Thread: Why I won't vote for Mickey Kearns

Why I won't vote for Mickey Kearns

While I have stayed away from expressing any opinion in this race I have been paying close attention and think it's time. I will not be voting for Mickey Kearns in this primary. I hope others look at the facts and agree with me.
    There are are a number of reasons. First as a South Buffalo resident,I feel that Kearns hasn't been an effective councilman. I can't think of one thing he has done for this community, other than to slam it in his campaign literature (which I will get to later). The other two representatives we have on a local level State and County are much more visable and have contributed to quality of life issues, such as adult education in Schroders case for one example. I haven't seen this from Kearns. In fact it seems he lacks the ability to work with others in office. Hopefully that will be brought out in the next South district council contest.
    I don't think you can use the excuse his hands are tied politically on the common council. He is in the majority there. But I haven't seen his leadership skills there. Brown was a much more effective council person for his Masten district when he represented them then Kearns has proven to be for the South district.
    I am also sick of the guilt by association nonsense that is so prevelant in politics. From Obama and Ayers to Brown and Stokes. It's stupid. I do think it was low of Kearns associates to bring up this parking thing a week before the primary create a lot of controversy in the press and then start to back track when it was revealed that it was a lot of nothing. That Stokes was dealt with in the legal system like everybody else. Same fine, same treatment, as the other fourteen who did what he did. The only difference was he may have spoken to the mayor. But we don't even know if that's true because Rivera now says he didn't actually hear it from any police officer but got it "through the grape vine".
    I find it ironic that the same people who complain here that the cops contracts are ridiculous are not supporting Brown. The only reason the PBA is going against him is because they don't have a contract and they think they will get a better deal with Kearns. The other city unions, Blue and White collar, endorsed him. I think fire has remained neutral.
    While Brown hasn't been the best Mayor we have had I think he hasn't been the worst, that's Massiello's legacy. Anybody who has driven around for any period of time will tell you those homes need to come down. They sre, for the most part, cheaply built hundred year old cottages. We don't have the population to sustain them. If, by some miracle the people return they would make poor accomidations that would cost more to repair than rebuild. Anybody with half a brain would realize that. In addition they were built in close proximity on tiny lots with little or no yard. It's not urban living at it's best to say the least.
    The one sunset thing needs to be looked at. At least people seems to want to look at it this time. Unlike the Breckinridge brewpub that wasted even more money. But that was Massiello. He got a pass in the Buffalo News because he was the Buffalo Niagara Partnerships boy. Paladino seemed to like him a lot too. Brown dosen't kiss thier butt like Tony did. That's why they want him out. My point is that Brown's administration isn't the first to make some development mistakes, nor will his be the last. But I don't want a return to where a few influential rich devlopers get all the breaks and the small business guys and unconnected entrepanuers get locked out. It's not good for Buffalo.
    I don't think Brown has been a fire ball of dynamic leadership. But I think he has a done a fariley decent job of budgeting the city in some very trying times.
    Kearns has shown me nothing, particularly in his own district, and when it comes to running the city I don't think on the job training is an option.
    One more reason, and to me, as a South Buffalo Resident, an important one.
    The Kearns campaign actually sent a letter through out the rest of the city, carefully keeping it away from South Buffalo, his district mind you, complaining how Brown has favored South Buffalo over the rest of the city. Crying about how he has spent money on neighborhood improvments as compared to the rest of the city. How he hired six department heads that live in South Buffalo. He never mentioned that half those department heads have been there before Brown came to office.
    He never stated the true fact that those improvments were needed out here because for twelve years under Masiello, South Buffalo was neglected and the administration didn't spend a dime out here.
    This is a guy who is supposed to represent us on the council? Complaining around town that the Mayor spent too much in his district? If you live in South Buffalo you'd have to be an idiot to vote for him. He speaks out of both sides of his mouth in his quest for higher office and he is doing it at the expense of the people he was elected to represent in his own district.
    And that's why I won't vote for Mickey Kearns.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

have to disagree with you on PBA endorsement

We are lied to on a continual basis with Brown. Our contract language means nothing to him and his administration. I know you guys have a contract thus your endorsement. But his constant meddling in Police affairs is a negative in my view. Anyone with this knowledge would have to be a fool to vote for Brown.

As far as the One Sunset missing 90k. Can you be sure nothing was kicked back to Brown for his rubber stamping the money the City " loaned" him through federal money ?

What scandalous behavior has been linked to Kearns ? And what about Brown ?

And as far as him managing City funds . The Control Board does that. He has to get approval for any expendature over 50k.

