Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Town of Cheektowaga ??

Town of Cheektowaga ??

Just checked the Town of Cheektowaga official site.........looks like it has not been updated in months. With the town in an emergency situation, shouldn't the site be updated with relevant info such as emergency services information, status of roads, police info ....................and more?

Mary and her Dems thinks you are mistaken everything is fine its only a little snow.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    Just checked the Town of Cheektowaga official site.........looks like it has not been updated in months. With the town in an emergency situation, shouldn't the site be updated with relevant info such as emergency services information, status of roads, police info ....................and more?
    Absolutely. I am going to send an email to all the town council people and the supervisors about the failure of the town, including the town police and the highway superintendent, to keep the residents updated with simple messages.

I'm sure if a TV station wanted to interview them they'd all be crowding the podium knocking each other over to get face time, but not of them seems to have the time to post simple information messages on the town website or facebook pages.

They should all be ashamed of themselves, including the Chief of Police (whose representative at our next home owner's meeting is going to get an earfull from me).

The easiest and most important thing for government to do is communicate with the residents during an emergency. Most people under 30 don't even have TV's so passing announcements on to the TV stations is not going to reach them. And expecting people to wade through all the other BS on the social media pages of the TV stations to find relevant information is crap.

The town supv and her right hand man on the council are senior citizens, they probably don't realize that the way to get info out to the masses would be by the town website. So they would rather have the police and highway get 10,000 phone calls asking "when is my street getting plowed?" than using that internet thingy so the residents can find out for themselves. Plus council members are getting calls from residents, that way they can act like they are actually doing something.

I agree with all of you. I took it upon myself to call our Director of IT and get the website going with updates. The website is TOCNY.org. I have also been posting updates on several Facebook Groups, including "Our Cheektowaga", "You Grew Up in Cheektowaga if....", "You Know You're from South Cheektowaga When..." and my "Diane Benczkowski for Cheektowaga Town Council" Facebook Page. Please keep checking the website for more updates as there will be hourly changes but this is how is stands now:

November Storm Postings

SANITATION UPDATE 11-19-2014
    Due to the emergency weather conditions, garbage was not picked up yesterday and will not be picked up today. Garbage from this week will be picked up as regularly scheduled garbage pickup next week.

The office will keep you posted as to garbage pick up form Thursday and Friday.

HIGHWAY DEPT UPDATE 11-19-2014
    Highway is out working to clean up our streets. Currently, the Highway Department has 20 plows out. PLEASE BE PATIENT. The Highway dept. is working hard and will get to your street.

The Highway Department has 5 Blowers and 20 High-lifts coming today to help with cleanup. 50 Tandem trucks are expected to come in tomorrow to haul snow. According to the Highway Superintendent, "The Town of Clarence and Tonawanda, and Ricky Rusiniak have sent the Town additional equipment to assist the Town. The Department is working hard to clean up the streets."

Highway will keep residents posted.

MEETINGS CANCELLED
    The Zoning Board of Appeals meeting is cancelled tonight. Items from the November meeting will be heard the 3rd Wednesday of December, at the December Zoning Board meeting.

TOWN COURT
    Court and Drug Court are cancelled today. Check the local news stations for updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B! View Post
    I agree with all of you. I took it upon myself to call our Director of IT and get the website going with updates. The website is TOCNY.org. I have also been posting updates on several Facebook Groups, including "Our Cheektowaga", "You Grew Up in Cheektowaga if....", "You Know You're from South Cheektowaga When..." and my "Diane Benczkowski for Cheektowaga Town Council" Facebook Page. Please keep checking the website for more updates as there will be hourly changes but this is how is stands now:

November Storm Postings

Due to the emergency weather conditions, garbage was not picked up yesterday and will not be picked up today. Garbage from this week will be picked up as regularly scheduled garbage pickup next week.

Highway is out working to clean up our streets. Currently, the Highway Department has 20 plows out. PLEASE BE PATIENT. The Highway dept. is working hard and will get to your street.

