You purchased your own pens and pads and notebooks at Kresge's or the school's supply cart (tended by kids who were your classmates - only opened before first bell). There is a lot to gripe about today for sure - but that is no excuse for not getting your school supplies on sale at CVS or Walgreens for next to nothing.

next to nothing? You do realize that sometimes they require a calculator that costs $100 ? or did you not know that? That is one item.

Why buy the paper folders for 10 cents that have to be replaced 10 times when the plastic ones last? Then there are the 2 inch binders ..... they are not cheap at all.
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Just what do my tax dollars pay for?/

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin View Post
    I have a friend who is a teacher.
    She says she provides many of the supplies the kids need out of her own pocket.

The school also has a "school store" where students can purchase some of their needed supplies at a discounted rate.
    My daughter is a Buffalo school teacher..and spends over $400 a year of her OWN money on her students for school supplies.
    How many professionals spend their own out of pocket $$ ...and NOT ever get reimbursed?

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    My daughter is a Buffalo school teacher..and spends over $400 a year of her OWN money on her students for school supplies.
    How many professionals spend their own out of pocket $$ ...and NOT ever get reimbursed?
    Yeah but it's a tax write off for here, so she get's a lot of it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Yeah but it's a tax write off for here, so she get's a lot of it back.

you dont get 100% of write offs back, you know this.

And anyway - a teacher should not have to do that and I should not have to supply a calculator that is over $100 bucks - - end of story ... I should not have to supply an 8 oz bottle of hand sanitizer or tissues. Paper, pens notebooks. WHY do they need all these things?

The normal schools give you a huge list ... heres what the alternative ed in my town needed....

10 pens
    10 pencils
    1 2inch binder
    a pack of paper

ok - so they take all the same classes, graduate with the same regents diploma yet that all that they need? How is this possible?
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Exactly,

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    My two neighbors who both have school aged kids in the house must supply EVERY single piece of paper, pencil pen, even kleenex for each child... something like 8 boxes of kleenex for the younger ones?

I am paying upwards of $2,000 a year, for school taxes, multiply that by 100,000... thats alot of damned money....

I do have a major question and I want a REAL answer.

When I went to school, 15 years ago, all the was required were the basics, the school provided the rest. However today, it is expected that each parent spend 100-200 per child, on pur school supplies...

If this the case WTF am I paying ever increasing school taxes?

What happened, that our schools STOPPED supplying school supplies?

To me, this seems like a total sham, and we the tax payers, the people of this school district, are getting shafted.
    I agree. When I was in school, much longer than that ago, we bought nothing. Now with this 200 dollar back pack program for each child~~~within the income limit, well why don't they put the supplies back in the school. With all the children that got this 200 dollar taxpayer surprise I'll call it, because the surprise is that the money actually went to a trip to Walmart.
    But this way all the children would benefit and it sounds more cost productive.

The board of education is wasting our money. We could do a better job in funding supplies. Hey maybe do a better job in the lunch programs too. This is really getting out of control. I wonder what the gift will cost us next year?

Quote Originally Posted by CAugust View Post

ok - so they take all the same classes, graduate with the same regents diploma yet that all that they need? How is this possible?
    You just highlited the BIGGEST waste in NYS educational system. Only one other state has a "regents" board and NO colleges care about it. It's just another Liberal govt beaurocracy, that cost tax payers BILLIONS a year!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information