I thought the Fire Dept should have voted in that last contract. I'm not a Fireman. They saw it differently. They are trying to negotiate a contract. Did you see or hear their reaction to Brown at the McCarthy funeral ? I did, was standing amongst them when Byron arrived. Witnessed the black Firefighter that got in his face, expressed his displeasure, and is now being brought in for a "conference". I can tell you , the rank and file is not endorsing Byron Brown.

So for me it is largely a anti Brown vote. I could never vote for the guy. Maybe he deals with your Dept differently. So be it. I'm hoping for a Kearns win on Tues.

I agree with you that fire missed an opportunity. That was more of an anti-Foley vote than anything else. Many firemen agree they may have been a bit shortsighted.
    You guys deserve a contract. I just don't think it matters who the mayor is in that respect. It's not good politics. And the control board hates you worse than they do the teachers.
    Brown isn't that stupid that he'd take a kick back from development money. I think an investigation will show that Stokes and some of the administrators may have personally "used" the bulk of the unaccounted funds for personal reasons. Maybe they intended to pay it back. Maybe they thought they could get away with skimming it.
    In any case Brown may have been to trusting of the development staff. That might be the most he's guilty of. He didn't need that money and I don't think he stoop to such a petty level.
    Kearns hasn't been in office long enough to be in such a situation so it's kind of misleading to say he is scandal free. Has the opportunity presented itself on that level?
    Again the thing I find most distasteful (and surprizing) about Kearns is that letter he sent to the other sides of the city. Is he saying Vote for me because I haven't done anything for South Buffalo? Brown did it all?
    On the flip side if he sent it out around here he would be saying vote for me even though Byron did a lot for you.
    He 's trying to secure votes outside of the neighborhood at our expense while saying what a great job he's done in South Buffalo.
    So who is responsible for those accomplisments in The South district? If you belive Kearns literature, than you would have to agree it was Brown. Or would MIckey lie just to get votes.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Bravo

BRAVO !!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by citymouse View Post
    While I have stayed away from expressing any opinion in this race I have been paying close attention and think it's time. I will not be voting for Mickey Kearns in this primary. I hope others look at the facts and agree with me.

There are are a number of reasons. First as a South Buffalo resident,I feel that Kearns hasn't been an effective councilman. I can't think of one thing he has done for this community, other than to slam it in his campaign literature (which I will get to later). The other two representatives we have on a local level State and County are much more visible and have contributed to quality of life issues, such as adult education in Schroders case for one example. I haven't seen this from Kearns. In fact it seems he lacks the ability to work with others in office. Hopefully that will be brought out in the next South district council contest.

I don't think you can use the excuse his hands are tied politically on the common council. He is in the majority there. But I haven't seen his leadership skills there. Brown was a much more effective council person for his Masten district when he represented them then Kearns has proven to be for the South district.

I am also sick of the guilt by association nonsense that is so prevalent in politics. From Obama and Ayers to Brown and Stokes. It's stupid. I do think it was low of Kearns associates to bring up this parking thing a week before the primary create a lot of controversy in the press and then start to back track when it was revealed that it was a lot of nothing. That Stokes was dealt with in the legal system like everybody else. Same fine, same treatment, as the other fourteen who did what he did. The only difference was he may have spoken to the mayor. But we don't even know if that's true because Rivera now says he didn't actually hear it from any police officer but got it "through the grape vine".

I find it ironic that the same people who complain here that the cops contracts are ridiculous are not supporting Brown. The only reason the PBA is going against him is because they don't have a contract and they think they will get a better deal with Kearns. The other city unions, Blue and White collar, endorsed him. I think fire has remained neutral.

While Brown hasn't been the best Mayor we have had I think he hasn't been the worst, that's Massiello's legacy. Anybody who has driven around for any period of time will tell you those homes need to come down. They sre, for the most part, cheaply built hundred year old cottages. We don't have the population to sustain them. If, by some miracle the people return they would make poor accommodations that would cost more to repair than rebuild. Anybody with half a brain would realize that. In addition they were built in close proximity on tiny lots with little or no yard. It's not urban living at it's best to say the least.

The one sunset thing needs to be looked at. At least people seems to want to look at it this time. Unlike the Breckinridge brewpub that wasted even more money. But that was Massiello. He got a pass in the Buffalo News because he was the Buffalo Niagara Partnerships boy. Paladino seemed to like him a lot too. Brown doesn't kiss their butt like Tony did. That's why they want him out. My point is that Brown's administration isn't the first to make some development mistakes, nor will his be the last. But I don't want a return to where a few influential rich developers get all the breaks and the small business guys and unconnected entrepreneurs get locked out. It's not good for Buffalo.

I don't think Brown has been a fire ball of dynamic leadership. But I think he has a done a fairly decent job of budgeting the city in some very trying times.