The Highway Department has 5 Blowers and 20 High-lifts coming today to help with cleanup. 50 Tandem trucks are expected to come in tomorrow to haul snow. According to the Highway Superintendent, "The Town of Clarence and Tonawanda, and Ricky Rusiniak have sent the Town additional equipment to assist the Town. The Department is working hard to clean up the streets."

MEETINGS CANCELLED
    The Zoning Board of Appeals meeting is cancelled tonight. Items from the November meeting will be heard the 3rd Wednesday of December, at the December Zoning Board meeting.

TOWN COURT
    Court and Drug Court are cancelled today. Check the local news stations for updates.
    thank you Diane.

November Storm Postings

MEETINGS CANCELLED

TOWN COURT
    That's what I'm talking about! Great communication. Maybe M Holtz could use a few lessons from you!

UPDATE FROM HIGHWAY: National Guard is in Cheektowaga now!! They are working their way down French Road from Union and then they are going to spread up towards Borden and down Union with other contractors. Because of the 6 to 8ft of snow, Highway needs payloaders and snowthrowers. Plows cannot do the job at this point. Help is on the way so be patient.

Also:

Driving Ban 11-19-2014
    The Cheektowaga Police Dept has issues a driving ban in the town. Please stay off the roads.

SANITATION 11-19-2014
    No garbage pick up tomorrow. Thursday garbage pick up will be postposed until next Thursday.

Diane, How come it took fish fry so long to get his plows ready.. packers in the highway dept tell me he never started to get plows on the trucks until monday night..
    Why are all these people calling into Wben that the streets are not getting plowed...
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    Diane, How come it took fish fry so long to get his plows ready.. packers in the highway dept tell me he never started to get plows on the trucks until monday night..
    Why are all these people calling into Wben that the streets are not getting plowed...
    This is what I know......The highway crew was called out when the storm was approaching and all the highway department equipment was on the road as soon as the storm hit! If someone is trying to measure the current road conditions in South Cheektowaga, you can't. This is an unprecedented storm and a storm of this magnitude has never hit our town. Cheektowaga is not the only town experiencing this overwhelming amount of snow removal. South Buffalo, Lancaster, West Seneca, Depew, Alden, Lackawanna and Hamburg are all in the same dire situation. Part of the problem that made it difficult for the Highway crews to get down the streets was people who ventured out in the storm and got stuck. This hampered the Highway crews efforts to get to all our streets sooner. I know it is frustrating for everyone, but let's keep it in perspective - this doesn't happen everyday.
    Last edited by Diane B!; November 19th, 2014 at 07:18 PM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Totally agree. I'm only a 1/2 century old and have never saw so much so in 24 hours.

This is what I know......The highway crew was called out when the storm was approaching and all the highway department equipment was on the road as soon as the storm hit! If someone is trying to measure the current road conditions in South Cheektowaga, you can't. This is an unprecedented storm and a storm of this magnitude has never hit our town. Cheektowaga is not the only town experiencing this overwhelming amount of snow removal. South Buffalo, Lancaster, West Seneca, Depew, Alden, Lackawanna and Hamburg are all in the same dire situation. Part of the problem that made it difficult for the Highway crews to get down the streets was people who ventured out in the storm and got stuck. This hampered the Highway crews efforts to get to all our streets sooner. I know it is frustrating for everyone, but let's keep it in perspective - this doesn't happen everyday.
    This is also a week many people take off to go hunting. A couple of decades ago that caused a real problem for the Amherst Highway Department when a pre-Thanksgiving storm hit.

So there are lots of factors that have an impact BUT our government should have a plan for such disasters. They have had 37 years to device a disaster plan since the Blizzard of 77. Are you telling us that if we asked Mark what is the plan if we get hit with another Blizzard of 77 his answer would be "we'll wing it"?

I'm not saying the plan has to get everything cleared up and back to normal in any set amount of time - we have only so much equipment and so many employees. But there should be a disaster plan to manage the problems that can easily be perceived ahead of time.