Kearns has shown me nothing, particularly in his own district, and when it comes to running the city I don't think on the job training is an option.
    One more reason, and to me, as a South Buffalo Resident, an important one.
    The Kearns campaign actually sent a letter through out the rest of the city, carefully keeping it away from South Buffalo, his district mind you, complaining how Brown has favored South Buffalo over the rest of the city. Crying about how he has spent money on neighborhood improvements as compared to the rest of the city. How he hired six department heads that live in South Buffalo. He never mentioned that half those department heads have been there before Brown came to office.

He never stated the true fact that those improvements were needed out here because for twelve years under Masiello, South Buffalo was neglected and the administration didn't spend a dime out here.

This is a guy who is supposed to represent us on the council? Complaining around town that the Mayor spent too much in his district? If you live in South Buffalo you'd have to be an idiot to vote for him. He speaks out of both sides of his mouth in his quest for higher office and he is doing it at the expense of the people he was elected to represent in his own district.
    And that's why I won't vote for Mickey Kearns.
    I have, as anyone can research in our past mutual postings - disagreed many many times with this person/poster.

I would have to say I never thought I would see such an honest appraisal from you. I am completely bowled over.

Bravo!

This folks from a die hard South Buffalo person.
    Don't worry I wont tell the guys at the garage what you wrote
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Deerhunter is a trash slinger - Buffalo Cop

[quote=Deerhunter;543432]We are lied to on a continual basis with Brown. Our contract language means nothing to him and his administration. I know you guys have a contract thus your endorsement. But his constant meddling in Police affairs is a negative in my view. Anyone with this knowledge would have to be a fool to vote for Brown.
    He has provided everything your contract legally calls for - the control board is your enemy.
    __________________________________________________ __________

As far as the One Sunset missing 90k(about your take home last year with overtime?). Can you be sure nothing was kicked back to Brown for his rubber stamping the money the City " loaned" him through federal money ?
    Again, you use trash innuendo to pretend the Mayor was wrong. It was a loan made by the City - not Mayor Brown. You have nothing.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    What scandalous behavior has been linked to Kearns ? Well, thats for his people to deal with - so far your doing pretty good at ignoring the fact he is not ready for such a responsibility.All you have is trash talk.
    __________________________________________________ _______
    And what about Brown ? As far as the Mayor - you guys would blame the Titanic on him if you could!
    __________________________________________________ __________
    And as far as him managing City funds . The Control Board does that. He has to get approval for any expendature over 50k. But your blaming the Mayor - is it the Control Board holding up the thousands of tax dollars you want or the Mayor? Cant have it both ways Officer.
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    I thought the Fire Dept should have voted in that last contract. I'm not a Fireman. They saw it differently. They are trying to negotiate a contract. Did you see or hear their reaction to Brown at the McCarthy funeral ? I did, was standing amongst them when Byron arrived. Witnessed the black Firefighter that got in his face, expressed his displeasure, and is now being brought in for a "conference". I can tell you , the rank and file is not endorsing Byron Brown.
    The clown you speak of - first off wasn't doing a Political show like you are.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    Quit trying to bring the deceased Fire Fighters into this - thats a low life scum bag trick - don't use them to try and justify lining your pockets.

Most Fire Fighters don't dare say they support Mayor Brown - the Majority of upper level power in the Department is held by South Buffalo lock step Committee guys who would make your working life hell if you spoke your mind.
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    So for me it is largely a anti Brown vote. I could never vote for the guy. Maybe he deals with your Dept differently. So be it. I'm hoping for a Kearns win on Tues.

Thats your right - vote for who you like - try and be honest about why - MONEY!
    ( tax dollars)
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

incorrect assumptions 4248

It is Byron Brown that decided to again appeal the Supreme Court Judges ruling, then the Appellate Court Judges rulings. What this does is continue the flow of donation money from the hired law firms the City hires. It prolongs the inevitable payment to the workers, costs the City taxpayers much more money, and lines the pockets of Browns campaign coffers. Look into what the law firms the City uses. The Corporation Counsel doesn't handle any labor issues. Why is that ? Isn't that their job ?

Let's see how the Arbitrator rules in the City ignoring the contract and forcing the Police into a single health care provider, should happen on the 28th of this month. City has stalled this decision since May.

You refer to the Firefighter that expressed his displeasure with Brown a clown ??? He works on Rescue 1, the most active truck in the City, just lost his LT, and you refer to him as , "Clown" You are a sad excuse for a human being. Better yet, go over to the Rescue and say it to his face. hahaha, you'd never do that , keep hiding behind your keyboard.

Thread Information