For example, some have suggested that simply extending vent pipes to 8 or 10 feet would have eliminated most of the problems and related calls for help. If pipes can be extended that way (I don't know that they can) the perhaps our building code should require it the way we require all new installs of hot water heaters, furnaces, air conditioners, and electrical panels to have a hardwired fire/smoke/co detector installed.

A plan might also focus on opening the most critical streets - like the the ones for hospitals, non-hospital emergency care centers and fire houses first.

The plan could provide for things as simple as access to the dmv records for registration of snowmobile owners to allow fire districts to contact them for help.

Does such a plan exist? If so why not make it public so the public can comment on it? Sure, there would be a lot of comments about "why not my street first...." but at least the public would know that our government officials had put some thought into devising a plan for a snowstorm like the blizzard of 77.

Just hoping it won't happen again is irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    This is also a week many people take off to go hunting. A couple of decades ago that caused a real problem for the Amherst Highway Department when a pre-Thanksgiving storm hit.

So there are lots of factors that have an impact BUT our government should have a plan for such disasters. They have had 37 years to device a disaster plan since the Blizzard of 77. Are you telling us that if we asked Mark what is the plan if we get hit with another Blizzard of 77 his answer would be "we'll wing it"?

I'm not saying the plan has to get everything cleared up and back to normal in any set amount of time - we have only so much equipment and so many employees. But there should be a disaster plan to manage the problems that can easily be perceived ahead of time.

For example, some have suggested that simply extending vent pipes to 8 or 10 feet would have eliminated most of the problems and related calls for help. If pipes can be extended that way (I don't know that they can) the perhaps our building code should require it the way we require all new installs of hot water heaters, furnaces, air conditioners, and electrical panels to have a hardwired fire/smoke/co detector installed.

A plan might also focus on opening the most critical streets - like the the ones for hospitals, non-hospital emergency care centers and fire houses first.

The plan could provide for things as simple as access to the dmv records for registration of snowmobile owners to allow fire districts to contact them for help.

Does such a plan exist? If so why not make it public so the public can comment on it? Sure, there would be a lot of comments about "why not my street first...." but at least the public would know that our government officials had put some thought into devising a plan for a snowstorm like the blizzard of 77.

Just hoping it won't happen again is irresponsible.
    Ng.. most governments don't have a plan well maybe they do some. They just cant get the plan moving .. Did you see the goofball politicians at the NYS barn on walden today. Love mayor erkel no damn clue at all but had his new hat on.. What a bunch..

Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    Ng.. most governments don't have a plan well maybe they do some. They just cant get the plan moving .. Did you see the goofball politicians at the NYS barn on walden today. Love mayor erkel no damn clue at all but had his new hat on.. What a bunch..
    The barn fest will go down as one of the most useless idiotic events of the storm. first, it was held in the middle of a travel ban area. How the hell did the posse and the press get there without Polancarz issuing each of them a tickit?

Second, the gov blamed the people who got stuck for getting stuck, then 6 hours later his office had to issue a take back when the media started interviewing people who got stuck.

Third, if everyone in that barn spend the hour shoveling a neighbor's vent, about 200 people would have had their vents cleared.

The first provision in any emergency plan should be no podiums allowed and no one allowed to stand behind the spokesperson.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    The barn fest will go down as one of the most useless idiotic events of the storm. first, it was held in the middle of a travel ban area. How the hell did the posse and the press get there without Polancarz issuing each of them a tickit?

Second, the gov blamed the people who got stuck for getting stuck, then 6 hours later his office had to issue a take back when the media started interviewing people who got stuck.

Third, if everyone in that barn spend the hour shoveling a neighbor's vent, about 200 people would have had their vents cleared.

The first provision in any emergency plan should be no podiums allowed and no one allowed to stand behind the spokesperson.
    yep... right on cuomo blamed the drivers on 90 for getting stuck, then most of these people were saved by citizens not cops or highway crews. then erkel said this storm went better than last one he such a tool ..

troopers should of been on the road not in the barn and everyone should have been on the road working.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information